Cleaning a chopping board in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
How can I sterilise a chopping board in the woods? Would pouring boiling water on it and giving it a good scrub with a cloth be good enough to remove bacteria such as that left by raw chicken etc?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
How would you do it at home?

I take those antibacterial wipes. Use; then throw on the fire and then boiling water on the board. :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
How can I sterilise a chopping board in the woods? Would pouring boiling water on it and giving it a good scrub with a cloth be good enough to remove bacteria such as that left by raw chicken etc?

That is as good as you can do but its probably good practice to keep one board or one side of the board for raw meat and the other side for veg etc.

Interesting research on wood boards and bacteria here http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
one side of the board for raw meat and the other side for veg etc.

I would roughly agree. I would use one side for cooked meat and veg, the other side for raw meat. I usually boil some water, put fairy liquid on it ( i take in a small hotel style shampoo bottle -good for cleaning out mess tins too) an dgive it a good ol' scrub.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If there are any nice rounds about, split off a shingle, use then burn :) then repeat, saves on washing up.

andy r

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2010
Torquay
Pre prep the meat before you go, then it goes straight from the packaging into the pan. Not very "bushcrafty" I know, but more convenient than a dose of the Gary's in the back of beyond....... Trust me...... Got the T shirt !

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Robins link suggested microwaving wooden boards to disinfect them. I was thinking that propping the board up next to the fire (if your camp doesn't have a microwave) after washing it, would easily raise the temperature of the surface above 100 °C , killing anything nasty lurking there.

Z

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suspect they are to the left of the dettol spray, chopping board and hand cleanser myself ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Why don't you just chop meat up on leaves or grass etc? Can't say I've ever needed to take a chopping board into the field, and the amount of game I've dressed outdoors is immense.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
If there are any nice rounds about, split off a shingle, use then burn :) then repeat, saves on washing up.

What he said. I never take a chopping board with me - I can always quickly make a field-expedient one whilst I'm out if I need to.

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE