Child's knife recommendations please

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Usual crowd?

No attitude. All kids are different and as the parent I'm best positioned to judge what's best for mine. It's a very personal thing with no one size fits all solution. Hence my reply, it was completely devoid of sarcasm.

It's nothing to do with political correctness. Wind your neck back in and bring up your kids the way you want too.

wind your own in, your not the op, he asked for an opinion not reinforcement. Did your dad not trust you with a sharp knife? Mind did...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
wind your own in, your not the op, he asked for an opinion not reinforcement. Did your dad not trust you with a sharp knife? Mind did...

Bloody ell mate. Not sure what you're smoking tonight. My reply, the one which you accused me of being sarky, having an agenda, and being part of the usual crowd (whatever that is)... That reply. Was simply to say the best person to judge is the parent of the kids in question.

Back off.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

...and they appeal to adults too:lmao:

Hadn't seen the saw version cheers for that. I think they're a great present as a kid - remember being soooo chuffed when given that first knife. I knew that I was trusted and that my adventures outside would just get better. Would have been even better with a Jack Russell to go exploring with rather than a dumb psycho cat.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Gus lets just remember that 9 & 10 year olds can learn to use an ordinary knife without a rounded point and be sensible if they are taught the consequences of misuse. I have taught kids I have never met before on a number of occasions and some that didnt claim to speak English without issue. By the time you have explained the the consequences on cutting into your thigh with a knife they pay attention and follow instructions.

This group of kids is a bunch of scouts I hadn't met before but taught them all at once to use a knife many of of whom hadnt used a fixed blade knife to carve wood before. I spent a day and half doing this for over 100 kids and adults with a variety of knives including my recommended knife the Scout Mora. I even had one girl who was terrified to pick up a knife who I was lucky my mate joined me for that session and he persuaded her to have go while I was busy and after half an hour she really enjoyed using a knife.

P1296466 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Pointless knives are just that pointless.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Thanks to all and Jared in particular for the link which I used to buy the knife. I opted for the Wenger junior version in the end as it is very similar to the SAK evo which is my own EDC. For some future Christmas, it will be a Mora Companion- the best all round knife I've ever had and bought as a result of reading BushcraftUK members' comments and recommendations.

Knife questions always stir up strong feelings and ALL comments I found helpful. I've had a knife in my pocket for 65 years now since my great uncle sold me a beautiful little two-bladed knife for a penny when I was six, and bitterly regret the way the most useful tool in the history of mankind has become the object of mistrust and misunderstanding. It's a tool not a weapon as we all know. However, my grandson will have to deal with world as it is not the way his Grandpa wishes it was.

Nov 12, 2013
Texas, USA
All children are different. I was very careful with knives, even from an early age, because my parents told me to be (I was very obedient). My oldest nephew is 10, and has a knife, but I think they waited until he was 8 or 9 before giving him one, because he's less careful with things. I know some adults who are less trustworthy with knives than some children.

Ultimately, it's up to the parent to gauge when to give a child a knife, based on that child's personality and maturity level. When I eventually give my grandson a knife (he's 3 right now), it will only be with the permission of his parents, since they are the ones who are around him all day. I'll teach him knife safety and such, but they are going to be better judges of when he's ready to accept that responsibility.

Accidents will happen, and I wouldn't be too concerned if a child cut his hand with his knife while learning to use it whittle or shave wood. Pain is a good teacher, as I'm sure many of us can attest to. I would be more concerned about him waving it at other people or animals, throwing it, running with it, etc. Accidents are one thing - immaturely brandishing is another thing altogether.

Nov 12, 2013
Texas, USA
On that same note, I learned to shoot a gun when I was 6 or 7, as did my brothers. We were extremely careful with it, and followed the safety precautions rigorously, because my father told us to. At 46, I still follow everything my father taught me about the safe use of guns.

I have seen adults who should never be near a gun, though. A few years ago I was at a party where a guy in his early 20s was showing off the new engraving on his handgun, and got so excited (he was drunk) that he was waving it around wildly.

Knives are generally not as dangerous as guns, of course. I tend to see knives more as tools, like any other. Given that, though, I wouldn't let an 8 year old operate a belt sander without supervision, and only then if I was sure that he would carefully follow every instruction I gave him.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Some kids groups insist on rounded ends, if you're an instructor then the client is always right (or more accurately their insurance policy and risk assessment may not be open to debate if you value their pay-cheque).

I know that won't sit well with some people, I'm just sayin'

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Just to put another name into the ring for a future contender, the Helle Scout is a quality knife. I got mine about that age and have used it over the decades since.

l234143.png

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
You have to go with the flow with these things in my opinion. In this country knives give people the willies. Even the humble SAK does not seem to get the free pass that it used to. Rounded blades do have one big advantage over pointed blades when it comes to group activities though as It helps reduce the likelihood of injuries due to horsing around. I know my youngest could not be trusted with a pointed object as it would soon be used on his brothers rear end, demon child that he is.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You have to go with the flow with these things in my opinion. In this country knives give people the willies. Even the humble SAK does not seem to get the free pass that it used to. Rounded blades do have one big advantage over pointed blades when it comes to group activities though as It helps reduce the likelihood of injuries due to horsing around. I know my youngest could not be trusted with a pointed object as it would soon be used on his brothers rear end, demon child that he is.

Agreed, and you can't throw a rounded blade so that it sticks in something either - so you'd be less tempted to try.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If I remember correctly my dad gave me my first knife when I was about six. It was a typical little folder in the style of a 'whittler'. It didn't lock and it had a sharp point, but I don't remember cutting myself or stabbing myself. My advice would be to buy something they will continue to use if they don't loose it, rather than something altered to make it 'safer'.

Some of the neck knives available might make a nice knife for a kid. I really want one of the enzo neckers for myself as they look like great blades.
Alternatively, you can't go wrong with a SAK or an opinel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE