Coffee in the bush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have one of these...
sport_preszo.jpg

The aluminum box measures about 14x8x6 cm and contains a two cup espresso maker, a tiny hexi stove, two containers for coffee and sugar, two cups, two spoons and two lifting tools.

However it doesn't get any serious use I generally just spoon coffee into a can like Tor helge.
:)

Last edited:

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I just a GSI Outdoors 1 cup aluminium Espresso set as a present,
55201_h1_g-486x376.jpg
More info here.

Haven't used it yet but it looks a good solid piece of kit. Any one used one ?

I've got one. Makes a nice coffee but the trouble is that the base is so small that it didn't fit on any of my stoves:rolleyes: I had to get a grill to stand it on. That and you will find that you will find that the coffee making sequence goes like this..

Fill with coffee & water.
Put onto the heat.
Sit waiting for the coffee to come out (During this time a friend will turn up).
Coffee ready, friend says that the little machine is brilliant and could thay have a coffee too.
Ow Oww HOT. Unscrew the top off machine and try and empty coffee grounds from it. Difficult and fiddly and burny.
go to step 1.

I did manage to break the spout tube on mine when it was in my pack but I took it back to where I got it fromm and explained and they sent off to manufacturers and they sent me a new one FOC.

Basically it makes a lovely coffee but is a bit of a PITA with the faf.

Cheers

Grebby

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I can't remember the make, but my mum got me all-in-one coffee cup-cum-press in one of those kitchen shops... basically it works like a small Bodum press, but in an insulated cup... I use this for out door camping...
Only down side is you get just one cup at a time..if I want several morning starter cups I use a Melitta filet holder and a stainless coffee pot. You do need a paper or mesh filter too, but I find this a useful method. The stainless pot can go back on the stove or fire between cups to keep the coffe hot.
Re: coffee brand, I'm a bit spoiled living in France as there is a very wide selection of ground coffees.. The only I like at present is 'L'Or' by 'Maison du Café'
cheers
Gareth

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Bowhunting in Montana a few years ago I was served 'coffee' by an old-time trapper who was 'working out his retirement' as a camp cook and hunt guide. He boiled the coffee in a traditional coffee pot (think any old cowboy movie) on an iron grid over the coals of an open fire.

Three handfuls of coffee, a good pinch of salt and he always, but always added the shell from a fresh egg. He cracked the egg, drank the egg white and yolk raw and then simply crushed the shell and threw it in. He insisted on bringing the pot to the boil three times in succession, after which he was happy to serve it.

I don't know whether it was the grounds, the hunting camp environment, the hard work and fresh air or the great company on that trip, but it was the best coffee I have ever tasted bar none and I wish I had asked more questions when I had the opportunity. Dan, the old guy who made it, sadly died a few months after I last spoke with him. He was one of those 'made out of rawhide and rope' characters and I was astonished to learn that although nobody (himself included) actually knew how old he was, he was certainly well into his late nineties when he passed.

I am a fan of Taylors of Harrogate Christmas Blend. I pre-pack the right amount of coffee and brown sugar in ziplock bags for a single cup when I'm going on solo trips, or I repeat the process using larger bags when I'm out with friends, adjusting quantities and coffee/sugar mix to taste and depending on the number of people on the trip. That way any accidental spills are limited to a single 'serving', as is any damage done by excessive moisture or similar problems. It's also easier to do a brew in near absolute darkness if you know with absolute certainty that what you are using is going to result in the brew you want. No guesswork, and each portion is individually protected and accessible.

I also carry coffee creamers and bring the empty pots back home with me or, at a push, coffeemate, but I can just as easily cope with it black. I am in Holland for a week or two usually every five or six weeks and, when I can, I always bring back a carton or two of their coffee cream. It's a weird, long-life product that doesn't need refrigerating and, as a result, it can be carried with you in any suitable liquids container.

Although I like to use cafetiere grounds I don't bother with a filter - some years ago in Croatia I was shown how to make a cup of real coffee with cafetiere grounds but without the cafetiere and, basically, the process simply consists of putting the grounds in your cup, adding hot water and letting your cup settle to allow the ground to go to the bottom under their own steam (no pun intended). It can take several minutes, so I usually do a double hit where the coffee cup is 2/3 filled, left to settle and then very gently (to prevent the grounds stirring up) topped up with freshly boiled water. An alternate method is to slowly and gently pour off the coffee from the first cup to a second, top that up with hot water and leave the grounds behind completely in the first cup.

Yeah, I know, I need to get out more, but I like my coffee...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Those old pots are great. I still have one I always take camping if weight/bulk or not a consideration. Besides making coffee I also just fill it with water and leave it near the fire so I always have hot water in camp.

Yeah the company and surroundings definitely have that effect on me too.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Fin this is going to :pokenest: but lighter fuel isn't far off Coleman fuel just loads cheaper so I actually meant to buy lighter fuel tins from the local tobacconists shops as you travel round and use it in the stove then your not carrying weight on the bike. You can of course save the empty tins. Don't forget the "Peacock" type hand warmers run on lighter fuel and I personally wouldn't run them on petrol though I run our hand warmers on Panel wipe.
once again apologies to Mike for off-track
cheers Danny
Lighter fuel will work but they are as different as petrol and parrafin. Because they ARE petrol and parrafin. Coleman Fuel is just white gasoline and lighter fuel is just de-scented (mostly de-scented) parrafin.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Lighter fuel will work but they are as different as petrol and parrafin. Because they ARE petrol and parrafin. Coleman Fuel is just white gasoline and lighter fuel is just de-scented (mostly de-scented) parrafin.

Coleman fuel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
White gas, exemplified by Coleman Camp Fuel, is a common naphtha fuel used in many lanterns and torches

Coleman fuel is a petroleum naphtha product marketed by The Coleman Company. Historically called white gas, it is a liquid petroleum fuel (100% light hydrotreated distillate) sold in one gallon cans.[1] It is used primarily for fueling lanterns and camp stoves. Originally, it was simply casing-head gas or drip gas which has similar properties.

Coleman fuel has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and none of the additives found in modern gasoline.[2] It has a lower molecular weight than gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel and cannot be used as a substitute for any of those fuels in modern engines.[2]

The flammability of Coleman Fuel is similar to gasoline; however, it should never be used in modern era gasoline engines. Its high heat of combustion and lack of octane boosting additives like tetra-ethyl lead will destroy engine valves, and its low octane
--------------------------
Kerosene
For other uses, see Kerosene (disambiguation).
A kerosene bottle, containing blue dyed kerosene. Kerosene is typically in a blue (or blue labeled) container.

Kerosene, sometimes spelled kerosine in scientific and industrial usage,[1] also known as paraffin in the United Kingdom and South Africa, is a combustible hydrocarbon liquid. The name is derived from Greek keros (κηρός wax). The word Kerosene was registered as a trademark by Abraham Gesner in 1854 and for several years only the North American Gas Light Company and the Downer Company (to which Gesner had granted the right) were allowed to call their lamp oil kerosene.[2] It eventually became a genericized trademark.

In the United Kingdom there are two grades of heating oil under this name - Premium Kerosene (more commonly known in the UK as Paraffin) BS2869 Class C1, the lightest grade which is usually used for lanterns, wick heaters, and combustion engines; and Standard Kerosene to BS2869 Class C2, a heavier distillate, which is used as domestic heating oil.

Kerosene is usually called paraffin (sometimes paraffin oil) in Southeast Asia and South Africa (not to be confused with the much more viscous paraffin oil used as a laxative, or the waxy solid also called paraffin wax or just paraffin); the term kerosene is usual in much of Canada, the United States, Australia (where it is usually referred to colloquially as kero) and New Zealand.[3]

Kerosene is widely used to power jet-engined aircraft (jet fuel) and some rockets, but is also commonly used as a heating fuel and for fire toys such as poi. In parts of Asia, where the price of kerosene is subsidized, it fuels outboard motors rigged on small fishing craft.[citation needed]

Kerosene is typically (and in some jurisdictions legally required to be) stored in a blue container in order to avoid it getting confused with the much more flammable gasoline, which is typically kept in a red container. Diesel fuel is generally stored in yellow containers for the same reason.
-------------------------
cheers Danny

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
4738866555_ba6329a501_b.jpg
[/QUOTE]
What a great sight!

Bowhunting in Montana a few years ago I was served 'coffee' by an old-time trapper who was 'working out his retirement' as a camp cook and hunt guide. He boiled the coffee in a traditional coffee pot (think any old cowboy movie) on an iron grid over the coals of an open fire.

Three handfuls of coffee, a good pinch of salt and he always, but always added the shell from a fresh egg. He cracked the egg, drank the egg white and yolk raw and then simply crushed the shell and threw it in. He insisted on bringing the pot to the boil three times in succession, after which he was happy to serve it.

I don't know whether it was the grounds, the hunting camp environment, the hard work and fresh air or the great company on that trip, but it was the best coffee I have ever tasted bar none and I wish I had asked more questions when I had the opportunity. Dan, the old guy who made it, sadly died a few months after I last spoke with him. He was one of those 'made out of rawhide and rope' characters and I was astonished to learn that although nobody (himself included) actually knew how old he was, he was certainly well into his late nineties when he passed.

I guess he would have added a splash of cold water, too. Combined with the eggshells that would get the coffee clear. As far as I understood, it's the cold water that really does the trick.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
I've got one. Makes a nice coffee but the trouble is that the base is so small that it didn't fit on any of my stoves:rolleyes: I had to get a grill to stand it on. That and you will find that you will find that the coffee making sequence goes like this..

Fill with coffee & water.
Put onto the heat.
Sit waiting for the coffee to come out (During this time a friend will turn up).
Coffee ready, friend says that the little machine is brilliant and could thay have a coffee too.
Ow Oww HOT. Unscrew the top off machine and try and empty coffee grounds from it. Difficult and fiddly and burny.
go to step 1.

I did manage to break the spout tube on mine when it was in my pack but I took it back to where I got it fromm and explained and they sent off to manufacturers and they sent me a new one FOC.

Basically it makes a lovely coffee but is a bit of a PITA with the faf.

Cheers

Grebby

Looks great that!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Coleman fuel
White gas, exemplified by Coleman Camp Fuel, is a common naphtha fuel used in many lanterns and torches

Coleman fuel is a petroleum naphtha product marketed by The Coleman Company. Historically called white gas, it is a liquid petroleum fuel (100% light hydrotreated distillate) sold in one gallon cans.[1] It is used primarily for fueling lanterns and camp stoves. Originally, it was simply casing-head gas or drip gas which has similar properties.

Coleman fuel has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and none of the additives found in modern gasoline.[2] It has a lower molecular weight than gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel and cannot be used as a substitute for any of those fuels in modern engines.[2]

The flammability of Coleman Fuel is similar to gasoline; however, it should never be used in modern era gasoline engines. Its high heat of combustion and lack of octane boosting additives like tetra-ethyl lead will destroy engine valves, and its low octane
--------------------------
Kerosene
For other uses, see Kerosene (disambiguation).
A kerosene bottle, containing blue dyed kerosene. Kerosene is typically in a blue (or blue labeled) container.

Kerosene, sometimes spelled kerosine in scientific and industrial usage,[1] also known as paraffin in the United Kingdom and South Africa, is a combustible hydrocarbon liquid. The name is derived from Greek keros (κηρός wax). The word Kerosene was registered as a trademark by Abraham Gesner in 1854 and for several years only the North American Gas Light Company and the Downer Company (to which Gesner had granted the right) were allowed to call their lamp oil kerosene.[2] It eventually became a genericized trademark.

In the United Kingdom there are two grades of heating oil under this name - Premium Kerosene (more commonly known in the UK as Paraffin) BS2869 Class C1, the lightest grade which is usually used for lanterns, wick heaters, and combustion engines; and Standard Kerosene to BS2869 Class C2, a heavier distillate, which is used as domestic heating oil.

Kerosene is usually called paraffin (sometimes paraffin oil) in Southeast Asia and South Africa (not to be confused with the much more viscous paraffin oil used as a laxative, or the waxy solid also called paraffin wax or just paraffin); the term kerosene is usual in much of Canada, the United States, Australia (where it is usually referred to colloquially as kero) and New Zealand.[3]

Kerosene is widely used to power jet-engined aircraft (jet fuel) and some rockets, but is also commonly used as a heating fuel and for fire toys such as poi. In parts of Asia, where the price of kerosene is subsidized, it fuels outboard motors rigged on small fishing craft.[citation needed]

Kerosene is typically (and in some jurisdictions legally required to be) stored in a blue container in order to avoid it getting confused with the much more flammable gasoline, which is typically kept in a red container. Diesel fuel is generally stored in yellow containers for the same reason.
-------------------------
cheers Danny

Mostly accurate but over here "White Gas" was and still is sold at gas stations using an ordinary gas pump and for use in cars. It may well be the original "Casing" gas or "Drip" gas referred to in Wikipedia, I don't know. Yes it is lower in octane. That was the original reason that lead was introduced into automobile gas in the 1920s or 30s.; To boost octane. The downsides of leaded gasoline were higher pollution levels and engine fowling (the same way lead fowls rifle barrels). That's why unleaded gas was introduced in the 1970s and why it is mandatory now for modern cars to be designed for unleaded use. Unfortunately the newer octane boosting substitutes for lead aren't exactly without their own pollution problems but that's another thread, possibly another forum.

The army made wide use of "Gasoline" lanterns during WWI fueling them from ordinary gas supplies; again possibly "Casing" gas or "Drip" gas. Today the Air Force only buys vehicles and Ground Support Equipment with diesel engines so that we can fuel them with JP-8 (a kerosene/paraffin based jet fuel) when deployed. At least that was the practice when I retired about a decade ago. When I first enlisted, 20 years prior, logistics was a nightmare for POL (Petroleum, Oils and Lubricants) shop who had to calculate and supply fuels for at least 3 (sometimes more) different types of engines.

I use Wikipedia a great deal also but have noticed there are some inaccuracies just like in the old fashioned hard copy encyclopedias. It seems though that it's not exactly an inaccuracy, but rather a vague understanding (on all our parts) as to when white gas evolved from the original "Case" gas into a naphtha fuel. My info in this case comes from memory of white gas being sold in regular stations when I was a kid (it still is but it isn't as common anymore) and from my family who largely still work in the oil industry.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to do more research on the Case gas aspect now that you've piqued my interest.

I wish I could remember the name of the company that makes the multi-fuel lantern. It is a German company and they make one that can use virtually any petroleum based fuel. I last saw it advertised in Cabelas years ago and wanted one then but was unable to justify the cost. It was around $200 even back then compared to an ordinary dual-fuel Coleman at $25. A few companies market backpacking stoves that do that and stoves bring us back to the original object of this thread :)

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mostly accurate but over here "White Gas" was and still is sold at gas stations using an ordinary gas pump and for use in cars.s when I was a kid (it still is but it isn't as common anymore)

Not often found on the pump these days though I thought, a lot of the American stove collectors I talk to have all said how they miss the days of white gas via a pump, stuck to buying gallon cans in the most part.

Be very careful of the new Petromax/Britelyt lanterns/products, the quality is poor, just not as well made as they were; they are not the safest lantern.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not often found on the pump these days though I thought, a lot of the American stove collectors I talk to have all said how they miss the days of white gas via a pump, stuck to buying gallon cans in the most part.

Be very careful of the new Petromax/Britelyt lanterns/products, the quality is poor, just not as well made as they were; they are not the safest lantern.

No, it's not as common. For that matter neither is kerosene but both can be found on the pump in isolated areas. Elsewhere it's only available in tins on the shelf at a dear price. I miss the old days too. Thanks for the warning.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One of the guys lives near the Amish and kerosene and white gas is easy to find there, they use a lot of it I'm told. Do you know how much Coleman brand fuel is in the UK? Hold onto your seat........... $70 bucks a US gallon We use alternative white gas sources in the UK lol.

Take a look at www.spiritburner.com, lots of stove and some lantern information, large American membership too.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Got to say I'm really impressed with these new "Starbucks Microgrind" saches. I picked up a few from Tesco. They're actually really good. £1 for 3, or £2 for 7. Not exactly in the same league for cost as filtered, but then you have to take in ease of use and space required.

starbucks_via.jpg

Have to agree, this stuff is a revelation. At home, I buy my beans freshly roasted from hasbean, or pre-roasted from Whittards if I'm being lazy, I grind on a burr-mill grinder and extract using a beautiful La Pavoni Professional hand press. Espresso doesnt get any better than that - god-shots all the way. Sometimes I'll use a French press if there are few people to serve and previously I've used an aeropress when car-camping. I never use coffee pots or percolators because they steep the coffee making it over-extracted and bitter. Percolated coffee is almost as foul as instant IMO. But whatever method you use, when backpacking all the paraphernalia is just way too heavy to carry, so it's either that foul drek known as instant coffee, or tea. No choice really.

However, these new Starbucks VIA sachets are a revelation. It's instant coffee, but it's mixed with micro-ground real coffee that goes into suspension when water is added. The result is a cup of instant coffee that does a very, very good approximation of the real thing. It's not quite as good as the real thing, and real coffee aficionados will certainly tell the difference, but many cant. It's close enough for me to be a very acceptable alternative when practicality is a consideration and for backpacking, they are absolutely ideal. So if you are a real coffee lover who has simply written off the notion of instant coffee as universally horrible, give these a go. You wont drink it as a first choice at home, but for backpacking, it will definitely give you pause when trying to decide whether to carry all your usual coffee junk ...or a few sachets of VIA. Two sachets in a cup first thing, will give you a caffeine hit that will have your teeth rattling. :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE