Christmas idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
i thought id share with you a find i have made on amazon.

this in my eyes is THE ULTIMATE bushcrafty/ outdoorsy book for anyone.

i have the origional and have had it since i was old enough to read it.
its a crackin book and for the price you cant go wrong.

includes things likr first aid, trapping, survival in all climates, emergency survival, shelters, improv clothing, plant and animal I.D. what to have in your survival kit, map reading and navigation.....basicly everything you need to know.

A GREAT PRESENT AT A GREAT PRICE FOR CRAFTERS AND OUTDOOR TYPES ALIKE OF ALL AGES

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAS-Surviva...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290956945&sr=8-1-fkmr0

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"Updated" - does that mean the inacurate drawings of knots, the mis labeling of the knife grinds etc have been corrected?
I have the original, plus a couple of the Collins Gem versions - great books - and that is a supurb price!

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I've got it (the old version, anyway), and found it a bit rough round the edges. Not that I would argue with its accuracy - mainly because I'm not that hardcore, but the images did seem somewhat sketchy, as did some of the info. There'd be a few lines on how to gut a fish, how to set a fire etc. It seemed more an overview rather than a guide to actual survival. At any rate, I wouldn't like to have it as the only thing between me and the wilderness.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
How about Collins Gems "Food for free"? is it worth looking? I noticed it for 2.50 on the same site...

Now that I'd be happier with me. It has one or two pages for each item, either colour photographs or detailed colour illustrations, a list of uses, how, where and when to harvest, and even some useful recipes. Good pocket size, also. And you know, it's even stitched, so it won't fall apart that easily.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Now that I'd be happier with me. It has one or two pages for each item, either colour photographs or detailed colour illustrations, a list of uses, how, where and when to harvest, and even some useful recipes. Good pocket size, also. And you know, it's even stitched, so it won't fall apart that easily.

Not as good as the original "FFF" - I have the original and the Collins - I prefer the original!

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
i believe the new book is basicly a modified version of the older one.

either way, they are very usefull books no matter what, i learned alot from the origional book, about trapping etc
granted could be better with diagrams and expanation but to be fair as we all know, there is no better guide than someone showing you first hand.

this, to me personally, was the next best thing, i used to read it and find things i wanted to try and try them, if not i used to get my grandad to show me stuff too, like snares and shelters.

i just saw it and thought it would be a great stocking filler for crafters and potential crafters alike, so thought id share with you all

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
i believe the new book is basicly a modified version of the older one.

either way, they are very usefull books no matter what, i learned alot from the origional book, about trapping etc
granted could be better with diagrams and expanation but to be fair as we all know, there is no better guide than someone showing you first hand.

this, to me personally, was the next best thing, i used to read it and find things i wanted to try and try them, if not i used to get my grandad to show me stuff too, like snares and shelters.

i just saw it and thought it would be a great stocking filler for crafters and potential crafters alike, so thought id share with you all

You know, you're right. As a stocking filler, it's probably great, with some useful information. I suppose I was just warning about it being a definitive survival guide, which I don;t think it is. But helpful. I've been looking for a definitive guide for a long time, but find there's no such thing. Maybe the definitive guide is just years of experience (which, I might add, I certainly don;t have - no voice of authority here), and I suppose anything that adds to that is always a help.

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
You know, you're right. As a stocking filler, it's probably great, with some useful information. I suppose I was just warning about it being a definitive survival guide, which I don;t think it is. But helpful. I've been looking for a definitive guide for a long time, but find there's no such thing. Maybe the definitive guide is just years of experience (which, I might add, I certainly don;t have - no voice of authority here), and I suppose anything that adds to that is always a help.

personally i think that this book is a stepping stone into the world of bushcraft, when i found this book in my dads bookshelf and started reading it, it got me into wanting to get out and try these different ideas and adapt them to my personal preference etc etc.

i believe a lad of about 12-13 got this book it would intrigue them into getting out, especially with all the ray mears and stuff on tv at the moment.

i think it is up to us to get kids away from the digital/electronic culture and get out and about,
passing on knowledge first hand however is the best and most informative way of teaching these skills

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
Thank you i have just ordered it .

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
does any body rate Chris Ryans sas survival guide? I have it and would actually recommend it. It has some really handy stuff in it. I actually own a signed copy by the man himself :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE