Choosing a sleeping bag and EN temperature

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Hi folks! I'm basically looking for a more suitable sleeping bag for my camping trips I tend to go out in all parts of the year but i need this specifically for a several month long UK backpacking trip under a tarp with a bivi bag. The one I currently have is a karrmindor and its very bulky its a 2-3 season sleeping bag with a comfort temp of -3 and extreme of -12. The problem is I'm confused as to the temperature rating system for sleeping bags ive heard a guy in this video say that most companies do it based off the temperature of the inside of a tent. :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N1yIhDGLDg
How can I be sure of a decent sleeping bag purchase? Do you folks have any advice or recommendations for products? I intend to purchase it around the -£50 mark I'm looking for something that can meet my current sleeping bag specs but by being mujch lighter and less bulky I need to shed off a lot of pack weight.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
You are going to struggle at £50 James. I dont know what your karrimor weighs and packs down too but to hit those temperature requrements in a lightweight package is most likely going to need down rather than synthetic. In synthetic the Snugpack elite 3 is rated to -5 (-10 extreme) and can be had for £75 ish. In down its tough, an Alpkit SkyeHigh 600 is £110. Alpkit tend to fit a racing snake so only go for them if you can live with a close fitting bag. They are rated -5. I would seriously consider upping the budget if possile. Sleeping bag is where i spent big but i sleep better for it.

have a look at mountain equipment too. their synthetic bags seem to go lighter than most but they do some good down bags too.

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/mount...de=1&gclid=CPrxnozJ2LYCFTMdtAodrnwAGw#tdesc_2

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi folks! I'm basically looking for a more suitable sleeping bag for my camping trips I tend to go out in all parts of the year but i need this specifically for a several month long UK backpacking trip under a tarp with a bivi bag. The one I currently have is a karrmindor and its very bulky its a 2-3 season sleeping bag with a comfort temp of -3 and extreme of -12. The problem is I'm confused as to the temperature rating system for sleeping bags ive heard a guy in this video say that most companies do it based off the temperature of the inside of a tent. :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N1yIhDGLDg
How can I be sure of a decent sleeping bag purchase? Do you folks have any advice or recommendations for products? I intend to purchase it around the -£50 mark I'm looking for something that can meet my current sleeping bag specs but by being mujch lighter and less bulky I need to shed off a lot of pack weight.

ALL of the manufacturers (without exception) are optimistic on the temp ratings but some are more realistic than others :confused: The EN certification bases the guide as a fit, healthy adult male who doesn't sleep cold and isn't cold and knackered to start with. Take the variables into account and aim low with the temp ratings or just wear more clothes in the sack!

The manufacturer that is first to produce a small, light, warm and CHEAP bag will crack the market. It hasn't happened yet in about 100 years of sleeping bag evolution, but it must happen one day.

In the meantime let us know what your bag weighs and measures and we'll see what we can point you towards.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
You'll have to browse the surplus market. This one is interesting and almost on the 50 quid mark (dunno shipping cost to UK):

http://www.militaria4you.com/paginas/artikel-details.php?id=3660

The bag in the link appears to be a Carinthia Tropen, I have one and it's a great bag BUT it's a summer bag and the -12 rating is for survival purposes only, not comfort. I have found Carinthia to be accurate on their temp ratings and their comfort rating for the Tropen is +5c. The Op should be able to find a Defence 4 for around his budget though - I've recently seen new ones going for around £50 on eBay.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I use a sky high 800 as my winter down bag and it's more than roomy enough and I'm no racing snake.
You may be better of with a 2 season bag and a fleece liner or wear softie jacket and pants inside your bag.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
A SH would fit me in a Long but otherwise it's a no go- I've got a 47" chest and even a Snugpak Softie is tight (not snug but tight) on me. The SH is also way over the spec budget @ £130.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
The bag in the link appears to be a Carinthia Tropen, I have one and it's a great bag BUT it's a summer bag and the -12 rating is for survival purposes only, not comfort. I have found Carinthia to be accurate on their temp ratings and their comfort rating for the Tropen is +5c. The Op should be able to find a Defence 4 for around his budget though - I've recently seen new ones going for around £50 on eBay.

Nope, it's a Carinthia Federleicht. It's heavier & rated to -12. Made for the dutch air force. I saw the bag's and they look decent (that vendor has new ones)

Check for reference here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Orig-NL-Arme...ten-Federleicht-oliv-210-cm-NEU-/310607490869

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Interesting but your link says that it's the same weight as a Tropen and comfort rated to 0c and an extreme of -5c - and Federleicht/vederleicht is just German/Dutch for lightweight ...

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
sleeping bags are usually rated with 3 temperatures.

t comf - comfortable for a woman
t lim - comfortable for a man
t ext - the temperature at which health issues due to cold can occur for a man

at least that what i've read on the internet.
and of course you must remove a couple of "optimist degrees"

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Sleeping bag temps are a dark art - there is a Highlander/proforce bag which is offically -5 http://www.cnfoutdoors.co.uk/pro-fo...oduct+search&gclid=CIvEhKv13bYCFUXJtAod-2kAGQ for comfort. Endicotts reckon its -3 for extreme! http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1351 Who do I believe? Endicotts!

If you are looking to be comfortable at -12, you are almost certainly going to have to spend more, and if your current bag is very bulky, then thats going to be an even bigger problem with a warmer synthetic bag. Apparently the 58 pattern bag is basically a Softie 9 http://www.arrse.co.uk/weapons-equipment-rations/165410-temp-ratings-issue-sleeping-bags.html in temp terms, and the Arctic is apparently a 12-15. However, I've got an old Snugpak Osprey 12, but although its rated as comfortable at -10, I'd be careful at taking that as read. Snugpak have the Winter 4 (sound like the old civvy Osprey) for about £95, and you'll pay about the same for a 12 (mil spec). Mountain Hardware also get really good reviews.

An Arctic is around £40-50 on ebay, but look at what your local surplus shop has in, you might get a good deal on a Dutch/German bag. You can have light, warm and cheap, but normally just two out of the three. £50 is not really going to do it for something that you'll be using for months during all parts of the year with a tarp and bivvy (unless you sleep very very warm). Spend more, because its the best investment you'll make. If your doing summer camping, then you can spend less, and often you'll end up with more than one bag, depending on conditions.

If you want light then its going to be down, and the Alpkit SkyeHigh 800 would probably fit the bill - they are in stock and have twenty quid off, so £130. Thats what I'd be looking at - buy once, buy right. And a decent mat will make a lot of difference, again Alpkits are good kit for the money.

Last edited:

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
dont skimp on your sleeping bag. if you thinkb how long they last and how much you appreciate them when your warm intial out cost isn't important. a £100 knife that cuts really well or a £100 sleeping bag you spend hundeeds of houes in warm.

Robin DuBois

Apr 29, 2013
nfa
i've never understood why £100 and over sleeping bags lack the feature that most army bags have which is a waterproof base. I wouldn't swap my french army bag with its waterproof base and showerproof to with a chunky zip for any £200 high tech bag that would be ruined by a night sleeping rough. £25 is all it cost, and its kept me alive in the mountains of morocco and the lowlands of scotland, both in winter months.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE