Hypothermia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
The single best bit of advice I have been given on the subject, from a very well respected and experienced Guide, was "all this talk of stumbling and irrational behaviour, well at that stage you are in a casualty situation, waiting for rescue most likely, its just too late. Look at people in your group, regularly, look at their face colour, they start looking pale tell them to put on a jumper and eat something. Stop it before its an incident"
OK its not always that easy, but he is absolutely right, if you can stop it before the classic symptoms manifest that has to be best.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Nice post Greger. :) A good simplified summary.

2 great videos from Dr Gordon Giesbrecht from University of Manitoba on self rescue, rescueing others, and lifesaving techiniques after an icy dunk;

Part 2 linked to in the video.

Here's part 2 for convenience. It's well worth watching and features drying / re-warming after a cold dunking, tricky fire-making & shelter building:

[video=youtube;DyBVWrqvkEg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBVWrqvkEg[/video]

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I would say that second video is definately an education. What I have learned from that is that hypothermia creeps up on you, and it may not impact you until some time after the initial cold exposure. I expect that is why it is such an insidious killer, in that if you don't take action soon enough, then you will run out of energy to keep warm.

The other two points I noticed is number one, unlike Bear Grylls he did not immediatly get naked and jump around
And number two, he used and recommended a whistle, which did not freeze to his lips.

It was also realistic in the time it took to get a fire going, I am reminded of that Jack London story now.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I would say that second video is definately an education. What I have learned from that is that hypothermia creeps up on you, and it may not impact you until some time after the initial cold exposure. I expect that is why it is such an insidious killer, in that if you don't take action soon enough, then you will run out of energy to keep warm.

The other two points I noticed is number one, unlike Bear Grylls he did not immediatly get naked and jump around
And number two, he used and recommended a whistle, which did not freeze to his lips.

It was also realistic in the time it took to get a fire going, I am reminded of that Jack London story now.

We had firelighting emergency firelighting drilled into us on the arctic survival course more than anything else. A fire will save your life and you need to be proficient in starting a fire quickly. It was a real eye opener watching them struggle in the vid to get one going, it's obviously something they hadn't practiced too much.
We were taught to light the fire, then change clothes or get naked in front of the fire and wring the wet clothes out. Wet clothes generally will be colder than no clothes at all. He didn't remove his clothes probably because he was wearing a shell that vastly reduced cooling by evaporation.

Not always the case though, some clothing systems like Northern Outfitters Vaetrex don't need to be taken off.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
We had firelighting emergency firelighting drilled into us on the arctic survival course more than anything else. A fire will save your life and you need to be proficient in starting a fire quickly. It was a real eye opener watching them struggle in the vid to get one going, it's obviously something they hadn't practiced too much.
We were taught to light the fire, then change clothes or get naked in front of the fire and wring the wet clothes out. Wet clothes generally will be colder than no clothes at all. He didn't remove his clothes probably because he was wearing a shell that vastly reduced cooling by evaporation.

Not always the case though, some clothing systems like Northern Outfitters Vaetrex don't need to be taken off.

I have seen the video of the guy who submerged himself in a lake wearing a buffalo shirt, and then dries it off as he walks away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE