Cocker Spaniel help please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As some of you might know, I 'adopted' a six year old cocker spaniel bitch, about 5 months ago.
This is Molly:
IMGP0046copy6mollycopyresized.jpg

Her original owners had been expecting her to come into season fairly soon but she's only just started.

I've had no experience of this in the past and am just wondering, if anyone can tell me how long it lasts and whether she needs any special care/feed/attention etc.:confused:

any advice appreciated:eek:

cheers

R.B.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Hi Steve,
Here's some info I found.

"Season" is one of the many terms used for the time when a bitch is fertile and can become pregnant if she is mated by a male dog. Others are coming "in heat", "in use" or "oestrus".

Most bitches have their first season at around 6 or 8 months old.

The first sign is likely to be a slight discharge of white or pale yellow mucus from the vulva which may also swell slightly. The vulva is the opening to her womb, through which puppies would be born, not where she wees. After a day or so, the discharge becomes blood-stained and the vulva swells much more. The main discharge continues for the first 5 to 10 days of the season, which is technically called "pro-oestrus". After this it will gradually reduce until it dries up altogether - this part of the cycle is officially called "oestrus".

Sometimes it can be difficult to recongsise a first season, especially if the discharge is slight and you haven't owned a bitch before. If you're not sure if your bitch is in season, keep her away from male dogs just in case, and ask your vet.

Straight after her season is the time of "metoestrus". You might notice slight physical or behavioural changes (e.g. milk glands enlarging, 'nursing' toys) at the time when puppies would have been born if she had been mated. If this is severe, see your vet as she may need hormone treatment to correct it.

During her season your bitch should be able to keep herself clean but you may need to wipe carpets etc or keep a cover on her favourite chair if her discharge is heavy. This varies quite a bit from bitch to bitch. Some bitches also have temperament changes during their seasons. They may get more affectionate or more irritable, especially with other bitches. (Female hormones, huh?)

You can get sprays or lotions to put on the house, gate or bitch which are supposed to hide the smell and discourage 'admirers'. In my experience some male dogs recognise these scents and know what's behind them, but it might get rid of a couple of the least determined. NB. these products are not contraceptives, and don't stop her being mated or becoming pregnant, they just aim to reduce the number of males camping on your doorstep.

If your garden isn't completely dog proof you will have to go with her when she needs to go out there, since you cannot be sure she hasn't found a particularly athletic type coming over/under/round the fence. You'll find tips about making your garden escape proof here.

Never take a bitch in season to a group walk, dog club or show - it's far too disruptive and unfair on the owners of other dogs.

You can take her for walks but keep her on a lead. Many bitches are just as keen to get to the dogs as the dogs are to get to them, and she may be inclined to disappear. If local canine Romeos become a pest, don't do anything that they might see as an attack or which might result in physical damage. Carry a loaded water pistol for emergencies - most dogs have their ardour cooled by an unexpected blast of cold water.

In general, unless you neuter your puppy, you can expect her to come into season about twice a year. The pro-oestrus and oestrus together last around 21 days, and she must be kept away from dogs for the whole three weeks since it isn't possible to tell exactly when she is fertile.

If, despite your best efforts, she does get out (or someone else gets in) ask your vet if she is a suitable candidate for a hormone injection to prevent her becoming pregnant. This has to be given within a specific time limit so get in touch with the vet immediately. It has some side effects but is often vastly preferable to trying to care for and re-home a dozen unplanned puppies, especially if she is little more than a puppy herself!

More info here.

ATB

Eric

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Top tip if you keep the dog indoors.

Get some old pairs of boxer shorts, put them over the back legs with her tail poking out of the pee hole.
This acts like a nappy and stops drips of blood going all over the floor.

Cracking looking dog btw.

rancid badger

thanks for the info and kind comments;)

She is not allowed in the house at all, so the mess is fairly easy to cope with. She's going to be spayed(sp?) once she's out of season. I'd have liked to have her mated and keep one of her pups but it's not really practical.

thanks again all;)

atb

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE