Choritzo..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Slice or dice it as preferd, put it in a pan, with enough red wine to cover, then sprinkle with brown sugar, leve to simmer until most of the wine is gone, mmmm...

Rob

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Lightly fried with some thick chunks of panchetta or smoked bacon in a little oil/butter - serve with boiled pots - pouring the delicious oil over the spuds MMMmmmmmmm :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Hungarian equivalent to Chorizo is Kolbász, they are very similar, in fact the Hungarian Mangaliza pig is very popular in Spain.

Here are some hanging in my family larder...

P4070060.JPG

Often these are eaten uncooked with bread and perhaps some paprika or onion and plum brandy. However my favorite cooked meal would be Rakott Krumpli, this is essentially a casserole dish containing potatoes, lots of eggs, kolbász, onions and sour cream.

You can watch someones grandmother prepare the dish here (in English)

[video=youtube;OmpNgpf9sB4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmpNgpf9sB4[/video]

Your heart will scream but it is delicious.

:)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sliced into a metal dish, a good dose of brandy and then light

One of my favourite treats in a nearby tapas bar

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Couple of choritzo's, 2 tins of of chopped tomato's, peppers, mushrooms etc..spice to suit, leave to simmer for a while, & serve with jacket spuds, rice or pasta.

Rob

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What is the proper way to store it? I assumed being a cured meat just dry and "airy" However when i find it in tesco it is always in the fridge??

Love it in stews/kebab or just sizzed and eated off the end of yer knife.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I never know if it's pronounced "choritzo", "choreezo" or "choreetho"

It depends on where the Spanish speaker is from. Pure Castillian would be the last option as the 'z' is pronounced more like the 'th' in English. In Latin America the second option would be nearer to correct. There the 'z' is more like an 's'.

Or so my Spanish other half tells me.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
What is the proper way to store it? I assumed being a cured meat just dry and "airy" However when i find it in tesco it is always in the fridge??

Love it in stews/kebab or just sizzed and eated off the end of yer knife.

The Spanish would usually hang it somewhere cool and dry. In Britain this may be a bit of an issue as there tends to be more humidity. Either way you need to watch out for oil drips. Paprika stains are beasts to shift.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It depends on where the Spanish speaker is from. Pure Castillian would be the last option as the 'z' is pronounced more like the 'th' in English. In Latin America the second option would be nearer to correct. There the 'z' is more like an 's'.

Or so my Spanish other half tells me.

I can vouch for her regarding Latin America.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Bought some in Spain the other day. Thought I'd have a chunk before bed. Didn't realise until the next day that it was uncooked... :) No ill effects, though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE