Cleaning sheepskin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandspec

Maker
Nov 1, 2005
Bozeat, Northants
I have recently purchased a couple of really nice sheep-skins but the trouble is they smell! :( I think they may have been stored whilst damp, but they certainly smell that way.

The fleece is nice and soft and has a long staple but is a bit dusty. Do any of you know a good way to clean and refresh the fleeces without having to resort to dragging them kicking and screaming down to the dry cleaners? :eek:

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
A friend of mine puts hers in the washing machine when grubby and it stays nice and soft. (no idea if powder is added!)

I think the result depends on what it was tanned with - worse case scenario the skin side would turn to 'cardboard'.

Hmmm. not much help I fear...

j

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
I've tried the washing machine method, one came out nice and soft and the other came out stiff.

I usually wash them in the bath with baby shampoo and allow to dry naturally outdoors, obviously pick a warm dry day.
If you comb them out whilst still slightly damp the hair is beautifully soft and luxuriant to lie on :D

Greywolf

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE