Chicken of the woods???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Do chicken of the woods or sulphur polypore grow cherry trees? I've just found one (i think) growing on a large wound on the main trunk on a cherry tree thats more or less appeared overnight. Does anyone know if they grow on cherry trees as i have never heard of it, but i dont know what else it is and at this time of the year? Is it too early, despite the warmth we've just had?

Unfortunately i cannot put up any photo's

Cheers all.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
HI Billycan,
Here's a passage from "Mushroom Pickers Foolproof Field Guide" about it...

Habitat & Season
Grows on deciduous trees, particularly oak and sweet chestnut, but may also be found on yew, cherry and willow. The season is usually from late spring to early autumn, but if the winter has been mild it will often appear much earlier, so keep a look out for it.

Sounds to me like you don't need much help Buddy ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

Arvensis

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2006
Eastleigh
Someone I know has it growing on a cherry tree in their garden. I would avoid any growing on Yew because of the possibilty of it absorbing the trees' toxins.

Mark

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
Those are great. I love them. A fellow I know once brought a pan of Chicken of the Woods Enchiladas to a party I was at. They were awesome. I usually make them in a casserole.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE