Children's Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I am really looking forward to when my daughter is old enough to appreciate this stuff. She loves animals now so I hope it continues like that (she's 15 months). She doesn't even mind getting wet in the rain!!

Emma S

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Hi, Im new on here.
we just came back from the Wilderness gathering and my 9 year old loved the freedom and joining in all the classes she could. we bought her a knife after she completed her knife safety course, and she spent most evenings whittling away. We are hoping to offer alot of the bushcraft/rural skills as part of our educational access programme as an 'alternative' farm visit, which will allow free visits for local schools to our farm (hopefully will be up and running next year)

Jul 13, 2010
Tolkamer
OK - my boy will be 10 at the end of the month - what bushcrafty item do I get him for his birthday? He has a tarp, hammock, backpack. SWMBO says 'no knives'...so what can I get him??????

N
Something like a sleeping bag or clothing? I don't know, don't have any kids. :), or like a binocolars (is that how you spell it?).

Jul 13, 2010
Tolkamer
Can any one remember where abouts,and on what dvd Chris Boyton and Ray mears
make that bow (and some arrows!) in some English woodland?!
Cheers folks.
Chris.
I don't know where to buy those DVD's but a bow is best made with Taxus (is that correct?) wood, the arrows of that nutbushthing with very straight twines, heat them above a fire to straighten them. The bow has to be around, as I remember, 4,5 cm thick. As the ends about 2.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I've been teaching my children a few basics, being how to make and maintain a fire and how to use a knife.
I went for a fixed blade knife, because I am not too happy with the little folding knifes. The chances of these snapping shut, while being handled are too great.
05leerschool02.jpg

05leerschool01.jpg

Another basic I am (trying) to teach them, is how to make shelters.

onderkomensven.jpg

3svenshelter.jpg

And from that I'll gradually increase mine and then their skills.
The great thing of teaching them is that I immediately find out if I know what I'm talking about!

Suzanne

Jan 19, 2011
Cornwall
I've been looking about for information on bushcraft for Children and there's hardly anything that's orientated around the younger generation, the future generation of bushcrafters.

So, I want some help from you lot to compile a list of activities, with descriptions as appropriate, of activities for kids. Feel free to list obvious things as well as more abstract and I would like everything you can think of, this is the opportunity for a huge brainstorm :eek:):

The activities can be practical and theoretical, interactive or presentational...Whatever, as long as it's orientated around younger people.

I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions and I'll compile them into a resource that we can all use.

Cheers :You_Rock_

Hi,

I just came across your blog. I live in Cornwall and last summer I sent my 2 kids (8 and 10) to a bush craft day at an outdoor centre called BF Adventure they had a brilliant time learning to light fires without matches, build their own shelter and tripods, fences etc. made of wood. Perhaps they can give you some advice. The website is
http://www.bfadventure.org/activities_forest_school_cornwall.html

Hope I could help :eek:
S

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Can any one remember where abouts,and on what dvd Chris Boyton and Ray mears
make that bow (and some arrows!) in some English woodland?!
Cheers folks.
Chris.

Wasn't that the very first episode of season 1 of the "Ray Mears Bushcraft Survival" programs.

I think it's called "Aboriginal England" or "Aboriginal Britain" or something like that - my memory isn't what it was...

:D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I see this is an old thread so I can only hope the OP is still reading it. It's also a long thread so I hope I'm not just repeating someone else's suggestion. Do the obvious; put your youth in the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Hello all long time no see. Anyway, great thread! I'm putting together a little weekend for me and my mini me's along with a couple of other dads and theirs. I've come up with a few activities for us but also wanted to throw in some games (games not really being my strongest point!) any suggestions?

P

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I've got totally engrossed in this thread, and came across this link a little while ago whilst idly googling! Woodland Trust I've accessed it myself and seems fine. It's not bushcrafty or survivalist but there is some fun stuff for the little'n's to do and thought it might be of interest.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have had a go-ahead for an Outdoor Learning Programme for disaffected kids. It's only one a afternoon a week but for a year. So 38 weeks at 3hrs a week, 3hrs in a row.

So far we have - Rock Climbing,
Certificated - Fodd Hygiene Certicicates, John Muir Award, Canoe Paddlepower, DofE Bronze and as I'm CDT we can do bird boxes, planters, worm farms, a tool cupboard, most of the wood from recycled pallets, plastic bottle greenhouse, wind vanes/solar power. We have a fenced garden at school so can be combined with visits to local forrests, wastelands and parks.The canal Waterway Trust has volunteer programmes eg paint railings and lock gates, help clear footpaths. The kids are 15+.

So what Bushcraft Skills -
Plant/tree ID -hardwoods, softwoods and uses
Edible Plants - pignut, wild garlic, willow, pine, brambles/berries
Fire Lighting, kindling selection
Shelter building,natural and tarps etc.
Cooking over fires and stoves

What other Bushcraft skills ? (without sharps and machines)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I'm taking my daughter (2 and a bit years old...eeek) out to the woods for some Heffalump hunting tomorrow. Should be good. She loves the outdoors even if it's cold and raining. Ha, I call her 'Uncle Ray'. It's Forestry Commission land open to the public on Anglesey so nothing TOO adventurous! It's been a long time since I've been out in the woods myself.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
@Ron, I agree that folders are a lot more dangerouse to kids. I watched with horror as a non locking knife closed on my 9 year old sisters fingers when I was abouit 11(A lesson that has stayed with me for 20 years). The knife went in the bin(some times I regret that, as it was a gift from a relative that is no longer with us) and I've not used one since. SAK & Multi tool knife blades are just kept in the handle.

@Scots...., I donth think there are that many things that you can teach without using, or refering to sharps(or fire), and if you try I think the kids will be mighty bored.

@Chris the Cat, The chap from Man, Woman, Wild made a recurve bow, and I've been able to find it online.

Is there anything we should omit from teaching scouts(10-14 year olds), or should we go into all the gory details? Skinning & preparing fish & small game etc.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The problem is, is that many these days can not deal with all the gory details anymore.
As long as there's blodd and guts on tv it seems te be ok, but in real life?
On the other hand it show the kids where the meat really originates from. That is once was a real living animal and not some hump of "meat", wrapped in foil from the supermarket. It all depends on your audience....
Personally I'd say go for it.....

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
You have to watch out because when i went on a sort of jamboree thing with a few people from my scouts, one of the activitys was bushcraft and i was scheduled to do it. When i went the main guy doing is seemed to be pretty annoyed that a i knew more than him about bushcraft and tryed to put me down about it, so watch out, some people are just weird...

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Theres an organisation called 'Woodcraft Folk' too... not had a whole heap o'luck getting in touch in my area but there is national coverage. I think some of the groups focus on environmental issues and campaigning but theres a fair bit of bushcraft too from what I've heard... the main site is at http://www.woodcraft.org.uk/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE