Child's knife recommendations please

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I want to get my 9 year old grandson his own knife for Christmas. I'm thinking of the Opinel rounded-ended version or the DoE tool but open minded on this.
Criteria:
Must be cheap so he won't be too upset when he loses it!
Safe to use even if not directly supervised
From a reliable source (BushcraftUk member preferred.)
Must not frighten the living daylights out of his parents. (My daughter-in-law has agreed in principal but she has more trust in my judgement than I do)

Any recommendations and/or sources (Hennie Hayes is out of stock) gratefully received.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Foldable; an Opinel no 6 or 8. My kids have them and love them. They're safe too, because they can not snap shut all of a sudden.
Fixed blade; a Mora scout. Fits in the hand of a child comfortably, so easy to handle. Blade not too large and comes in a decent sheath. And my kids have those as well. :rolleyes:
They're 7,11 and 12. They use them for prolonged periods at a time, sometimes up to half an hour non-stop!

Last edited:
I got shannon an opinel believe its called mon premiere opinel the one you described with a rounded tip.
I also got her a brusletto (I think) its a dinky wee thing which was suited for her hand when she was seven.

You could try one of the mora wood carving knives too. The 120 I think woukd be suitable and reasonably cheap.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya Oldtimer,

It would seem odd if you didn't go for an Opinel considering where you seem to spend most of your time. It fit's the criteria of not costing to much and if as safe as any knife can be. I take it he's only to use it under adult supervision? As obviously most come with a locking blade (My First Opinel), is he in the UK? There's also a rounded end simple junior Victorinox which is brighter and may appeal to some kids aesthetic more?

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
When I was 8 I got my first knife, a little swiss army knife, still have it actually! If you went down the fixed blade route have you considered possibly buying a blade and making up the handle and sheath so it becomes a lot more special perhaps? Just a thought... Or the little round tip opinel also looks like a nice option..

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Got my boy a Hultafors Safety Knife when he was six, good introduction to knives in my opinion. I also use the same knives for teaching Beavers, Cubs and Scouts. I'm much happier with my son having a fixed blade knife than a folding one.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I bought my son an Opinal and that is the one I recommend to cubs (8-10 yr) if the SAK then nothing bigger than a Camper. I'm not convinced by the rounded tip ones.
As for fixed blade, I bought him a Mora Scout, I had one as scout too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
why the rounded blades?

were you given them when you were a kid? Not trying to troll but I don't recall them being about when I was a kid - I was given what turned out to be a MIC Sodbuster, and a SAK when I was about that age and I understood what they were for...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
why the rounded blades?

were you given them when you were a kid? Not trying to troll but I don't recall them being about when I was a kid - I was given what turned out to be a MIC Sodbuster, and a SAK when I was about that age and I understood what they were for...

They weren't about when I was a kid. But if they were I may have got a knife to practice with a year or two earlier. Once I'm happy he's safe I have a home made scandi waiting for him and I'll put a point on the opinel.

He doesn't need a point for the cuts and techniques I want him to learn.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
why the rounded blades?

When he has more skills and confidence I'll then move him on to one with a point, he has no need currently for a point on the end of his knife so I'd rather not be worrying about a sharp end when I'm teaching him. If I'd started with a rounded blade I might not now have a scar on my knuckle where I stabbed myself with a SAK aged 10...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
why the rounded blades?

I'm with you on this one Corso, but some organisations that still actually a child to have a knife recommend or only allow the rounded type. Like you I was given a knife with a point shown how to look after it and a wee safety "talk" tantamount too "do anything daft with it and it'll get taken off you and I'll tan your hide".

I've never thought about abusing the fact that it's in my pocket but if it's the only way a child can have one hey! It wouldn't stop a nutter they'd either sharpen it on a concrete block or go get a kitchen knife.

I'm all for teaching whilst young, whether it's knives', firearms or just being a responsible member of society in general.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
When he has more skills and confidence I'll then move him on to one with a point, he has no need currently for a point on the end of his knife so I'd rather not be worrying about a sharp end when I'm teaching him. If I'd started with a rounded blade I might not now have a scar on my knuckle where I stabbed myself with a SAK aged 10...

....great minds...

not my kids so not really for me to say but...

I was always taught the point was never the most dangerous part of the knife to the user unless re-sheathing it without concentration. Muscle memory is important. Having a blunt ended knife does not teach the respect a knife deserves it just avoids it.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
My two had Mora Clippers from an early age and they were only allowed to use them under my direct supervision until such time they were a bit older and more experienced in the use of sharps and i was happy that they were not a danger to themselves or indeed anyone else and could be trusted to use them without me looking over their shoulders all the time, even though in truth and despite them being 16 & 14 now, i still do look over their shoulders when the sharps are out.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
And that's all that needs saying really.

As usual opinions get asked for and when given the usual crowed jump in with their twisted agenda and sarky attitude

The sad thing is for hundreds of years sons were given smaller but no less sharp knives their fathers had and no one batted an eyelid fast forward to PC land and some would rather they be given spoons and maybe a bowel to beg with...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
As usual opinions get asked for and when given the usual crowed jump in with their twisted agenda and sarky attitude

The sad thing is for hundreds of years sons were given smaller but no less sharp knives their fathers had and no one batted an eyelid fast forward to PC land and some would rather they be given spoons and maybe a bowel to beg with...

Usual crowd?

No attitude. All kids are different and as the parent I'm best positioned to judge what's best for mine. It's a very personal thing with no one size fits all solution. Hence my reply, it was completely devoid of sarcasm.

It's nothing to do with political correctness. Wind your neck back in and bring up your kids the way you want too.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE