Climbing in the Peak District

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I'm probably going to be in the Peak District for the weekend of the 13th of November.

If anyone here climbes or fancies having a go, I'll be bouldering for the weekend and maybe a few short routes.

So if anyone would like to meet up there or be picked up on route for a weekend / day of pain and trashed finger tips let me know :)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Where are you planning to be in the Peaks Joe? I'm not a million miles away but have to check what I'm doing that weekend.

Bill

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
tenbears10: Probably burbage north, burbage south, stanage plantation and curbar... I'll be camping at the site just below stanage edge, it's quite nice there... just down the road from hathersage.

Kim: Well, at each of the areas I'm going to there are very easy problems (V0 - a ladder) and very hard ones (V13 - a sheet of glass covered in marmite)... I don't know if I'll be taking my rope and gear for leading yet but i'll be bouldering for sure (Short routes that do not require any gear or safety equipment other than a bouldering mat and a spotter). There will be problems you can do :eek:)

Bouldering is loads of fun in groups because you can egg each other on and in November, standing around belaying in the cold can turn you into a popsickle :yikes:

It's also very rewarding and addictive!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Kim, I wouldn't worry about "knowledge"... there are problems I see people doing and I think "how the :***: are they doing that?!?". The main thing needed is enthusiasm and bloodymindedness :wink:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well if you fancy it... come along... it's serious down jacket time of year though up there. Fortunately the outside shop in hathersage do rather fine bacon butties :wink:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I know Stanage Edge but it's a long time since I was last there. I will see what I'm up to and pm you for more details if that's ok.

Bill

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
No worries Bill :)

As a side note, If the weather looks variable that weekend, I may pop up for the day on the Sunday so could collect people on the way through up the M1.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
well as i live practically in the peak district it'd be pretty rude of me not to join you for a bit of bouldering, i'll pm you a bit closer to the date.

stuart.

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Squidders said:
.... Probably burbage north, burbage south, stanage plantation and curbar...
All four places in a weekend :yikes: There will indeed be much "pain and trashed finger tips". Don't forget the superglue. :)

A mass bouldering session in Burbage valley could be fun. A nice place, full range of grades and quick easy access. Did I say its a nice place. :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Jon: well, apart from plantation, they all have nice short walk-ins and there are some problems I want to have a go at in each area... and one route in Curbar I think I may have a go at soloing... are you a climberator?

Shaggystu: Sounds good... the more the merrier :)

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Squidders said:
Jon: well, apart from plantation, they all have nice short walk-ins and there are some problems I want to have a go at in each area... and one route in Curbar I think I may have a go at soloing... are you a climberator?
it has been known for me to indulge in such frivolities. :roll: There used to be callouses on my fingertips but not for a while now. Climbing is much harder than it used to be, I think that gravity is stronger nowadays, it has nothing to do with me weighing more than I used to or having punny arms. :?:

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
a0b03bce.jpg

thegap.jpg

I was up on the Curbar Edge hiking last winter. Beautiful part of the country, only about an hour from me. If I'm free that weekend I'll have a ride over to see you all. Might even have a go at bouldering if someone gives me a bunk up and fits a safety net :nana: :rolmao:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Thanks for tormenting me Martin :nana:

Seeing photos only makes me want to be there!

If the weather is good and you can make it, I can guarantee an entertaining day :wink: aparently I fall off really well.

G

Ginja

Hi Squidders - never been climbing or bouldering before, and the only rope work I've done was climbing up one (badly) in my school gym years ago ... but the Peaks is my local playground, and this sounds like fun!

So if you don't mind being 'handicapped', then I wouldn't mind joining you - assuming I'm free that w'end. Let me know what you think about having a novice along (and be honest! Don't want to burden yer weekend mate!), and I'll pencil it in my diary for now. Got to get my head round this scrambling/bouldering/rope-working lark anyway, as I've got my sights set on a ML qualification some time over the next 18 months or so.

PS: would I need my own rope? Guess this ain't the kind of thing you can trust to nettle cordage ... ?

Cheers,

G (aka Paul)
:)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
EdS: Stanage is LOVELY!!! :nana:

stanage.jpg

Ginja: Well, I certainly don't mind having you along... There's no such thing as a handicap... other than losing toes to frost bite that is and I doubt that'll happen.

As for the rest, bouldering will help with the climbing aspect of your ML course. I think they like you to lead at VS or HVS level for that. I will be taking a single rope up which is good for top rope climbing (I wouldn't advise leading for a novice). I'll be taking some gear for setting belays up and I think I have a spare harness somewhere.

As for shoes, if you're doing the ML course anyway, I would say to buy a pair (from about £45 to £75) or if you don't fancy that outlay before you know how much skin you lose you can climb in stiff boots such as good walking boots or army boots.

If you're coming, I'll probably drag you to Burbage North as it's a little shorter than stanage edge and easier to get your head around for the first time, also the number of routes at stanage that you'd be able to climb can get tied up by top ropes and it's not fair on any other climbers.

Anyway... I'll keep a close eye on the weather closer to the time and if all goes well it should be a top day :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE