Chisel protector

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Evening All,

I needed a way to protect the cutting edge of a couple of chisels/gouges that I carry in my bag and came up with this;

agedytu7.jpg

It's not particularly pretty but is functional and was made quickly from stuff I had laying around.

Cheers

Jon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
For chisel protector mark II just extend the leather bit and make a sheath.

To many people don't bother to protect their edges.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know the wrapped birch bark sheaths for traditional small Scandinavian knives ? that technique would work well for chisels I reckon.

I admit I made a tool roll for mine though.

cheers,
Toddy

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Best stuff I've ever found for protecting chisel edges is Polymorph

Fill a mug with boiling water, put maybe a level teaspoon of polymorph granules into the hot water and stir with a teaspoon till they clump together in the mug.
Remove and shape round the chisel end.
Instant plastic chisel cover that fits perfectly. I've made several of them after I lost the ones that come with the chisel or for secondhand chisels and they are tougher, better fitting and if you want to make something else from the chisel cover you just chuck it back into hot water and shape it to whatever shape you want.

Oh, and being white when cooled polymorph is more visible when you drop it on the floor than the usual black covers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE