Choosing a survival knife

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
That is indeed a fine looking knife & sheath. I've been looking for inspiration for a sheath for my Bernie Garland nesmuk, i'll have to get topknot to look at that.

Rob

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens

My maths ain't what they used to be but that looks like more money buddy. :) http://www.knifeworks.com/ontarioknifeblackbirdsk-5.aspx

The fancy sheath is made by a different company specifically for the blackbird.

I don't find the Ritter as appealing anyway.

I've just ordered one! The knife not the sheath lol.

It occurred to me that posting this up on the forum could result in stocks of the knife running low so I thought I'd better get in there. Not that I just couldn't resist any longer, oh no, not at all.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My maths ain't what they used to be but that looks like more money buddy. :) http://www.knifeworks.com/ontarioknifeblackbirdsk-5.aspx

Good point! I was looking at a $175 price tag. And the steel is 154CM so that's a plus for wet weather. The ritter would likely be easier to sharpen though. I also like the more pointy blade on the ritter and the more rounded handle vs flat sides, although the micarta is without a doubt more grippy. You can get micarta scales for the ritter but at an additional cost. A little less guard on the ritter as well which is a plus to me, as is the exposed tang which can be used as a scraper.

yes its one i bumped into just after i finished this customer design

rsc_2c.jpg

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Good point! I was looking at a $175 price tag. And the steel is 154CM so that's a plus for wet weather. The ritter would likely be easier to sharpen though. I also like the more pointy blade on the ritter and the more rounded handle vs flat sides, although the micarta is without a doubt more grippy. You can get micarta scales for the ritter but at an additional cost. A little less guard on the ritter as well which is a plus to me, as is the exposed tang which can be used as a scraper.

It's the less pointy tip that I like about the blackbird, there'd be more strength behind it. Very similar to a Kephart knife as others have said elsewhere.

I've not tried a knife with such a pronounced guard so I'm a little apprehensive as to whether I'll get along with it or not. As its built as a survival knife I think a finger guard is a good idea. If ever I was to use it for what it is designed for, to survive, I should imagine I'd be cold, hungry and at best a little jittery, at worst scared silly. A little extra protection in for my fingers in that situation would be appreciated!

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hiya im fairly new to bush craft. I have a eka knife but im not to keen on it. Its a bit heavy for me. Any suggestions on a lightweight but study knife? Also i dont think i can put the knife up on ebay to sell any suggestions on where i can get rid of it? Does anyone have experience with the golite jam?

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Hey there LuckyDucky welcome to the forum.
You might want to start your own thread with that question so more people will see it but in the meantime I'll recommend a Mora Clipper knife or if you want some thing a bit fancier have a look at an Enzo Trapper. Both knives are very highly regarded.

Cheers
Sean

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE