Cleveland Way Walk...Picture Heavy

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hey up gents...

In preperation for the charity event Im doing I wanted to do some training, so I decided upon the Cleveland Way, its close (ish) to home and would do the job very well... The pan was 110 miles in 4 days self sustained.

I packed the normal issue bergan with my kit, trying to keep the weight down, most of it was food for the planned 4 day trip, 4 x 24hrs ration packs, 6 x litres of water, a spare change of clothes and a few t/shirts, FAK, torch, sleeping system with tarp poles pegs and guys and few bits and bobs on top. Total weight 30kg........(not so light weight after all)

Started of in Helmsley where we got dropped of by Ian's wife Hellen, took about 30-35 mins from Thirsk. We had a picey or 2, got set with the bergans and we where off at 08:00hrs.

Started at an awesome pace, very quick, I was sweating cobs in no time, the first bits are up hill too. The pace soon slowed though, Ian is not as fit as me and found it hard work, I was loving it as i had not been out for a good old tab for some time.

As we went on Ian found it harder, and harder, stopping every 15 mins or few km. When we reached Sutton Bank myself and Ian taped up our feet, i had the brain wave of braking in my new boot for the first time :(...DOH!!!!!!

We carried on getting to Osmotherly around 18:00hrs, we stopped for some propper food as we had just snacked on bits all day, still no brew as yet either.

Carying on for a spot we had seen on the map Ian was in bits, just at the back of Osmotherly is a steep down hill where Ian got some megga blisters, and my hots spots where giving me a bit of grief.

The weather so far had been very good warm sunny, that is untill Osmotherly when it propper peed down for 20 mins or more, Ian could not waist the 20 mins and fell asleep sat on his bergan...;)

We got to our spot of woods and went of the path some 30 metres and set up camp, I scranned 3 main meals and a pudding just coming inside the golden hour...;) Around 23-24 miles done, not bad for 1 day with 30kg on our backs.

The next day Ian was in bits with bad blisters and general pain all over, I was stiff but once I started walking I was Fine. Ian admited he was bad and would try and walk some more but might have to call it a day. We ended up doing about 7-8 miles to a local village where Hellen came and picked us up...

All in all a little dissapointed we saked it so soon, but respect to Ian for keep going with the blisters he had, it turned I only had hot spots, even with the new boots. Appart from that I loved it, well worth a visit to the Cleveland Way...

Enjoy the pics

regards.

chris.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks a great trip Chris, just rushing out so I'll have a proper butchers when I get back in.

30kg though, my back and shoulders hurt just thinking about it.

Good on you mate

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
30Kg...jeez that would kill me these days!

Love the pictures...the one with Ian (?) falling asleep with head in hand reminds me of sooo many trips!

Thanks for sharing.

Simon

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well as i will have a support team i wont need to carry the camping kit, that will be with the vehicle, i will be crrying warm kit, wet weather kit, food, water, team blister kit, team first aid kit, flares and smoke (emergency signaling), survival shelter and maybe a rope as we pass some cliffs towards the end...

the other team members will just have to carry a bit of food and water.

i dont mind carrying kit its what im used to.. i used to do the Brecon 8 mile CFT rought with 25kg in about 1 hour 30-40 mins, thats good as its a bit of a cheakey rought.....;)

anyway i cant afford to buy kit so it tough...lol...:):):):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE