Climbing in the Peak District

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Squidders said:
Living where you are, with lovely coastline and less than an hour to dartmoor, how can you be green with envy?!?

That's just insane!!! :nana:

and besides, it's a bit of a trek for you but why can't you come along?

leon-1

Squidders said:
and besides, it's a bit of a trek for you but why can't you come along?

Firstly, I don't drive (something I am trying to rectify).

Secondly, I am currently working between 5 and 6 nights a week (leaves me a little knackered and not sure of day, week or month half the time).

Last, but not least, my place of work is moving to China and leaving the rest of us mere mortals behind, but I am on a short list for help and as a result could end up in China for a month with a couple of days notice.

As I say I would love to get out and about, but I have a little holiday left (I get 3 weeks total a year) and that will get used around Christmas time. :)

Thanks for asking though, it is appreciated :biggthump

G

Ginja

Squidders said:
I'll keep a close eye on the weather closer to the time and if all goes well it should be a top day

Nice one Squidders, looking forward to it! Don't have any climbing shoes, but I do have a sturdy pair of walking boots (Scarpa SLs) which might be up to it - well, they'll have to be!! Will probably pack a pair of trainers as well, just in case ... but if you can give me some pointers, or recommend a good, cheap brand that'd be useful.

I'll PM ya nearer the time ... and fingers crossed on the weather!

G :)

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Squidders,

You see those darkening clouds in the photo - there only there waiting for me to pluck up the courage to venture on to Stanage again.

Next time I visit its going to be in the Landy for a spot of driving! Mind you even that wont stop the rain.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
EdS the trick is to never try and visit Stanage when the weather is ok... never go on a nice warm day. Stanage is best when it's freezing cold and blowing a gale... that way, you're not going to get rained on... maybe a little snow, but no rain :nana:

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Squidders said:
As for the rest, bouldering will help with the climbing aspect of your ML course. I think they like you to lead at VS or HVS level for that.
Squiders,
The organisation of the leadership qualifications is a bit tricky to get your head round.

Mountain Leader. (ML)
Qualifies you to take groups out walking in the mountains. So there is lots and lots of navigation. There is camping, mountain weather, access etc. And then there is more navigation. :roll:

The Mountain Leader course has NO CLIMBING OR SCRAMBLING. That comes in a subsequent qualification.

I hope that helps.
Jon

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Jon,

I must have been thinking about the SPA... single pitch award... I thought that was a facet of the mountain leaders course but to be honest, I don't really care :wink:

Seems a bit daft, I admit, having a "mountain leaders" qualification where anyone with it caught on an actual mountain would probably fall to their doom :?:

I climb at about E6 and don't really want an organizations approval as to my ability to climb VS safely as climbing in the E grades is inherently dangerous anyway :eek:):

Cheers for the correction though, it's nice having people around with more than my vague information :You_Rock_

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Jon, not at all... If i'm wrong and you're right, by all means correct me :wink:

I don't subscribe to all this PC nonsense as it just stifles peoples ability to express themselves and argue a given point effectively.

Here on the bushcraftuk forums I think that everyone has good motives and I take everything in that manner, it's a rare thing that such a diverse group has such mutual respect and tollerance without being forced to.

...that is apart from tomtom who thrashed me at mini golf and must be beaten severely at the first opportunity :eek:):

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Its interesting isn't it. Someone made a similar comment over on British Blades forum, and people were trying to work out why is it that we are so polite and civil to each other here. On other forums being rude and objectionable seems to be expected.

So in a vain attempt to make myself seem cool and trendy, all I can say to you is :nana:

Jon.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
We are going a bit off the thread but I was amazed the first and only time I went on Jamie Olivers forum. In one thread within about 4 posts there was all out slagging. New people joined in and told others to get off their forum. I couldn't believe it after BCUK. I've hardly seen an arguement on here and it is a better place for it.

Bill

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
A friend of mine just spent the morning driving up, only to find that most of the routes and boulder problems have a bog directly below them.

It's a shame that the weather is so good as I'd rather be out there climbing but given the ground conditions I'm not going to be going up there this weekend :cry:

I hate this country at times!

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
My mates spent the entire day at Burbage South bouldering, apparently it was fantastic, whereas I choose to go for a walk at Castleton. I think I made the wrong decision..... :?:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
That's a shame Joe it would have been good to meet up but I have loads of decorating to do tomorrow anyway so probably for the best.

Bill

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
hobbitboy: was it a little slippery?

tenbears10: aye... maybe it was not to be :cry: I'm hoping for a few good weekends before Christmas. I need to get out climbing more.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Guys, hope you don't mind if I put my bit in.....

Jon's right about the ML not including any climbing...I've only done the training and not the assesment coz (too be honest) I got bored with it.
I am an SPSA (single pitch supervisors award) assesed climber and you do have to climb at a certain level for that (I think about HVS) but the award isn't really about how well you climb...I only lead (or used to lead, haven't climbed for about 4 years due to leg injury) at about E2. The award is mainly about good rope work, group safety, belay set ups, rope care, rescue technques and stuff like that...It's one of those things that you don't realise how usefull it is unless you've done it....for example: in "Touching the Void" when the climber cuts the rope and let Joe fall...an SPSA might have had the skills and knowledge to pop a prussik onto the bottom rope before cutting, thus enabling him to pass the knot through the stitch plate and carry on the decent....daft example but it could be a lifesaver.
There are always heaps of people on the crags that climb way head of anything I'll ever lead but I often watch the way they use their gear and think "How the heck would they get out of that if X or Y happened".

Squidders, as you're a southern based chap like myself, have you been down to Harrison rocks near East Grinstead? It's all sandstone so like a softer version of stanage (did my spsa training there, stanage I mean). There's quite a few routes but also some very good boldering to be done and it's within a day trip for you easy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE