chris caine companion or Gransfors Small Forest Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bdshim

Forager
Sep 25, 2011
suffolk
hi all not been on here for ages but after ive got a few jobs out the way in the next 2-3 months im determined to get back into bush craft. im in Ipswich and have seen there is a suffolk meet that happens so will have to go along sometime, no point working all the time hey, anyway ive got a condor bushlore but fancy something bit bigger for bigger tasks when i get there. i like the look of the new chris caine companion but wondered what peoples thought are on this ive read mixed review on the web, i really like the small forest axe looks so compact and easy to use but i cant decide, new tool would be used for splitting wood and general work that the bushlore is to small for.
cheers
ben

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
from what I've heard the companion is over priced and poorly finished and I would say it looks rediculous and you'd be better off with a small axe, not a big knife.

this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Husqvarna-Hatchet/dp/B001U6QSZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344356122&sr=8-1 with a little polish and tidy up will go perfectly with your condor knife mate! no need to spend loads to get good hard working kit!

if you did want a big knife though, you could always get a cheap tramontina machete http://www.heinnie.com/Tramontina-Machetes/p-0-0-4626/ and cut the blade down to a more suitable size and use that, super cheap and tough as old boots! or a cold steel bushman http://www.heinnie.com/Cold-Steel-Bushman/p-0-0-4586/, big cheap and tough enough to survive the apococlypse!

but a hand axe will out chop and split any big knife, so abre that in mind! ;)

bdshim

Forager
Sep 25, 2011
suffolk
yes its a shame as the companion could have been a real nice tool to use, thanks for the link to the axe:) looks well made for the price
cheers

bdshim

Forager
Sep 25, 2011
suffolk
depends if you if you want and Axe or a camp knife they are different and fit different jobs

what would a camp knife do that an axe would not? sorry im still learning lol

edit just seen the knives you make your large camp knife looks nice not to ott.....

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
An axe can cut into wood better, split wood for fire better, pound in stakes and posts better and rough out wood work better.. and if you already have a knife don't waste your time getting a bigger one!

So I guess the people who carry/use camp knives do it because they don't have a smaller knife or an axe? (and want to be rambo..)

*just hada thought, maybe it's because they are lighter than an axe? (so is a folding saw ;) ) lightweight tomohawks are available for little money, cold steel trailhawk for example is a net little chopper, not great for splitting but good once cleaned up and modified!

here's my trail hawk next to my GB sfa..

gbth1.jpg

Last edited:

bdshim

Forager
Sep 25, 2011
suffolk
ok thanks, the tomahawk looks like a neat tool, but would you say the smx is worth the extra money? i would rather save and buy once...

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
the GB small forest axe is a lovely tool, but it costs like £70.. not everyone can justify buying one. But if like me you will use it alot (I use mine at work sometimes) and want to keep it for years then it's worth it.

The reason I linked the husqvarna hatchet is because it's also a great tool that'll last for years, it's not as versatile as the GB as it's shorter and better suited to splitting but still the only one you'll need if that's what you'll use it for.

Knwoing what jobs you'll be facing is the ebst way to decide what axe is best for you, I chose the GB sfa because of the outstanding reviews and 'jack of all trades' versatility it has.

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
If you want the complete set then the condor bush lore will sharpen nicely and makes a great 'go to' - 'do everything' blade. Get a bahco Laplander clone type saw, a crook knife, small folding pen knife, and a small axe / hatchet and that's it. You'll get the lot for less than £100 and never need anything else until you're bitten by the fashion midge.
;-)

what would a camp knife do that an axe would not? sorry im still learning lol

well its better at clearing back brush and undergrowth and easier to sned back bushy branches

Theres a reason people in the jungle carry a parang (tho bigger than a camp knife ) and no axes at all

but i look at it as part of a set of tools

If you carry a std 4" Bushcraft knife then no i dont think its worth pairing up to a 8" Camp knife

If you carry a small sharp necker then a 8" camp knife makes more sence

this where Ive come from I carried a large locking SAK and a Large Kukri as my cutting tools of choice for a couple of Decades before I discovered I was bushcrafting and doing it wrong ;) where you need a 4" main knife a small axe and a laplander folding saw as a Set

I guess in my own designs Ive replaced the SAK with my small DSP necker and the Kukri with the XL camp nessy
i rarely use my DSP large as im not used to thinking of it

I DO carry a folding saw but its a lot bigger than a Laplander and i do carry on ocassion an axe but its a GB carving axe as a luxury if i think i will get time to carve

I dont Really chop and split wood maybe a couple of small bits to get a fire going as its usually already in a range of sizes naturally I jsut saw to as long as i can carry up to 10" dia snap the small stuff nad burn thro the large stuff then end feed.

For most people getting out a couple of nights a few times a year it really makes no difference if one tool is a little more efficent than another

ATB
Duncan

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think it's important to understand the jungle people use a parang because getting through dense and heavily vegetated jungle routes is incredibley hard without one.

I've used machetes and all sorts for years and while it is pretty neat being able to hack away at bushes and what not to increase the size of the camping area it isn't a must have, and most of it could be done with a mora or bare hands in not much more time.

Unless you have sawn wood to split, trees to chop down and shelters to build you probably wont need an axe either.. I do little/none of those things when camping, so I rarely take an axe out of necessity. I've used my cold steel bushman as brush clearer, long stick in the handle and it did a great job, far better than a normal knife its size and better than all of the heavy machetes I've used. So if that's the only real job a camp knife has then go for the bushman!

and if the minimalist approach is something you like the idea of then go for a camp knife/parang and give it a try, if it works you've saved yourself carrying an axe, saw and other knives!

I think it's important to understand the jungle people use a parang because getting through dense and heavily vegetated jungle routes is incredibley hard without one.

I've used machetes and all sorts for years and while it is pretty neat being able to hack away at bushes and what not to increase the size of the camping area it isn't a must have, and most of it could be done with a mora or bare hands in not much more time.

Unless you have sawn wood to split, trees to chop down and shelters to build you probably wont need an axe either.. I do little/none of those things when camping, so I rarely take an axe out of necessity. I've used my cold steel bushman as brush clearer, long stick in the handle and it did a great job, far better than a normal knife its size and better than all of the heavy machetes I've used. So if that's the only real job a camp knife has then go for the bushman!

and if the minimalist approach is something you like the idea of then go for a camp knife/parang and give it a try, if it works you've saved yourself carrying an axe, saw and other knives!

Was just answering the question of what a large knife is better at than an axe.

If you dont need to clear brush and have logs to chop then an axe is a better choice

if you dont chop wood carry a small knife a larger camp knife may be a better choice

if you like one over the other then use that it will make little difference over a short time tho I wouldnt like to clear back heavy bramble and nettles with a Mora

a parang is much bigger than a camp knife IMO and nearly as heavy as a SFA size axe

a machette to me again is a differnt tool bigger in length than a parang but thinner and maybe lighter

as for the axe my fav is the GB carving axe obviously great for carving but also a good all rounder when ive tried it as i like to try all cutting tools in all jobs even ones they are clearly not meant for
it has a short handle like a hand axe but a heavy head in the mid range so it hits harder. it has a sharper thinner grind for carving so bites deep and cuts well but the head thickens so also splits you do have to be a little careful as the edge is obviously more prone to damage
you can choke up for carving and the bit shape gives great dexterity and control it also has a long cutting edge and its curve with the finer edge makes it good when choked up as an ULU style food and game prep knife very good for prepping stir frys

But with the SFA i would put it in a larger class of tool than the CC companion more in line with its big brother
heres a couple of pics form when i had the pass around CCtool

you can see my little Camp nessy is well out gunned in size and weight and thats my Kukri I used to carry

Dsc_5108.jpg

and against the GB axe

Dsc_5116.jpg

similar profile
Dsc_5117.jpg

Funny enough and probably Coincidence the companion size CC didnt exist last year when Chris Caine saw me at the Wilderness gathering and was interested in the Kydex on my Camp Nessy I was wearing

OA length XL 351mm CC tool 349mm
Edge length XL Approx 200mm CC 197mm
thickness XL 3.5 or 5mm or 5.8mm CC 5mm

dnkxlreardraw603.jpg

My mate has the CC Companion and admits its fairly ruff in finish etc but works and cuts chops very well once sharpened (I think the grind geometry Material and HT on mine will give it the edge tho:D ) and is half the price of my XL but doesn't come with a nice Kydex cover but i can sort one out if you like ;)

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
i'd use an axe primarlily paired with my Ben orford knife but also have a Cold Steel San Mai III Kukri which is a good tool in situ of an axe/small knife combo. But for versitiliy the axe if weight concious.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
thanks for the pictures, they make understanding size/usability alot easier! I like your camp nessy too, looks really smart! does it chop much better than other knives the same size/weight?

I'm not apposed to camp knives or big knives or anything btw, I just think the OP wanted to buy one practical tool to take and use camping, and while a larger knife fills some practical roles (and looks cool) I don't think it can fill as many as an axe that costs 3 times less. That being said, a large light weight knife can very effectively be used to split wood via batoning and will weigh a great deal less than a axe or fat chopper knife like the CC companion.

and bdshim, if you are going to buy a camp knife, do yourself a favour and buy one FGYT's and not that cc companion! I've heard nothing but praise for the mans work and it certainly looks good! ;)

I've taken just these two before in the past and had no issues at all. I could split wood, chop wood (alot easier with a foot long handle though I might add!), remove annoying brambles/mess and and have a play carving anything I fancied. The sak was good for food prep as it's stainless and the bushman took a mighty beating! I kind of tried to find a reason to 'need' the bushman with me, but as with an axe I didn't find it massive necessity..but lots of fun and certainly a reasonable alternative to a full time chopper.

kseta4.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the pictures, they make understanding size/usability alot easier! I like your camp nessy too, looks really smart! does it chop much better than other knives the same size/weight?

and bdshim, if you are going to buy a camp knife, do yourself a favour and buy one FGYT's and not that cc companion! I've heard nothing but praise for the mans work and it certainly looks good! ;)

JD says it works ;) even in 3.5mm

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79425

But Like you I can go out and be happy with a SAK tho i prefer the Larger Locking one mainly as the saw is bigger and Dam useful

there are plenty of good camp size knives out there and a lot cheaper than mine which will do the same or similar job

best to buy what you like the look of and what you can afford then you will use it and enjoy it

If you enjoy it you will probably end up with at least one of every type any way eventually :lmao:

bdshim

Forager
Sep 25, 2011
suffolk
thanks for all the replys, i will have a good think, ive always liked the sf axe just such a nice compact usefull size, but we shall see, i will report back
cheers:)

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
For the price of the Chris Cain knife you can get the axe and a parang may be a cold steel bushman like Salmon has aswell.
Have you seen the big condor knives? If I wasn't a maker myself I would try out a few of them, the boomslang looks like one hell of a camp knife.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
good point, condor do alot of tough affordable big knives! and one chap on here turned a £10 camp cleaver from tacky and cheap to really nice with only elbow grease! http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94756 and can be had here:http://www.heinnie.com/Marbles-Bolo-Camp-Cleaver/p-0-0-4209/

I'd like to point out my bushman is currently on a 5 foot pole, and I use it to tackle the very high up ivy near my garden workspace! It also fucntions perfectly as a spear.. ;) bit of sk5 spring steel makes it flex and stay true! With a 1 foot pole it makes a great machete too! it's one of my favourite knives and one of the few I trust not to break when I go to town on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE