Christmas on Loch Lomond

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Friday saw Stuart69, Gailainne and I heading out of Aldochlay. While it was free of ice we could see large patches in the next bay. First off we headed south down the channel to see if there was a way through.

LL_DEC_01.jpg

Only made it to the end of the first island. From there the loch was frozen as far as you could see.

LL_DEC_02.jpg

LL_DEC_03.jpg

We doubled back and headed for the deep water, passing this chap along the way.

LL_DEC_04.jpg

LL_DEC_05.jpg

Watching Stephen ram his way to shore it was hard to believe it's only a year since he cared about his shiny new hull. :)

LL_DEC_06.jpg

We had a white christmas with a fresh coat laid down in the early hours.
The bay itself was relatively free of ice as far as the headland.

LL_DEC_07.jpg

LL_DEC_08.jpg

Then frozen again round to the narrows.

LL_DEC_09.jpg

LL_DEC_10.jpg

Ahhh!

LL_DEC_11.jpg

Home sweet home.

LL_DEC_12.jpg

LL_DEC_13.jpg

Coming back on monday I didn't have the camera to hand which was a shame as our faces must have been a picture when we came round and seen that the main channel back to Aldochlay had frozen over right out to the main loch. On closer inspection though it turned out to be floating slush. Pretty stuff all built up in rippled clumps below the surface and no bother to cut through.

So a lovely long weekend.
...full of odd ice noises, Sheets cracking as they warmed and cooled, the soft shooshing of paddling though the slush, the gentle tinkling of little bits hitting together as our wakes jiggled them about....

:)
Josh

Last edited:

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
amazing pics , it looked a winter wonderland, I wish i would have been there, the photos were brilliant especially the one of the big stag .. cheers for that ...

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I didn't take many this time but here's a few .....

P1010899.jpg

P1010895.jpg

P1010893.jpg

P1010903.jpg

P1010902.jpg

Brilliant trip again guys, perfect way to spend Christmas :)

Fantastic - beautiful photoes. I thought of going for a paddle up there over christmas but decided against it as I thought it would be completely frozen, wish I had gone now. Pardon my ignorance but is that a lavvu or is it a parachute? Is it hanging from the pine? Whatever it is it looks brilliant - I'm very jealous. Glad to see people taking the weather in their stride rather than it crippling them.

All the best,
Martin.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
We had a doorway at the back you can't see in the pic, basically propped a bit of the chute on a long stick then tied it off to the tree. Nice and cosy :D

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I couldn't find any pics of the doorway but here's one of the inside taken from the door, loads of room for the three of us and my puppy

P1010906.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE