Cider making with no kit....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
apple juice, sugar if you want it stronger and half a teaspoon of yeast just to make sure...

brew as normal with an air lock.....;)

job done..:):):):):):):):)

a1993h

Oct 27, 2010
Ireland
My dad said he used to throw apples, sugar and water in a bucket, cover it with a damp tea towel and leave it for 2 weeks or
so. He got a fairly potent brew out of it from what he was saying haha.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Apples ?

Sorry i'll get my coat !

Craig.............

But not just any apples. I've made cider using apples form an old tree in the garden but the cider was very, very dry. Hardly surprising as so was the juice. So, to save wasting time try to ensure the juice is drinkable, if the juice is far too sharp and dry so will the cider. Adding sugar will just mean a higher alcohol content, not a sweeter brew.

Personally I would use a cider yeast, or ale or wine - I think I get better results than the very fast acting yeasts. I would also wait for the fermentation to stop in the djs and then bottle and prime with a very small amount of sugar, in suitable bottles, to get a lightly sparkling brew. Take care with this, don't over-prime or you'll end up with exploding bottles.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I have seen recipies around the net, that use cartons/bottles of apple juice. Bought off the shelf in a supermarket, (or local corner shop if you still have one :)) basically then adding a bit of sugar and some yeast and hey presto job done!

Quite how economical it would be doing it that way, i wouldn't like to say but it would save the effort of juicing apples. But then if you have access to a free supply of apples I think the effort would be more than wothwhile.

Should say that I have never made cider, so have no experience of either method.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I've done it before using the following:

Scritter (food processor) and borrowed press;

Demi johns and airlocks to ferment the pure untreated apple juice;

bottles and crown capper to bottle refine the cider (add tsp of sugar to each bottle).

This is quite palatable. A mate does his in a single plastic jerrycan with a single airlock, doesn't bottle refine, just serves straight from the jerrycan - more a rough old scrumpy.

To my mind, the most importanct bit iof kit is the scritter and press. good luck.

Alex

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have seen recipies around the net, that use cartons/bottles of apple juice. Bought off the shelf in a supermarket, (or local corner shop if you still have one :)) basically then adding a bit of sugar and some yeast and hey presto job done!

Quite how economical it would be doing it that way, i wouldn't like to say but it would save the effort of juicing apples. But then if you have access to a free supply of apples I think the effort would be more than wothwhile.

Should say that I have never made cider, so have no experience of either method.

Not worth it, you can buy three litres of 9 proof 'Wife Beater' cider from the shop down the road for £1.99.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But wheres the fun in that?

Could I use a big bucket rather than demijohns?

and how to sterilise?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
it doesn't matter what recipe/procces you follow tengu, you'll never replicate the bright orange stuff that i served you at stainsby, now that's proper cider!

stuart

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
i make cider from concentrated value apple juice. Works out at less than 30p pint very strong, still and dry. i use Youngs cleaner and steriliser to clean all the equipment.Take one 25ltr fermentation bin pour in 20 ltrs apple juice dissolve 2kg sugar in 4 ltr boiling water and mix in, add one teaspoon of wine yeast fit airlock and put in a warm place untill it stops bubbling, normally about four weeks. transfer to cool place for a few days and then syphon into a barrel, leave for a couple of weeks and then enjoy. I have been making this stuff for some years now i dont know how strong it is but lets just say its good stuff.

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
ps you can also brew out lots of other juices. robinsons apple and blackcurrant brewed the same way using 5 bottles to the bucket makes a strong refreshing summer drink. Strawberry ribbena makes lovely wine, you can also make wine using the same apple juice you make your cider with and very nice it is too.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks.

Would my kitchen be warm enough?

Shaggystu, that orange stuff was not as nice as the stuff I had in the Journeys End, Ringmore...Sadly I didnt take the name.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....Shaggystu, that orange stuff was not as nice as the stuff I had in the Journeys End, Ringmore...Sadly I didnt take the name.

i never said it was nice, i just think that the glow-in-the-dark properties of that particular brew make it kinda unique!
8 gallons of that stuff between 5 of us on the last night, i'm still hung over

stuart

Last edited:

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
ps you can also brew out lots of other juices. robinsons apple and blackcurrant brewed the same way using 5 bottles to the bucket makes a strong refreshing summer drink. Strawberry ribbena makes lovely wine, you can also make wine using the same apple juice you make your cider with and very nice it is too.

now that sounds like an accident waitng to happen! got anymore recipes? :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE