Clothing choices

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
I am looking into my clothing and need to get a bit as far as i know..

So far i have:
Craghopper insulated trousers
Craghopper trousers - solardry
cotton t-shirts
Helly Hansen Waterproof coat
Regatta fleece
Wool socks

I am looking to get merino wool base layers but not sure of the advantage over wool?
Goretex smock/jacket
Boots
few t-shirts, more durable- wool or cotton?
Gloves with wool inners and waterproof covers

Would love recommendations as i've only camped in spring/summer so far and hoping to get out next winter more often

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Are you hiking or glamping?
If your hiking are you going far, up mountains etc?

As your activity level plays a massive part in the type of clothing you want.

Either way though i'd stay well away from cotton tee-shirts.
They're cold and will sap heat away when wet, take ages to dry and will leave you feeling clammy if walking.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Camping mainly but walking in and out, walk 3-10 miles a day when there's time off work

Looking for warmth and quick drying, also need feet and hand protection due to poor blood circulation

Thank you :)

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Seems like you've got the basics. The layering system = baselayers of wool or synthetic (wear cotton only in the desert), long or short depending on the season; midlayer of wool or synthetic such as a fleece, worn as required - I often walk in just baselayer and outer shell, even in winter - and for stops; shell layer of wind and waterproof jacket and trousers. You'll also need a hat - sunhat or warm hat as needed - and gloves.
Good boots and a breathable jacket would be my priorities; you don't need to spend big bucks on big names - shop around.
The advantage of wool & natural materials is they are less smelly than synthetics when worn for days at a time and are more resistant to damage from sparks & heat if you're bushcrafting. Merino is less scratchy on sensitive skin than ordinary wool, but also more expensive.
For mountaineering or general walking when I expect to shower regularly, I wear synthetic baselayers - cheap and easily available!
Happy camping!

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Thank you very much!

At the moment im just out in the days and some nights in the nicer months- just want advice to prepare ready for when it gets cold again! I know its allot of time in advance but i want time to shop around and purchase everything :)

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Meindl makes great boots. Check out their site on www.meindl.de

Swedish Woolpower make great wool clothes. I've got their 400 gram full zip sweater and balaclava. I highly recommend them. The sweater has a long back, that does not creep up when bending over. The neck is high and thick to prevent heatloss.

Regarding breathable hardshells...I've had good experiences with The North Face Summit Series and Mountain Hardwear. Get something with high pockets you can access when wearing a hipbelt. Pit-zips are also important to let heat and moisture out. I've also got some Gore-Tex pants from Haglofs which I've been happy with.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Meindl makes great boots. Check out their site on www.meindl.de

Swedish Woolpower make great wool clothes. I've got their 400 gram full zip sweater and balaclava. I highly recommend them. The sweater has a long back, that does not creep up when bending over. The neck is high and thick to prevent heatloss.

Regarding breathable hardshells...I've had good experiences with The North Face Summit Series and Mountain Hardwear. Get something with high pockets you can access when wearing a hipbelt. Pit-zips are also important to let heat and moisture out. I've also got some Gore-Tex pants from Haglofs which I've been happy with.

Thank you very much! Will look into them now- also found these gloves, http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/888-Buffalo-Mitts-Nato-Green/ look good but i cannot find if the inserts can be taken out and dried separately to the outer waterproof layer?

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
No, buffalo mits are awesome, but don't seperate for washing.

Can be difficult to dry out if conditions stay wet, but as with all buffalo kit, still keeps you warming when wet, just have to grin and bear it in the morning!

Can be epic to get on and off when wet!

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
No, buffalo mits are awesome, but don't seperate for washing.

Can be difficult to dry out if conditions stay wet, but as with all buffalo kit, still keeps you warming when wet, just have to grin and bear it in the morning!

Can be epic to get on and off when wet!

Shame! Im after a good pair of gloves with inners and outers due to poor blood circulation. Doesn't stop me getting out in the winter but get very ill which stops me for a few days/weeks afterwards

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Shame! Im after a good pair of gloves with inners and outers due to poor blood circulation. Doesn't stop me getting out in the winter but get very ill which stops me for a few days/weeks afterwards

A good pair of gloves with removable wool liners? Look no further cause the Hestra Falt Guide Glove is here! :D

They're very expensive, about 80 pounds, but they'll last you a lifetime. Hestra makes nothing but gloves, and if they can survive 75 years only by making gloves, then they must be doing it right.

If the inner liners wear out, then you can get another pair in merino, terryloop wool, etc.

I used mine yesterday on a very rainy and cold overnighter (temps just above freezing). I only brought the outer leather gloves as the wool liners make them too warm for working. Theyre absolutely great.

From their site: http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/outdoor/
Impregnated cowhide and impregnated Army Leather goatskin on the palm.
Removable liner with wool terrycloth on the palm and wool pile on the top of the hand.Eyelet with carabiner. External seams. Securing point for handcuffs.

6558704265_2ec713b901_z.jpg

Gave them some leather balm after the trip. The treatment proloing their life, keep them supple and repels some water.

7101431103_474668b2c3_c.jpg

Last edited:

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
They looks the bee's. if i cannot find any cheaper will give them a go!
Hoping to have a look in army surplus for goretex but i doubt ill have much luck

Been looking at smocks too but all over £200 :eek:

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi Peteo,

Thought I'd throw my tuppence worth in!

I'm a big fan of craghoppers gear, I have several of their soladry shirts and trousers and can testify to how quickly they dry after an unsuspecting shower or stumble into a river!!!

Boots wise I tend to use either hi tech magnums which i find superb all year round or since picking them up in the January sales I got a pair of north face gortex boots (not sure exactly which ones without checking) that are again superb and has been wearing almost constantly since.

With regards a smock have you considered a few decent base layers and either a poncho or simple waterproof jacket.
I usually use a shirt/tshirt, micro fleece and waterproof (extra fleece or cheapish outdoor jacket in cold weather).

Cheers, Hamster

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Hi Peteo,

Thought I'd throw my tuppence worth in!

I'm a big fan of craghoppers gear, I have several of their soladry shirts and trousers and can testify to how quickly they dry after an unsuspecting shower or stumble into a river!!!

Boots wise I tend to use either hi tech magnums which i find superb all year round or since picking them up in the January sales I got a pair of north face gortex boots (not sure exactly which ones without checking) that are again superb and has been wearing almost constantly since.

With regards a smock have you considered a few decent base layers and either a poncho or simple waterproof jacket.
I usually use a shirt/tshirt, micro fleece and waterproof (extra fleece or cheapish outdoor jacket in cold weather).

Cheers, Hamster

Thank you hamster, i will invest in decent base layers but really like the look of a smock although i think their out of my price range, will end up doing exactly as you say

Will look into those boots also :D

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
No problem, also I just noticed andyd us selling an ex army para smock on the classified section here under the title a few bits and pieces.
Not sure if it's what your after but might be worth a look!

Hamster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE