christmas money

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2009
N IRELAND
hello everyone after months of reading your info and chat i now want to ask a quastion.i got £200 for christmas and want to spend it on kit what will i buy?im ex military so have a fair bit of kit.just wanted to know what some of you would buy. ps not an air rifle etc "anyone who wants to own a gun should be reason ;)enough not to allow them a gun".

Oct 6, 2009
N IRELAND
thanks for answering rich.im in 2 minds i go walking weekly with mates .which i love but its all just walking kit they talk about.their all ex army if i mentioned bushcraft they would look at me as if i had 2 heads i would like to get some nice usable kit.like you said a ventile smock which i knew knothing about till now i probably wore one but diddnt know it.i would just like to know what would yuo guys buy i.e what jacket,boots,fleece,bergen,whatever.ps sorry about the grammer but beer and lack computer know how are a bad comb.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Welcome mate. Sorry for asking the same sort of question as above, but how bout letting us know what you already have? Stoves, clothes, rucksacks etc. 200quid will get you a lot of kit if you shop smart.

Boots- Leather brashers are good.
Rucksack- Snugpak bergan is what I have and I like it.
Berghaus fleeces are going cheap at the moment in milletts.
Have you got a good knife, axe,saw etc?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2009
N IRELAND
i have plenty of modern walking kit gortex etc,but would like to get kit thats a little bit more bushcrafty kit that will take abuse wont cost a fortune i like the german army surplus stuff but dont know much about it.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
as well as the usmc modular sleep system and trueways course i got for xmas/birthday (same day!) i had a total of £90 in cash and have bought the following which i need as replacement stuff or "instead of" base camp stuff for the course and beyond

2005 model army goretex jacket (my current regatta jacket wont keep me dry for 5 days of woodland living in January!), waterproof notepad, 2x15m 550 para-cord, set of billy cans (my camp pans too big for the course purposes) spork (last of big spenders!) and a 40l and 13l dry sack

now hunting for some thermal full length base-layer as back up to my merino and fleece sets (in case of real wetness) and a travel towel unless i just nick one of the house ones :p

dont know if any of that gives ideas?

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I'd also be getting a hammock if I didn't have one already!
The Kelly kettle and some cooking pots etc would also be nice, depending on what style you prefer. I like my alcohol burning Trangia for any occasion but when you have the option, a nice wood fire sure would be tempting and much more bushcrafty...
Learning how to use a fire steel is essential it appears, so don't forget to put that on your list. Guaranteed to have hours of fun cursing to get it going properly, especially if you forgot to use a decent edge to strike it ;)
Do you have a nice knife to make your first wooden spoon or play around with some sticks to construct whatever you fancy? As R3XXY said, the Mora Clipper should be a good choice.

There's a lot of bushcrafty gear you can buy for £200 if weight and pack size are no problem :)

Oct 6, 2009
N IRELAND
just an update i bought a nice pair of meindl burma gortex boots.bought from cotswolds in belfast excellent boots and brillant service from the guys up there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE