Classic Range - Kephart COMPLETE

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi folks :)

Following on from a recent thread here
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106101&page=3

I've started on a "classic" range of knives. Initially i'll be doing classic woodsmans and trade knives.

I decided on the Kephart knife first of all. As many will know Horace Kephart was a well known hunter and outdoorsman.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Kephart

My design came from an old advertisement, seen here. i went with the 5" blade version
Kephart knife.jpg

So today, i cracked on. Thought i would show the progress pics to you and see what you think. I took pics as the grind developed at various heights as i think they all look nice.

Which do you guys prefer?

This is the grind part way through. I like the look. The black lines on the blade show where the plunge line will come to and the back one shows how the handle will go around my stamp.

This is basically where the grinding stopped. I considered leaving the blade so that the grind line was visible as you can see here, though obviously better finished.
P1030208_zps81db2def.jpg

P1030209_zps47c33955.jpg

But i had intended to hand sand it all and get a nice even finish, similar to the ad of the kephart knife i posted above.
So this is how it was prior to heat treatment, which in now done.
P1030210_zpse0a37a87.jpg

P1030211_zps72036338.jpg

Now, i'm not quite sure in what style to do the sheath. Do i stick to the original in the ad above as much as possible, or do i make a normal sheath for it??????

It has a nice piece of walnut ready for the handle.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looking good Mark, id go with the original style sheath, it all ties in nicely that way.

I'll have ten if you are doing them for the same price as the original advert :rolleyes::):lmao:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
We have the same tastes then Red :)

I've got some plain walnut for them. Got loads. I used to get offcuts from a gunstock maker in return for a knife. Got loads of high quality and loads of plainer but still good quality. Hold on, i'll take a pic of whats going on this.

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I added liners to them. I didn't know weather to or not, probably shouldn't have but i think they enhance the look.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks nice mate. I think it looks a little too long though, and bulbous towards to end for a kephart.

as a hunter/woodsmans knife though it's superb! :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks spot on to me!
I m glad to see you agree with going trad with the sheath - I think that the scales look fine ... but I don't think liners really "go" if you are being trad ... but then I am not into liners anyway:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE