Coffee Cups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
https://www.kambukka.com/en/byron-20-oz?id=26

That's what I've been using for the last few months, well impressed. Tenner in Tesco.

Edited to add that the reason I got it in the first place was the way the lid seals, it's fantastic. I make a drink in a morning, seal the mug, and then throw it in my work bag to drink on my way, zero leaks so far.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I got this mug when I visited a Wild Bean Cafe in a BP.

Excellent value for the £7.50 I paid for it at the time. The lid has a good leak proof seal on the mouthpiece and it keeps hot drinks hot for ages

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Don't know how I've lived so long without ever buying take away coffee in a throwaway cup. They are totally unnecessary and a concept contrary to care for the environment: surely a basic tenet of bushcraft. They exist only to maximise profit for a dubious business.

I make my own coffee and drink it from an artisan made mug.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I practically never buy take away coffee either, I mainly use it at work, we're only allowed to use certain types of mug and this one fitted the bill nicely, just lucky really that it's turned out to be very good.

I just googled our local Tesco and they have stock at £8.50. How good is the leakproof lid system? I don't need waterproof, but it would need to survive sloshing about.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I just googled our local Tesco and they have stock at £8.50. How good is the leakproof lid system? I don't need waterproof, but it would need to survive sloshing about.

I'd say it's waterproof. Mine goes in my work bag, which gets treated with minimal respect, I've had no problems with leaks so far.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have something similar - bought a two pack from Costco, possibly an old Westloop.
It’s as good as a flask, you can lock the lid and no leak.
One tip, press the button to open the drinking slot away from your face, as pressure can build up and you get a slight spray.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I usually have about 2 & 1/2 to 3 cups first thing in the morning using an ordinary ceramic mug. Then while out and about (on the road) I'll have another cup or two (or maybe an occasional hot chocolate) using a covered insulated tumbler similar to what others have already shown. They sell them pretty much everywhere, they work well, ant the refills are only about half the price you'd pay if you bought it in the disposable cups (plus the first fill of coffee's usually free when you but the cup) Likewise if I want to use the hard cup for soda refills I still get the same half price discount.

All that said, most places will let you refill the disposable cups at the refill price.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
If I'm driving in the car, I usually have a thermal (non-branded) type mug, one that fits the cup holder, then just use that in the motorway coffee shops etc. They usually have no problems as it's quite a big cup, but no-one's offered me a discount for using it. If I'm out and about, then I use the Highlander mug with the twist off lid (and that funny bit no one ever uses inside the lid, but apparently it's for spare tea bags etc). It doesn't usually get a chance to cool down. :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Keep buying them, and burn the rubbish. I'm sure it's another government "cause". The ammount of plastic film in a cup is far outweighed by plastic bags and film elsewhere. Go back to good old fashioned polystyrene, that is recyclable more easily.

Or coat the cups in the biodegradable plastic ?

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I can't see how this can work in places like macdonalds? do i give them the cup at window one and then collect it agian with my meal? Just going to end up been lumbered with the 25p tax that 5% actually goes to improving recycling.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can't see how this can work in places like macdonalds? do i give them the cup at window one and then collect it agian with my meal? Just going to end up been lumbered with the 25p tax that 5% actually goes to improving recycling.
I don't use the drive though very much but I see a few people bring their own thermal cups inside. McDonald's here usually gives free refills like a regular restaurant (not when you return but as long as you're there for the meal in which you bought the first cupfull) Likewise with sodas.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I don't use the drive though very much but I see a few people bring their own thermal cups inside. McDonald's here usually gives free refills like a regular restaurant (not when you return but as long as you're there for the meal in which you bought the first cupfull) Likewise with sodas.
Yeah it's different here the coffee machine is behind the counter, so is the soda. No free refunds I'm afraid so you'd have to give the server your mug and ask them to fill it

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Reactions: santaman2000

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
https://www.kambukka.com/en/byron-20-oz?id=26

That's what I've been using for the last few months, well impressed. Tenner in Tesco.

Edited to add that the reason I got it in the first place was the way the lid seals, it's fantastic. I make a drink in a morning, seal the mug, and then throw it in my work bag to drink on my way, zero leaks so far.

Picked up a couple at £8.50 a pop. Madam is happy she doesn't have to use grubby work mugs anymore, and can carry it on the bus when she takes one of her people out (care worker for the delightfully bewildered, bless her).

For me, great in the car, and in our chilly bunglalow where I throw away too much cold tea and coffee. Good heads up Stu, cheers. :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Picked up a couple at £8.50 a pop. Madam is happy she doesn't have to use grubby work mugs anymore, and can carry it on the bus when she takes one of her people out (care worker for the delightfully bewildered, bless her).

For me, great in the car, and in our chilly bunglalow where I throw away too much cold tea and coffee. Good heads up Stu, cheers. :)

No problem at all, I hope you get good use out of them both.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah it's different here the coffee machine is behind the counter, so is the soda. No free refunds I'm afraid so you'd have to give the server your mug and ask them to fill it

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
The coffee's still behind the counter here as well (in McDonald's anyway) I give them my cup to refill. In one of the fast food places I eat often (What-a-Burger) the urn is out in the lobby for self service. Apart from those two I really don't know how the other fast food places are set up. In all regular restaurants the servers come round with urns of hot coffee to refill cups.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE