Children's first knife (safety)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Boy

Oct 23, 2004
UK
Hi All,

Not posted for ages but frequent visitor! My 7 year old son is itching to copy his Dad making firsticks, tent pegs etc. I know this has been covered before but searches reveal old threads with inactive links.

So, what would you suggest as his first knife? I have seen that Opinel do a folding 'children's knife' but wonder what else I should consider. I guess the selection criteria are: must be small enough for child's hands, must be round tipped (or safety tipped) and must not have any 'tactical' appearance (his learning to date with knives has been on their use as tools, not anything else). Steel type etc is not important - I can teach him to look after it. He has expressed a desire for a wooden handle.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Yeh the Mora is a good knife, you could always round the end off for him so its not as pointy.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Opinel do a junior folding knife with a rounded tip and a wooden handle:) barrel lock same as a standard opinel, cheap as chips and very good quality, ideal for a child learning knife skills.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd choose a fixed blade over a folder. That's just me though. I carve my girls wooden knives, then show them how to make a safe cut with them. Obviously, they can't cut anything with them other than samidges, but they can then learn which way is a safe cut, etc. At christmas, the elder two will both recieve a custom made knife from Stu Mitchell, it should last them their whole lives. I hope so anyway.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thats a good idea Spam, Nice touch with the Stuart michell Knives as a life long present.:)

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I was one of the lucky ones I grew up using knives. My father bought me a opinel no5 for my eighth birthday and though I cut myself plenty of times with it it wasn't with the point it was always the edge.

Personally I would recommend an opinel (it locks) and teaching them how to use it properly. Rather than give them a knife with a rounded tip and cut back on the safety aspects.

I was one of the lucky ones I grew up using knives. My father bought me a opinel no5 for my eighth birthday and though I cut myself plenty of times with it it wasn't with the point it was always the edge.

Personally I would recommend an opinel (it locks) and teaching them how to use it properly. Rather than give them a knife with a rounded tip and cut back on the safety aspects.

i agree on keeping a point its part of the knife and also part that you need to know how to use other wise all knives would be rounded and we wouldnt have endless discussion on whats the best point style :D it would be Rounded

like all learning it has to be matched to the Kid in question some may be competant at 5-6 (or earlier :D ) some adults shouldnt touch sharp Cheese

basically i whould follow the Std sizing ie as recommended By Mors maybe fractionally larger for growth a 3/4 scale is about right i recon ( which is what im making for my Daughter only 9mths in the making so far ...the knife that is:eek: maybe finished before shes married :D :D )

ATB

Duncan

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'd choose a fixed blade over a folder. That's just me though. I carve my girls wooden knives, then show them how to make a safe cut with them. Obviously, they can't cut anything with them other than samidges, but they can then learn which way is a safe cut, etc. At christmas, the elder two will both recieve a custom made knife from Stu Mitchell, it should last them their whole lives. I hope so anyway.

If you don't mind me asking Spamel, how old are they? I have 2 which aren't out of nappies yet and I'm wondering when to make them their first (and hopefully last) knives.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
My mother bought me a swiss army knife when I learned to read, I must have cut myself quite a few times as a nipper but still have all my fingers so its not all bad.

I got my first sheath knife off my brother when he came back from riding to Nordcap on his Triumph (I must have been seven or so) and an Opinel No 8 soon after.

I lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere though so it's maybe different for nippers in built up areas.

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
Not a proper knife I know...

But we have had lots of success with 7-11 yr olds using those straight potato peelers for whittling. They're surprisingly effective for simple cuts.

Get used a lot on experimental archaeology days that a colleague runs here in Suffolk County Council. They're easier to deal with in Health and Safety terms you see... :rolleyes:

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I think a point is an important part of the blade. I would say an opinel or a smaller fixed blade would be good. Something like the roselli carpenter, but maybe a guard is a good idea.

Good luck with the teaching. It's a lot of fun!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'm in two minds whether to suggest a blunt tipped knife and assume that the kids are likely to stab themselves with it, or to just teach them to use the pointy regular knife properly. I think I would go for the latter: proper knife, but make sure it has some finger protection (small guard) and an asymetrical blade/handle shape (Just makes it less easy to rest your thumb on the wrong side of the blade. I've almost done it myself when carving!).

As for make, well whatever you like really. But I would go for something with about a two inch blade, it's all you need and it is safer to use than a larger knife ;)

Obviously if I ever get around to having kids they will all be getting handmade knives as soon as they are able to hold them :D I don't think my dog is quite ready for that yet :rolleyes:

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I got my nipper an opinel with the blunt end. I really like it and use it myself to the point that I might have to get another for myself. She is 7 years old and loves camping.
When she gets older i will get her a fixed blade so its horses for courses. Let them pick the one they want ........with your guidance lol

Greg

gimme some mora

Apr 6, 2013
Wells
Try the Mora Classic scout 39 safe, it has stick tang construction,scandi grind(as all mora do) slightly rounded tip and double finger knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE