Cleaver

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
I think I might, I was going to do a video review on the Mora garberg but there are a lot out there already, but maybe something on the use of cleaver's for bushcraft could be better, my sister has an acting agency so dose video portfolio's so it would turn out well shot if nothing else!
Sweet! :) I can't wait to see it ;)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Yeah, I always pray for nice weather too ;)
Well only if I need to do something other wise I don't mind England's dank grayness, it's deliciously depressive, dark and magical with a sense of foreboding, it feels sometimes like I have woken up to find myself in a 70's hammer horror film:D

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Great! I like the bevelled front edge.
I expect to have a 'cutting edge' on my cleavers then a different edge for scooping up the resulting chop.
Cutting edges don't need to be board scrapers as well.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Great! I like the bevelled front edge.
I expect to have a 'cutting edge' on my cleavers then a different edge for scooping up the resulting chop.
Cutting edges don't need to be board scrapers as well.
That's a good point, its the first cleaver I have used with such and extended edge so I am finding my way with making use of it, the round or front heel if you will is good for push through, rocking or scoring cuts, I will now add scooping and scraping to its use:)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The 'nose' on yours is good but I wouldn't make it any sharper than a nice table knife.
I can see picking up lots of food prep on that one.

My oldest cleaver will be turning 50 soon, along with one of my woks!
My two big cleavers are 8" edge x 3" wide. Ought to shorten them.
The ones (3) that are really my daily users are little fellas, 6" x 3". Think they were maybe $8.00 each. I forget.
Ugly, blotched and sanded carbon steel. Cut a thousand dinners or more.
All are too thin for bone so the total included bevels are 20 degrees or less. Must be mindful of rust ( my daily iron supplement).

What I have done to all of them is to taper the nose.
Not sharp but better than square blunt for lifting chop off a board.

I wonder if a bladesmith could weld a strip of 1/4" x 1" x 8" good cutting steel to a spine of 2" x 8" x 1/4" iron for bone chopping mass?

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
The 'nose' on yours is good but I wouldn't make it any sharper than a nice table knife.
I can see picking up lots of food prep on that one.

My oldest cleaver will be turning 50 soon, along with one of my woks!
My two big cleavers are 8" edge x 3" wide. Ought to shorten them.
The ones (3) that are really my daily users are little fellas, 6" x 3". Think they were maybe $8.00 each. I forget.
Ugly, blotched and sanded carbon steel. Cut a thousand dinners or more.
All are too thin for bone so the total included bevels are 20 degrees or less. Must be mindful of rust ( my daily iron supplement).

What I have done to all of them is to taper the nose.
Not sharp but better than square blunt for lifting chop off a board.

I wonder if a bladesmith could weld a strip of 1/4" x 1" x 8" good cutting steel to a spine of 2" x 8" x 1/4" iron for bone chopping mass?
The "nose" is very sharp on mine I'm going to keep it that way so as too learn the use of it, I like that you have kitchen ware older than me, for some reason it makes me feel young! as for welding, be assured you can weld anything!, only last week had a weld job to do on an old Rover 2000 the two patch's were big and in prep I had to knock as much rust out as I could, I told the owner that by the time I would finish half his cars chassis, we would be sweeping up off the floor :D...It was like welding to paper, still it made its MOT!

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OK, I'll look into the welding, thanks. I want a bone cleaver built for me.
Have some worn out big old mill files that might be a nice curved edge contour.

Just remember to use your cleaver every day, if you can.
I made masks from very heavy paperboard card stock = good enough to toss them all in a kitchen drawer.
They're all glopped up with cuts and greasy stains. . . . . .

All my old stuff seems heavier metal than what I see in western kitchen stores in this day and time.
They remind me of your cleaver but not half so elegant.

Meant to ask:
When I use any of my cleavers, my ring finger is on the bolster, my pinkie on the handle.
First and second fingers on one side of the blade, thumb on the other side.
I had to round off the spine for an inch or more as it worried the side of my first finger. You, too, maybe?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE