CLA Game Fair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Did any of you go to the CLA Game Fair at Blenheim Palace this weekend? It may not be a bushcraft event as such, but there was plenty there of interest for the bushcrafter.

I was pleased to meet Alan Wood, who had some knives to die for and know what I want for Christmas now.

ranger

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Stuart... :nono: you didn't say that Cindy was there!! :wink: If Cindy hadn't had such sharp eye we probably would have missed each other :lol:

The show has changed over the years, the "craft" side has grown and they now have a lot of speciallity food stalls in the "Food fair". Overall it is not as focused on hunting and fishing as it used to be. The Game part of the show has been steadily shrinking.

That being said, it is still a better day out than some shows.

I saw Geoff Hague, totally sold out but for a couple folders, Allan Wood, who probably came with more knives than Geoff since he still had a good many despite saying he had sold a lot. I also saw some Swedish knife dealers who had some pretty impressive laminaged blades with mosaic damascus inlays.

There were a pretty good number of outdoor clothing stands, mostly wool garments for shooting, but there were some that would be suitable for more general outdoor use.

If you are interested in shooting there were some good gun stands there and plenty of beautifully stocked shotguns to admire...I don't shoot, but am still impressed by fine fit, fancy wood and detailed engraving.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I went as well.
I thought it was good. As long as you understand where it's coming from.
It's a lifestlye fair, not a shooting or even an outdoor fair.

The CLA stands for 'Country Landowners Association', that's why there were things like helicopters for sale !
A couple of my friends said it didn't have enough shooting stuff, that's what they're into. But it's not like the Midland Game Fair which is much more geared only to shooting.

I liked it, but there was far too much to see on one day.

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE