Clear meths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

6F2

Sep 7, 2007
Anyone know where I can get meths minus the purple dye in the UK (no I haven't run out of white lightning cider) for my trangia-like from Lidl?/

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The colourless meths is usually 'Industrial Methylated Spirit' or IMS. (aka Industrial denatured alcohol)

You normally need a licence to buy it. Until recently these were issued for meths heaters and stoves, but it seems they were issued in error, and are no longer being granted.

If you do a search for IMS/industrial methylated spirits on the forum you'll find the whole saga.

I have used both IMS and purple mineralised meths. I do not find blackening of the pots to be a significant issue, and heat output seems about the same (though I've not done formal tests on this). IMS does not smell as much as the purple mineralised meths though.

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
in Belgium you can buy meths in most supermarkets or gear stores under the name methylalcohol. In boxes of 5 litres it will cost 1€ a litre and it is without the purple dye.
So it doesn't smell and it doesn't sooth the pots.

O

oilyrag

In Switzerland you can buy the un-dyed, non-sooting meths from both supermarkets (cleaning stuff section) or from the Chemist. In German it's called Brennsprit, the chemical formula being C2H6O. It's about £1 a litre.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
In Holland there's something called Brandspiritus which I tried in a coke can stove. It's ethelene rather than methylene and burns yellow.

It's sometimes called "wood alcohol" in both the states and translated to europe. Some helpful soul posted the chemical formula above, if you're in europe and visit a chemist you could always give them that and say, "Sorry, my (language here) is terrible!"

I wouldn't use clear myself, wouldn't want to forget what it was and drink a mouthful thinking it was water.

Why do you want clear anyway? It'll still blind you if you drink it.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Hunted high and low for meths in Sweden until a kind chap told us it is called T-rod.In my opinion this actually burns better than meths.Sadly had to leave it behind due to airflight restrictions.It is colourless and smells nothing like our meths?
Riven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE