Cleaning knife for/after food prep

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Wet wipes If I have them,
If not a bit of hand sanitiser and wipe with a damp cloth to get the 'orrible taste off the blade.
Failing that you could stick it in hot water to sanitise it, anything over 82oC will kill off any bacteria.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Clean knives - what - that would ruin the patina!
At most a wipe with my trouserleg....
A man has to eat a peck of dirt before he dies - and cooking destroys any bacteria (if done right!)

Mind you - if I happen to cut myself by accident I am liable to die an interesting death from all the crud and bacteria growing in my knife sheath :D

gan_pi

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
i thought it was 72 for most bacteria, and 120 for those that go dormant. either way, wiping the knife shifts the physical dirt and have a good dram to wash the food down and you'll be fine.

most cleaners talk about killing 97% or something, problem is that just leaves the really strong 3% with alot more space to multiply. one idea in surgery (allegedly - can't find a link now) is for docs to scrub and then apply live yoghurt to their skin - the live bacteria are harmless to humans and simply take up the space that the harmful bacteria would otherwise multiply into. its an interesting idea...

or just have another dram ;)

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Clean?? Knife??

Why don't you put on a dress and swish around some?

Only kidding! I thought the true bushcraft way was a wipe or two on the old trousers and nothing more but I guess times are a changing.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Either wipe it on the grass or the dog's fur if he's within reach :D......I tend to clean a knife more thoroughly after use & unlike John I never put a dirty knife back in a sheath :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
i thought it was 72 for most bacteria, and 120 for those that go dormant. either way, wiping the knife shifts the physical dirt and have a good dram to wash the food down and you'll be fine.

Maybe so its just current food HACCP regs that it 82oC core temp for food to be deemed as 'cooked', 1-8oC bacteria are dormant 8-63oC is the 'Danger Zone' for bacterial growth, 82oC renders harmless.
At least thats what you'll get told if you do a food hygiene course, personally im with Mr. Fenna, a bit of muck does you good :D

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Just ordered some Ballistol after coming across it today browsing/skiving... Food safe, anti rusting and antiseptic.

(correct linky below)

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Half the time I don't even see the knife again till the next day when I wash up the other half its trousers, jacket or handkerchief
I like the dog idea
I do spend a lot of time at home on knife love though lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE