Chopping and splitting tests

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Here are some pics of the 3V knife I made earlier and waiting to test. In between the rain, I went used some wood kindly supplied by Diamond Dave.

The pics show a branch, don't know what wood but it was fairly dry 2.75 inches in diameter. I put a new edge on the knife and chopped the branch in half. The knife is a bit short for chopping. I also stabbed the point into the branch quite a lot and twisted it to see how the point will hold up.

I then used the bigger branch to batton the knife through the smaller bit to split.

Afterwards, I examined the edge which lost its original toothy bite but was still fairly sharp, sharp enough to cut without more honing. The branch was covered in a film of wet mud and fine grit which probably increased the blunting effect.

This was not a test of the ultimate strength of the knife, I didn't have concrete blocks to chop in half or 3 foot long pipes to bend the knife with!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Looking good!

I can vouch for the strength of the shing blades, Mine is 01 and so far has stood up to some serious hammer!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Looks like you had fun there, and it's good to see a proper knife being used the way it's meant to be. What does 3V mean? Is it steel type or your model number?

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
The steel 3V is different from S30V, its is made by the same company, Crucible in the US using powder metallagy processes and optimised for toughness and edge holding.

I have heat treted it for optimum toughness at the expense of ultimate hardness and edge holding

It is not stainless but will resists stains and rust better than O1 tool steel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE