Choosing a New Fixed Blade Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Haggis

Nomad
Recently I gathered up more than a dozen of my fixed blade knives for a photograph, and when recounting to my son the origin of each, it occurred to me that I had only purchased two "hunting/camping" knives in the last 43 years, and the most expensive of the two cost $5.50, (in 1974). Most of my fixed blade knives were gifts from friends and family, or taken in as trades for of all things, surplus chickens. Some of my "gift" fixed blade knives I've never used, having simply forgotten having them, while others have been quite literally worn out from use. At 64, I certainly don't "need" another knife, but I've been looking at new knives, looking for something special, something "bling-ish", something extremely well made, and with an equally well made leather sheath.

My 2 favorite fixed blade knives are both, from pommel to tip, 8 1/2" long; I've large hands, the 2 knives could have been a trifle longer. I looked at getting a Randall, but don't fancy waiting 4 or 5 years for a custom from them, nor do I leap joyously at the thought of paying $700 for a Randall of a design of someone else's choosing. I've contacted two custom knife makers: one in the UK (Raven), and one in the US (Anderson Forge), neither have responded, and me with ready cash and a design in mind.

I like a quillon, front and rear. I like a straight swage atop the back of the blade. I like thumb grooves. I like a blade with a continuous belly. I like stag handles. I like a full tang. I like the handle to be swelled toward the center. I like carbon steel. I don't like a very thick blade; 5/64" is more than thick enough.

If you were going to buy what might be the "knife of a lifetime": What might it be? Who would make it? What features would it need have?

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
If i were going to buy the knife of the lifetime, I would make it myself, which is something I recommend you do. If you have enough money for a custom knife, you have more than enough to make a knife you'll be happy with. Of course if you really don't want to do this, you could always contact one of the wonderful makers on this forum. Not sure if a lot of them will make the traditional large bowie type knife you want, but be sure to shoot them an email.

Of course my dream knife is cocobolo handle scales, 01 steel, with a convex scandi and 5.5" blade. But to each their own.

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I love Dave Budd's knives so worth checking out his site I have four of his and they are like no other, exceptional!

For mass produced I like my Esee Izula, Wilkinson sword woolore and as a camp knife my MOD knife or my Khukri.....just my preferences:)

Haggis

Nomad
Thanks for the suggestions. Someone mentioned "Bowie" knives; I'm not really into large knives at all, as I said, my 2 favorite knives have a total length of 8 1/2" from pointy tip to end of pommel. One of the two is a very sturdy, very useable, absolutely bullet proof Gerber Gator, but with it's "space age" rubber grip and stainless blade it is not pleasing to my eye.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Have a look at my website, would be happy to quote & discuss with you for a knife of your own design. I have sent a few knives to the states. Send me a P.M. or email direct if interested.
Eifion

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Three people I would suggest

HillBill (Mark)

http://www.markhillknives.com/

or Duncan (FGYT)

http://www.dorsetwoodlandblades.co.uk/

- both of their work is exemplary as dozens of people here can attest to.

The third man made my "knife for life" - a Sheffield cutler called Stuart Mitchell

His details are here

http://www.stuartmitchellknives.com/contact.html

+1 to these

I know Mark has done a good few and sent them to the US but not sure about Duncan.
I have knives from both these guys and more than happy with the quality and performance.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...If you were going to buy what might be the "knife of a lifetime": What might it be? Who would make it? What features would it need have?.."

I already have my 'knives of a lifetime'.

A twelve year old Alan Wood Woodlore, the blade shape is visibly different from when it was bought but I cannot seeing me sharpening it away into uselessness in the next thirty(ish) years (if I last that long).

The other is an early Chris Reeve Sebenza which is drawer queen these days but come out for special occasions. :)

If I had to start again, the names listed above would be where I'd look first.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got a Gary Mills Timberwolf, it is extremely well made and will last me a lifetime! I doubt that'll stop me buying more though...:)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
As your in America I'd have to suggest MLKnives.com Matt makes stunners

this ones mine :D

Leekepharthandled_zpsbfc8d5fd.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Loveless made a nice knife. Mark or Stu could make the same thing - to fit you exactly - or with any refinement you want - up to the bolt heads being engraved with acorns :eek:

Haggis

Nomad
This is the old knife I like to recreate,,, with cleaner lines, a full tang, and slightly thicker blade. The handle has always been slightly small for my large hands, but I've grown very accustomed to the swadge; it's much as if I'm using two knives. I've used this knife to dress and skin many many dozens of deer, hogs, cattle, and other such sized critters; the double edged blade is very handy for splitting the pelvic bone to more easily remove the last portion of the intestines, or when skinning the head of of something, such as a bear. The belly of the blade cuts through the sternum of a beast quite readily. After so many years though, I am always afraid I will break it, or lose it, and I'd like to leave it to my children and Grand-Darlings to fight over.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That looks like a job for HillBill. We have been kicking around similar designs for a while!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE