Cleaning your knife in the field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I was just wondering whats the best way to clean your knife when you are between jobs like cutting wood, skinning a rabbit, cutting up food, eating etc. Its not like I have a washing up bowl about.

I usually just wipe it with something. I have not been ill yet but you never know.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
If the ground's not too rocky (so I don't blunt anything too badly), I sometimes stick the knife into the earth - that tends to cleans off most of the gunk. Then it's just a case of brushing off any remaining crumbs of mud.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Wipe on grass or moss,then if preparing food,pass the blade through a flame a few times.
DON'T let the blade get hot though,you just want to bbq any germs on the blade,not ruin the temper. ;)

snock

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2006
Aylesbury.
www.airgunbbs.com
Carry some of those lemon hand-wipes you get from places that sell food.
Failing that just spit on it and wipe it on your trousers.

Works for me. :)

I wouldn't suggest stabbing the blade into the ground, as you only need to hit a stone and the edge has gone.

snock

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2006
Aylesbury.
www.airgunbbs.com
Graham_S said:
if i'm using it to prepare food, i give it a wipe with antibacterial hand cleanser, then wipe it off.

Agreed.
You can buy alcohol based gel in Superdrug. I use it after I have prepared rabbits etc.
It evaporates away leaving your hands/equipment pretty much sterile.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I try to use a progresion from foods that will remain uncooked to raw meat then the blade will only require cleaning once. To clean it iether boiling water with a little washing-up liquid, alow to stand for about 5 mins. or a flame.
Inbetween times I use Autosol to keep the blade polished this makes cleaning easier as the nasties dont have ruff surfaces to cling to.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
I use the Milton handwash stuff. It doesn't need water and apparently even kills MRSA. Comes in a small bottle and is ideal for keeping hands clean.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like to carry a small bottle of mineral oil with me. It does a nice job of removing stuff, plus providing protection to the knife from rust. And it's food safe. Sometimes I will just carry a rag in a plastic bag saturated with mineral oil. Failing that, I will wipe it down on a piece of split wood and dry it on some cloth. However if you are spending time in a lot of rain, you really need something like mineral oil to protect the knife from rust--if it is carbon. ;)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Spitting on the knife is actually a very good way to clean it.

Our mouths are full of bacteria that is quite nasty and much of it exists because its nastier than a lot of bacteria our bodies aren't used to.

I don't usually bother with cleaning fluids, if I have a fire going and a little water i'll boil some up and give my knife a rinse.

As with all things, take care, hot water can warp and lift scales as well as making epoxy unstable... running the blade over a flame can coat it in carbon (or devalue it by £1million if its an AW Woodie) and sticking it in the dirt could dink the edge.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think we shouldn't get too hung up on in the field hygiene. I'm not saying we should run around looking like Stig of the Dump, but a quick wipe with a cloth on eating utensils with a bit of hot water will be fine. Sterilising stuff doesn't let your body build up an immunity to nasties, so a bit of gunk now and then can't be too bad a thing. It will only make you stronger in the long run!!

I agree with not sticking your knife in the ground, unless it is a butter knife in which case it is already blunt!

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I totally agree. When you're out there there's really only a small number of things that a person can do to maintain hygeine. Obviously you can't just stop skinning your rabbit and go take a Hollywood shower. :) I never shave when I'm in the bush, I think a bit of beard tends to protect a face from becoming too weatherbeaten. The army would make you believe otherwise.

And as for cleaning a knife...I'd go with the washing up approach. Waving a blade under a naked flame involves a certain amount in inherent risk I think! Why risk ruining a temper?

Adam

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
If the ground's not too rocky (so I don't blunt anything too badly), I sometimes stick the knife into the earth - that tends to cleans off most of the gunk. Then it's just a case of brushing off any remaining crumbs of mud.

The soil has Staphylococcus aureus in it which can give you a right dose of the s :censored: s better to leave it.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Cleaning my knife in the field is something I've often wondered about too.

Usually I can find some grass or leaves or something similar to wipe it on until I can get to some water and clean it properly.

The question I have is that the knife often gets wet and dirty and it can be a pain to keep cleaning and drying it because I'm actually still using it off and on. So I've got this dirty knife in my hand and I want to briefly put it away. If I put it in my leather sheath then my sheath is going to get disgusting and that is really difficult to clean. I often leave it on the ground but I don't like doing that because it might get lost or hurt somebody (like myself) or something (like my dog).

So maybe I should get a plastic/kydex sheath that I can wash. Anybody got any other ideas?

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I'm with the school that says "Wipe it on yer trousers, and spit on it first if it's really mucky". I keep my knives pretty well cleaned between trips so they tend to be polished steel which wipes clean easily. There is an old saying that goes "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die". A peck is not how much a bird might pick up in its beak as you might imagine, but is actually a measure of about 2 gallons.

There is however one trick more cunning than a cunning fox with lessons in cunning when it comes to needing a clean blade after doing a mucky job with your knife. If you promise to keep it under your hats I'll let you all in on a secret....

I carry more than one knife... :lmao: ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE