Chopping a tree with a Mora

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Guys, I have just found this video on Youtube and needless to say I am quite impressed. This guy demonstrates how to chop limbs from a tree up to about 3" diameter using just your knife. The second of the 2 examples results in a clean-ish cut too...I reckon its a good skill to learn when youre out and only carrying your EDC...
[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/iawoodsman#p/u/4/B_ZZj-5A9u0[/video]

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Should be renamed to cutting off a branch with a mora hee hee

There really isnt much skill in that. Put mora next to branch and hit with a big stick.

Sorry for being negative, I was hoping to see a thick tree get chopped with a mora.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Hahahaha yeah that told you Pablo......

come on! must do better,...

i have a video of a guy killing a charging Rhino with one of those little pink plastic cocktail swords,...

rancid badger

I've had a "fistful"of using the wrong tool for the job, so not for me thanks!:rolleyes:
P2120011copyresizedthumboff.jpg

I've used the same method with a knife, as well as when coppicing hazel, with a billhook.

works well but, from now on, I'll be using a saw!:crutch:

Last edited:

rancid badger

Oh in the scheme of things, its "nowt nor summet" I broke the thumb, as well as lost most of the nail with 15 stitches in total.

But it's a very minor injury, compared to some. I'm off work with it for now but I reckon no more than a couple of weeks tops.

Sorry for the hijack, I just thought I'd try and chuck out a warning on inappropriate tool use:eek:

best wishes

Steve (aka: Mr fingers & thumbs)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Terry is a really nice guy and very knowledgable (US SERE Instructor) which i hasten to add he is very free with, i know for a fact that he went back and cleaned the cut up after he made the video and didnt leave the tree/branch in that condition.

Juyst sayin'

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
He mentions that its a linnen tree or basswood which i think is our lime? If so i have cut through a branch about and inch and a half with a UKPK no battoning needed.
Still mean to grab a bit for carving.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE