Cleaning your knife in the field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
addyb said:
I've got a fantastic idea!

Why don't we all call up His Royal Highness Mr. Ray Mears and ask how he cleans his knife? :D

Adam

(I jest, I jest)

obviously he uses it once and throws it away. that's why the waiting list for woodlore knives is so long ;)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
anyway, back on topic,
i'm very scrupulous about food hygiene when out and about.
a dose of the runs is very nasty when you're in the outdoors.
getting out of your sleeping bag, mozzie net, hammock in a hurry in the dark is an accident waiting to happen.
better safe than sorry ;)

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
I think we shouldn't get too hung up on in the field hygiene. I'm not saying we should run around looking like Stig of the Dump, but a quick wipe with a cloth on eating utensils with a bit of hot water will be fine. Sterilising stuff doesn't let your body build up an immunity to nasties, so a bit of gunk now and then can't be too bad a thing. It will only make you stronger in the long run!!

My thoughts exactly.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
GearGuru said:
The soil has Staphylococcus aureus in it which can give you a right dose of the s :censored: s better to leave it.

Ooh, sounds like fun! Fortunately since I rarely use my working knife for my food, then it's never been a problem (so far!) Also, there's a difference between using a not-quite-sterilised knife to cut up some meat that's about to be cooked, and using said knife on some raw tomatoes or something. For that I'll use a clean knife, such as my SAK.

However, I do subscribe to the idea that a bit of mud here and there isn't the end of the world - my mum's got photos of me eating mud when I was about 3 years old, and I turn out fine urk meep wibble.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I guess a lot depends on what you are doing with the aforesaid knife. If you are skinning/dressing game or cutting other raw meat you really want to clean it well before you start using it as an eating utensil.

It is good practice to clean the blade before returning it to the sheath, so as not to contaminate the sheath. After cutting wood a simple wipe on the trouser leg suffices. After a messy job like game preparation, I clean the blade thoroughly in the stream, dry it on the trouser leg, and disinfect with the meths that every Trangia owner carries.

I think some meths contains bitrex or other bitter tasting stuff, but the industrial stuff seems ok.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
mark a. said:
Ooh, sounds like fun! Fortunately since I rarely use my working knife for my food, then it's never been a problem (so far!) Also, there's a difference between using a not-quite-sterilised knife to cut up some meat that's about to be cooked, and using said knife on some raw tomatoes or something. For that I'll use a clean knife, such as my SAK.

However, I do subscribe to the idea that a bit of mud here and there isn't the end of the world - my mum's got photos of me eating mud when I was about 3 years old, and I turn out fine urk meep wibble.

It's generally a good idea to keep your knife clean, not just because you may use it with food, but also because you may cut yourself.

I too am with the school that says wipe it on the trousers, but this is out of laziness. I like the mineral oil cloth idea, this seems sensible enough for me not to have come up with it, so it must be a good idea.

Ian

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
My solution is to carry two knives. I use my carbon fixed blade for pretty much everything, and carry a small stainless folder for all the 'wet' work like skinning/gutting. This reduces the risk of cross contamination and avoids getting water damage on your carbon blades. But other than that im a spit and trousers guy, do have some of that water free handwash tho, but just for my hands.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I think a quick wipe with a wet cloth would do it for me in most circumstances.

The good rule of progression from "clean" foods (like bread, cooked veg) to "semi-clean" (cooked meats) to "semi-filthy" (raw veg with earth on the skin) to "filthy" (raw meat) to "unclean" (offal) should be followed in the kitchen at home, as well as out in the field.

I suspect that many bacteria won't live and multiply in great numbers outside of the range of temperatures normal in the host body.

For really cleaning, even sterilizing, I'd go for carrying a small bottle of 90° alcohol. You can use this to sterilize a wound, clean a knife, or light a fire. Very useful stuff.

K.

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
For really cleaning, even sterilizing, I'd go for carrying a small bottle of 90° alcohol. You can use this to sterilize a wound, clean a knife, or light a fire. Very useful stuff.

Are we all getting a bit tame in our old age? Take a hip flask of finest gulping whisky and you can clean, ignite and be merry :lmao:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
synoptic said:
Are we all getting a bit tame in our old age? Take a hip flask of finest gulping whisky and you can clean, ignite and be merry :lmao:

Whisky is only 40% by volume. The alcohol I was referring to is 90% by volume (or as near as dammit).

Much better disinfectant and firestarter than whisky. Save the whisky for tippling; don't waste it on your blade!

K.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE