Chilling out at Comrie Croft

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mrs Shewie and I managed to get away for a few days last week whilst she’s off for half-term, we headed north to Comrie Croft for a bit of lavvu action. It was the first time out with the new tent, stove and cot beds so it was a good learning experience.
In hindsight I think the cot beds might have been one luxury too far, they were comfy come bed time and made great benches during the day but they were a bit of a hindrance. With the added 40cm elevation it kind of negated the lower wall section of the Bergans, it meant it brought us too close to the tent fabric and caused us to rub the sleeping bag and pillows against the soggy fabric, which brings me on to the second point.
With the extremes of temperature it was inevitable that there was going to be some condensation issues with the single skin lavvu. I forgot to check with the thermometer but I reckon it was a good 30*c in the tent and hovering around 0*c outside at night. The condensation only formed in the lower third of the tent but it was enough to be annoying with the cots. Next time I think we’ll just use the Fat Airics on the floor, that’ll give us twice as much floor space too I reckon. I found a microfibre cloth worked well to give the inside a wipe now and then.

Next up is the stove, what a beast it is too. I’d ferried up three bags of hardwood logs I sourced locally and they worked a treat for the four days we were there. I probably split them a bit too small at home before we went, no biggy but it just meant we threw two logs in at a time instead of just one, lesson learned though for next time.
Another issue with the cot beds meant we were probably too close to the stove come bed time. We were never going to burn ourselves but there was always a chance you might roll a bit too close in the sleeping bag and melt it. In fairness the semi sunken lay in the cots meant the chances of that happening were pretty slim, it was on our minds though when we switched the lights off for the night. With the mats on the floor it would be noticeably cooler, the heat didn’t really sink much lower than the height of the stove, standing up was like putting your head in the oven at home.

We had no issues with the lavvu whatsoever, it went up first time, gave a great taught pitch and laughed at the heavy downpours. On the first night I didn’t quite align the stove flue properly as it exited the cap, that meant we got a few drips coming through onto the stove during the night, the second day I wombled some wire from a broken fishing net I found in a car park next to a river, a couple of twists here and there and the flue was anchored to the centre pole and sat much better. I was the able to wrap the cap fabric round the flue much better and kept out the drips. Even though we had the stove glowing on occasions we had no problems with the lavvu fabric getting hot, the collar on the Helsport flue did a grand job.

Enough waffle, some pics ...

Lavvu, stove and beds setup, wife's legs and wellies
P1010392P.jpg

P1010391P.jpg

Like a complete div I lit the stove with some pine kindling, the result was a hole in the tent after just five minutes Note the piece of waterproof plaster :(
P1010393P.jpg

Friday morning, I love this shot, I think it's going on the wall
P1010398P.jpg

We went for a nice steady walk around the Glen Lednock Circular, stunning scenery in the autumn colours, the Melville Monument
P1010399P.jpg

Snowcapped Ben Chonzie
P1010401P.jpg

Rowan growing from a huge Oak stump
P1010402P.jpg

We stopped at the Shakey Bridge for a brew, I found a perfect round hole in the roots to seat the F1 in.
P1010407P.jpg

On through the woods
P1010420P.jpg

The colours were amazing, my point and shoot doesn't do it justice
P1010423P.jpg

P1010426P.jpg

Wee Cauldron
P1010428P.jpg

Furry trees
P1010429P.jpg

One incident worth mentioning, on my way out of the tent one morning I accidentally knocked my down gillet off the bed and it fell against the stove, it was only in contact for a nano second but it was enough to make a mess.

Helsport 1 - 0 Alpkit
P1010438P.jpg

I sent off an email to Alpkit this morning to see if they could recommend a repairer, they said just stick some sellotape over the hole, get it in a bag and send it back to us and we'll repair it F.O.C. What a result, it's packed and going tomorrow :)

Helsport 1 - 1 Alpkit

A great time was had, I got to say farewell to a good friend too which otherwise would have been unlikely, I've come home thoroughly relaxed and looking forward to the next one.

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi, looks good. It's the plastic tent ? Hence more condensation than a cotton/canvas one ?

I have been humming and hawing about getting a LAVVU (canvas one) and it's mainly to make
overnighters more comfortable as I can dry kit and sit about comfortably during the long
dark nights just now.

Did you find the longer nights ok as you had all the space and heat ?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice one Rich, glad you both had a good weekend.

Looks very comfy and the snow looks very appealing.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Magic setting there Shewie, must get down there sometime.

I was thinking about a cot bed for my Lavvu but based on your comments I'll stick with the Exped Downmat.

I decided to shove the flue of my stove out through the wall of my pollycotton one using the silicone jack. It sets the stove back a bit and in hind sight I loose more floor space- I probably should have made a spacer and sent it out the top.

apyveqyv.jpg

Still, it's usually only me in it so no major drama.

Stunning pics mate, that one of the Lavvu in the trees is a beaut right enough!

KP

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What fabulous pictures, it looks an amazing weekend! Deepest sympathies on the hole, bet that turned the woodland air blue for a few minutes ;)

Yeah you could say that, I thought if it's already got a hole in what's it going to be like at the end of the holiday :( After I got my brain in gear and switched to the hardwood we never got another one.

Hi, looks good. It's the plastic tent ? Hence more condensation than a cotton/canvas one ?

I have been humming and hawing about getting a LAVVU (canvas one) and it's mainly to make
overnighters more comfortable as I can dry kit and sit about comfortably during the long
dark nights just now.

Did you find the longer nights ok as you had all the space and heat ?

I could really get used it Nick, the downside I see with the nylon is you have to be prepared to take hardwood as mentioned above. Not really practical if you're trekking but easily doable in an open I'd say. For true wilderness trips a cotton one would make sense as you could just use pine etc, saying that an army 7x9 canvas tent with a diagonal flue would be even better, my next project I think :)

looks fantastic place to spend some time nice one.

Cheers Karl, we had a great time thanks

Nice one Rich, glad you both had a good weekend.

Looks very comfy and the snow looks very appealing.

Luxury mate :) Yeah the snow was very tempting and tantalisingly close :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Lovely camp, Rich. Mrs B. & I have had some nice jaunts over the Autumn & Spring half-term breaks in the past.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Magic setting there Shewie, must get down there sometime.

I was thinking about a cot bed for my Lavvu but based on your comments I'll stick with the Exped Downmat.

I decided to shove the flue of my stove out through the wall of my pollycotton one using the silicone jack. It sets the stove back a bit and in hind sight I loose more floor space- I probably should have made a spacer and sent it out the top.

apyveqyv.jpg

Still, it's usually only me in it so no major drama.

Stunning pics mate, that one of the Lavvu in the trees is a beaut right enough!

KP

I think for one you'll be fine with a cot KP, if I'm going solo with it I'll be trying it for sure. I'll just swing the stove round 90* instead of it facing the door and I'll have a whole empty half to live in.

Is that the Bison Tunde you've got btw?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cracking setup there Rich. How was the welding mat? Good on Alpkit, its nice when they go the extra mile.

Yeah it worked a treat mate, cheers for the heads up on that one. I never got any clinkers fall out of the fire so it didn't get a burn test. I thought the stove base would get much hotter than it did, but even wood stacked underneath never got that hot. I think the cold ground made a happy medium.

Lovely camp, Rich. Mrs B. & I have had some nice jaunts over the Autumn & Spring half-term breaks in the past.

We do get a few trips away together Ian, I feel guilty otherwise :) This was probably the one most out of her comfort zone though with the cold, going to the toilets was a layering up ordeal but she had somewhere to plug in the hair dryer and straighteners in the morning, I think we're still not quite ready for wild camping together :)

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Looks like you had a great time mate,the pictures are excellent...........i to like your favourite.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Is that the Bison Tunde you've got btw?

Aye, it is. Great tent but needed proofed as factory proofing well known for being rubbish- I used Thompsons water seal many years ago so hope it's not too flammable!

Oh well, I'll be on the look out for a cot for the Glen Coe meet in Feb!!!

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Stunning fotos Rich.

I've never ventured farther than the campsite at Comrie croft if I'm being honest.

Will remedy that on my next visit.

Liam.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Looks like a great weekend away Shewie, heated tents are the way forward at this time of year, whole new level of comfort :)

Cheers,

Stuart

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Great set up Rich ,good for those longer trips were you want some comfort at a base camp
Good pics to

Jason

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like you had a great time mate,the pictures are excellent...........i to like your favourite.

Loved it, cheers mate

nice pictures mate, iv lived in crieff and perth for 8 years been out to the croft a dozen times tis a great wee spot

I don;t know how you could leave Hamish, it's a stunning part of the country

Aye, it is. Great tent but needed proofed as factory proofing well known for being rubbish- I used Thompsons water seal many years ago so hope it's not too flammable!

Oh well, I'll be on the look out for a cot for the Glen Coe meet in Feb!!!

I've had my eye on one for a while, but I'm gonna stick with the nylon for a while but look at making something like a Snowtrekker tent from an army surplus jobby

Stunning fotos Rich.

I've never ventured farther than the campsite at Comrie croft if I'm being honest.

Will remedy that on my next visit.

Liam.

Cheers Liam, there's loads of nice walks about the place, this time of year it's stunning up there with the big broadleaf areas. Lots of nice hammocking potential too I noted :)

Looks like a great weekend away Shewie, heated tents are the way forward at this time of year, whole new level of comfort :)

Cheers,

Stuart

It's the first time I've tried it and I think I'm sold, I did miss the hammock though

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful photos Rich :D Really Autumn gold :)

Interesting info on the tent and cots too. I must admit I've always been wary of the tipi style simply because of that tight space that seems such a waste. Do you not fancy a bell tent ? Just as easy to put up, but the walls are a boon, tbh.

Thanks for sharing :)

cheers,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Beautiful photos Rich :D Really Autumn gold :)

Interesting info on the tent and cots too. I must admit I've always been wary of the tipi style simply because of that tight space that seems such a waste. Do you not fancy a bell tent ? Just as easy to put up, but the walls are a boon, tbh.

Thanks for sharing :)

cheers,
M

It was picture book autumn Mary, just what we hoped for. The snow on Friday night was cool too :)

If they only made an olive green Bell I'd buy it :) It's the weight and bulk that puts me off though, I know they'd be great for longer static camps but with the little one I can chuck it in the canoe no bother, and the stove. There is a bit of a low wall on the Bergans but the cots wasted that really, mats will be better I think.

Oh yeah, I spoke to George too about you know what, I'm to drop him an email and we can negotiate :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE