Coat suggestions please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2017
lincs
Hi Guys.

I'm an angler/fisherman, looking for a decent coat. Most of my fishing is moving around lure fishing. I like coats with a long back, so if I do sit my waist does not get wet. I detest wax/ hard shell coats, so something soft that does not soak up water.

I have a Musto coat £350 plus Gortex lining, but when wet it weighs a ton, so ok if it doesn't rain.:banged:

I have a summer coat, so this would be mainly for winter, I normally wear a pair of waterproofs under the coat. Must breath too, and have big hood as I wear a cap.

New to the forum by the way, price will depend on the quality.

Thanks all.

Richard.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Wait, so you want a waterproof softshell? Good luck, you'll need it.

I'd just stick with a goretex or similar jacket for downpours, and quickdrying things for normal wear. You requirements just don't make any sense. You wear waterproofs under a coat???

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2016
Scotland
Hi Guys.

I'm an angler/fisherman, looking for a decent coat. Most of my fishing is moving around lure fishing. I like coats with a long back, so if I do sit my waist does not get wet. I detest wax/ hard shell coats, so something soft that does not soak up water.

I have a Musto coat £350 plus Gortex lining, but when wet it weighs a ton, so ok if it doesn't rain.:banged:

I have a summer coat, so this would be mainly for winter, I normally wear a pair of waterproofs under the coat. Must breath too, and have big hood as I wear a cap.

New to the forum by the way, price will depend on the quality.

Thanks all.

Richard.

Most climbing brands will have coats suiting what you require:

1) Climbing brand waterproofs have a long back so as when someone is stretching with ice axes in hand the jacket doesn't pull out from the back of the harness
2) Climbing brand waterproofs also have oversized hoods to accommodate helmets.

Brands worth checking out are Mammut, Mountain Equipment, Rab etc.

You could also look at Arcteryx, but you'd likely need to sell your house & children to afford one of their jackets.

Best

Brynglas

Definitely have a look at Paramo. Great in the wet, completely waterproof and if it tears you can sew it. Their new ranges are a lighter and a bit more fitted. It's the only waterproif gear I use nowadays.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

mutineer

Apr 30, 2013
Hampshire
I would definitely recommend Paramo too although it's not cheap. I think the Halcon is the classic for bird watchers.
But I would think that for a fisherman, a coat with a durable outer and drop liner is best. Ridge line and Seeland are at the affordable end, Harkila and Swazi are at the 2nd mortgage end.

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
Have a look at their eBay store. Search paramo seconds. Just bought one off there myself. Should arrive Friday

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Twodogs of this forum has started making a ventile smock with a wool lining. I haven't really tested it hard yet as it's been too clement since I bought it but it seems very good. If it's like his wool coats it will become iconic in its usefulness! I've gone with a long back on the coats he has made me and I particularly love that feature.

Ventile and wool are very breathable and ventile is pretty waterproof.

Worth a close look. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145087&p=1811603#post1811603

Less breathable would be the Ridgeline Monsoon. The early version of this was a plastic bag apparently, the later Elite model is pretty good in my opinion, though really working hard in it has for me only been humping my shooting kit up range. It's not lined but the it covers enough to be pretty cosy.

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk...te-waterproof-smock-jacket---teak-17965-p.asp

Choice is as always waterproof vs breathability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am a long time Paramo user. It is important to note the two quite different cuts that their coats/smocks now have. Some fit me, and some do not, even in the same size. The ones with a single side seam are good, but I cannot get on with those with double side seams. Asked Paramo and was fobbed off with some standard marketing blurb about "athletic cut". Anyway, I have always been very happy with the build, water-proof quality, design details, weight and feel. They are warm, which isn't so good in summer or on the move. They also become less waterproof when dirty, so if you sit on a wet, muddy bank, your butt will soon get wet, and then it will keep getting wet until you clean and re-proof. The answer is to carry something to sit on! Or wear urethane/nylon.

I have a ventile coat and while I like a lot about it, it would not be my choice for long term exposure to wet weather simply because once wet it sucks heat from you and requires more insulation. While it is more thorn resistant than the synthetics, it is not more durable and is more prone to wearing through at folds and around the cuffs.

Reactions: Billy-o
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
But I would think that for a fisherman, a coat with a durable outer and drop liner is best. .

Perhaps, if you don't mind camo, the army issue MTP smocks could be an option - the version that has the goretex drop liner, and the siliconised polycotton outer. Usually sold on the likes of ebay such as: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...hash=item4b17c11baf:m:mg4JbFU9izGUhTHxM338sXA (make sure that you are buying one with the MVP lining, not just a standard unlined smock! It basically a copy of the arktis lined smocks.

Aug 27, 2017
lincs
Thats very kind guys, Paramo then. I took a look and the stuff is very nice looking too. As I mentioned I wear waterproof trousers under the coat so sound great. I'm very grateful.

Richard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE