Chinese "Booster" multi-fuel stove (a brief review)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
The only issue i have had with coleman stuff is some fittings sometimes need a tweak and the nuts are imperial. only had that once after a full rebuild but i never carry imperial spanners even in the car.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
I've just taken delivery of one f these today. Quite impressed with the build quality, more than I was expecting certainly. Only issue is with the (lack of) instructions. I am planning to use it with paraffin, but I don't know which nozzle to use. The one in it is "35" and it came with a seperate "30", anyone help me out? Cheers.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Well my usual luck with equipment continues. Fuel is leaking from the valve on the pump assembly under pressure, even with everything tightened as much as it could be without bursting it, no doubt it will cost more to send it back than the unit itself cost, we'll see what the supplier says. Still it may still work with gas, so not a total loss. I hope.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
The part where it was leaking from doesn't get used with gas cannisters, so in theory it should be fine. I will however be taking extra precautions, just in case.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Update on my faulty stove: It's taken a while but the ebay seller sent out a replacement pump, so all is now
working as it should be. It was sent without asking for the faulty one back so quite happy with the service,
even though it has taken a while and a couple of emails, I wasn't really in a rush. Now all I need is some time
to get to use it in the field!

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Booster (at least I think it is) from a UK Seller ("tomorrowyes") on Ebay for £32.05 (free P&P). Just ordered one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111182209...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2293wt_1401

I was looking at this very one when I read the Q&A:

Q: Hi the multi fuel camping stove you have does it take petrol aswell or just gas and heating oil? Many thanks grant
A: Dear buyer. It is working better with gas. Regards

That doesn't really recommend its liquid fuel capabilities! It would be interesting to have your feedback and assessment after you have played with it and seen how well it works on petrol/panel wipe etc. The English is a bit dodgy considering it is shipping from Portsmouth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so I have had a read back to the beginning of the thread now and I am tempted to have one of these. I want to experiment with a multi-fuel stove and this looks like good value. I'm guessing it will run off a cheap butane cylinder with a converter to screw thread. I picked up a Trangia copy brand new at the car boot for £2.50! so I will see if it fits inside there.

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Finally used mine up in the Cairngorms and when I could generate pressure it worked fine- examined the pump and the seal looks intact but it was hit and miss whether it pumped properly or not...

KP

ollyboyd

Dec 2, 2013
Scotland
I've used one of the Booster stoves for a couple of years now only with petrol, you might want to keep a box of assorted micro o-rings handy because the rubber in them does perish over time and petrol will leak out. If i were to do it again I would probably have shelled out for the real deal but at the time I was on a tiny budget so no regrets really.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Can't see why standard O rings suitable for contact with fuel wouldn't work.

I did contact the seller I got mine from to purchase a spare hose and was sent the wrong one. I emailed pictures of the one I needed and heard nothing back... Not worth following it up as it was only a couple of quid.....

Thinking I'll buy a Kovea Spider or Optimus Vega for all year use though- safer for in tent cooking (if necessary), lighter and less messy when disconnecting.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Kilt if you can up your budget look at the Primus Omnifuel, burns paraffin/Coleman/panel wipe/Aspen 4T and standard thread gas cans.

[video=youtube;Tdja7UCIt0Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdja7UCIt0Y[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE