Cleaning Water Bladders

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I have read the a thread which asked which type of water container to use, well quite a few said they used water bladders.

I thought this thread may help with the novel ideas on how we all clean them, I'll start the ball rolling with The Tube......... If you take it off the bladder and twirl it around your head the centrifugal force will cause most of the water to one and help dry it out.
You can also put it in the freezer to stop the mould growing, but then again it does add some flavour!!!!!!!!!!

Over to you................

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I use denture tablets to clean all my bladders bottles and flasks haven’t tried to clean the tube but I bet Milton fuild would work Graham S suggested it for bottles so why not drinking tubes?

James

mrstorey

Forager
Soak in water with a sterilising tablet (the sort they use for babies bottles). Then sling it straight in the freezer (there's a Platypus shaped gap next to the vodka bottle in our freezer)

If you need to clean the tube, get a length of string longer than the tube, tie a bit of cloth around it so you've got a knot which is tight in the tube, then whirl it around your head to clean out the gunk. If it gets stuck, haul on the string to free the knot, then start again. Repeat until free of gunk. Then make a mental note not to let it get into that state again:)

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Sadly enough, I let my Camelback get like that :(

I was in Inverness, and passing an outdoor shop, and while browsing I saw a Camelback cleaning kit. "I'll have that" I said.

I had second thought swhen I paid for it - but hey, it works.
Two brushes, including one for *inside* the tube... and a drying rack holder opener thing.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I soak mine in water and bicarb of soda, then rinse. I then make sure they're dry completely before putting away with all my other stuff.

I've never had trouble with it getting mouldy or anything, I may have just been lucky. Sticking it in the freezer sounds like a good idea though, I may do that next time just to be on the safe side...

Dan

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Damascus,

I use Milton fluid to clean my cammleback, if its good enough for babies its good enough for me.

Brian

After sterilizing, dry out the bladder by putting a practice golf ball (the one with all the holes in it) if the mouth of the bladder is wide enough. this stops the sides touching, which helps it dry better. Dry the tube by tying some string to a ball of cotton wool just small enough to pass through the tube. thread the string through the tube, and pull the cotton wool ball through.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
As I said on another thread, rinse with a salt or bleach / water mix before you put them away, and they'll be just fine after a fresh water rinse next time you go out.

Bodunn

Sep 20, 2005
Leicester
Just resurrect this link; well, and to update with some new info. Looks like camelbak have been reading this thread and have launched some of their own cleaning tablets. They've also given their new bladders an antimicrobial coating to stop that gunky black stuff that lives in them.
Personally, I use cheap baby sterilising solution which I drain, syphon style, through the drinking tube after about half an hour. Then about a teaspoon and a bit of baking powder (to take the taste away) drained the same way and then stuff the drinking tube back in the bladder to stop the sides of the bladder sticking together (which stops it drying out and makes it go mouldy). Sounds like a hassle but it's routine now, it only takes a few minutes and stops the water tasting of anything other than water. Haven't tried it with squash or anything though.
Matt

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I just drain it out and chuck it in the freezer, but if it needs a clean milton or denture tabs do wonders. I would avoid at all costs adding flavours to the water because I can never shift it and it makes your bladder go a funny colour

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
am i the only one that uses bladders from wine boxes ?cheap disposable and you get to empty them in the first place allways welcome :) doubles as a pillow also :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE