Chicken Carcass Help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Hello,

Cooked diner for the family tonight and have a lovely chicken carcass left over - I'd like to have a go at making a nice soup out of it and thought that I'd head hear rather than the river cottage forum or blah blah blah.

Any good recipes to share on how to get the most out of your bird? (behave)

udamiano

On a new journey
Chicken Kickin Soup!!!

Spring Onion
Chilli (how hot is up to you)
Ginger
Celery
Carrots
Cream

and of course the chicken

Stick the carcass in a large pan and add the Veg, cook until all the meat falls off the bone, then remove bones, add Cream to taste a quick blitz in a food processor (I like to keep it still fairly chunky) serve with warm bread in front on the fire.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Yep, just as said really.

get the carcass and any juices from the roasting tin into a pot and boil the remaining meat off the bones.

Then add whatever you like, whatever it is, it'll be tasty.

Boil carcass with a peeled and halved onion, carrot, bay leaves, pepper corns, celery if you have it in a couple of litres of water.
Strain and cool. Scoop or scrape off most of the yellw fat. Now you have great stock to do loads of soups or even risottos etc.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
if you look on www.4oD.com you'll find most of the episodes of river cottage, the one where huge furry whipping stool shows how to make a soup from a chicken carcass is definately on there, i watched it quite recently, and it's a cracking soup

HTH

stuart

edit: on second thoughts, it might actually be an episode of "hughs chicken run" where he makes the soup, but that's on 4oD too

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you have a pressure cooker then you can literally reduce most of it to a jelly.
It's brilliant stock and you can use if for anything you would normally add stock to.

Remove bones and fork off any meat remaining into the stock. Leave it aside in a bowl to set. The fat will rise to the surface and it can be used like goose fat. It makes very good roasted herby potatoes.
The jelly rich stock with the flakes of meat in it can be heated and then seasoned, and then slowly simmered down.
Usually it's peppered or chillied and then poured into wee dishes to set.
Like potted hough it's served with salad or on hot buttered toast or oatcakes.

cheers,
Toddy

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Boil carcass with a peeled and halved onion, carrot, bay leaves, pepper corns, celery if you have it in a couple of litres of water.
Strain and cool. Scoop or scrape off most of the yellw fat. Now you have great stock to do loads of soups or even risottos etc.

same as what david says here, i also like to portion up some of my whole chickens when bought in bulk and freeze the uncooked carcass's until i have enough to make a big stock pot of chicken stock and then it can be used to make lots of different dishes.
p.s the best chicken soup ive had was a jewish chicken soup with motza ball dumplings that i found off the internat.

cheers andrew.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Thanks for the ideas all!

I don't have a pressure cooker but that looks like a good way to get the most out of the leftovers - I just have to attempt some chicken kicken soup, that title needs trademarking!

Time for some late night simmering, Might have to have a go at making some bannock bread to go with it for lunch - been dying for an excuse to use some of the other recipes I've seen for that 'round the site.

Cheers

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
My chicken soup for the soul

Boil carcass with onion, carrot, stick of celery, parsley and bay. Let it reduce then stain.

Add stock to saucepan with tin of cream sweetcorn, spoon of thai curry paste and any scraps of chicken.

Heat and serve - delicious.

Alex

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Well it's well past my bedtime and the cookings done - fantastic.
Managed to get a lovely looking stock out of a roasted carcass, 2 apples, a quarted onion, a thoroughly brutalised garlic bulb and enough ginger to put Chris Evans to shame.
What's more after pulling through all the meat to get the bones out I've got sandwich fillings for the rest of the week too - cheers guys and gals, you've added about half a weeks grub to my fridge.

Brewers Whoop

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
Somerset
A glass of white wine added to the stock is good too. Well you have to do something with the filthy stuff. Similraly to Northumbrian, I usually wrap the carcass in clingfilm and bung it in the freezer until I have two or three, to make more stock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE