Chinese "Booster" multi-fuel stove (a brief review)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
It looks great Rik but I want to get rid of the bulk and I still have the booster for when I want the multi fuel options. Also budget won't stretch unless I sell a kidney- not sure if posting that on the sellers forum here breaks any rules! Hahaha

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
It looks great Rik but I want to get rid of the bulk and I still have the booster for when I want the multi fuel options. Also budget won't stretch unless I sell a kidney- not sure if posting that on the sellers forum here breaks any rules! Hahaha

dude get the better stove, even if you have to save up mate, i got one of these and have had all sorts of problems trying to get a replacement pump after my one was leaking like hell, good job i was not using petrol too, or the whole house and garage could have gone up...

regards.

chris.

ps i managed to get a primus omnifuel (i think) and its much better system in comparison and bomb proof parts...:)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Thanks for the warning on the Chinese booster leaks.

To be honest, if I can invert the Spider or the Vega, I won't really need a Multifuel stove anyway- the will cope with any winter camping I will be doing...

mikemarcus

Aug 23, 2014
Manchester
I just bought one of these from eBay to replace my MSR whisperlite which broke after shockingly few uses.

I've had the following problems:

1) It only burns around about a quarter of the circumference of the ring
2) it takes way longer than it should to boil water (longer than my crappy home made meths stove)
3) Using an MSR bottle, it runs out of fuel when the bottle is half empty
4) The bottle leaks if carried with the pump attached
5) The tool doesn't fit the nuts it's designed to be used on

I specifically chose to buy it from a UK seller as I didn't want all the hassle and communication issues of dealing with china. It turns out that they are a Chinese seller shipping from an address in the UK. When I emailed to request a refund, it took three attempts before they understood what I was asking for.

I'm seriously unimpressed. I wonder how much money I'll have to spend before I find a decent, safe, dependable stove? Both the whisperlite and the booster certainly aint it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
123 or the 8 are good small stoves, the 111T burn paraffin,naptha and meths. This one I lit for the first time since 2005 a couple of days ago. Its been sat in my lock up for years, I'm now clearing it out and cleaning up/fettling a few stoves.

OPTIMUS 111T (Large).jpg

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Reckon the basic Optimus 111 running paraffin is the daddy for reliability and practicality(and safer than petrol stoves, although some will argue for the Primus 45 - after all the British Antarctic teams have used it for decades). Although of the Optimus petrol stoves, I have a particular fondness for the small 99, whose lid doubles as a pan - much more usable than the silly "cup" on the 123.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like the 111, the Australian Antarctic teams used them (referred to as 'choofer' stoves) and IIRC some of the American teams did too. For simple reliability the No5 would be my favourite.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Just ordered the Kovea Spider- half the price of the Vega and fits in and MSR Titan Kettle with a 110 gas cart.

Update: it doesn't quite fit in the Titan Kettle but it's small enough to still fit in Cuben stuff sack with the kettle.

Also got a Vega second hand.... No need for a Multifuel now.....

gegoo

Dec 3, 2014
slovakia
bootle leaking any advice ? [video=youtube;fLp6Tyze2Gg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLp6Tyze2Gg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
bootle leaking any advice ? [video=youtube;fLp6Tyze2Gg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLp6Tyze2Gg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I regret to tell you this but bin it, save up for a good stove from a quality maker, these stoves are good if you manage to get one that actually works, my one had 10 times more fuel leak out in about 5 seconds after i lit it....

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I found a link to a european ban on some of these brs made stoves, yes it was 2008 but I dont think it makes much difference number 34 http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/safet...m?event=main.weeklyOverview&web_report_id=304

thats the badger, they are dangerous really, i used petrol in my one and just after i lit it fuel went all over the place, nearly burned the place down....

just goes to show, some things are worth paying the money for, my list so far are boots, bedding, warm kit and now stoves..

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Without a close inspection of the dismantled stove it's hard to say but the black collar assembly that locks onto the fuel bottle looks like a compression fit so it should come off simply and so plumbers tape (PTFE tape) could be one solution to better seal the mating surfaces.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE