chess?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Been playing since primary school,very enjoyable game very simple rules but the strategy involved can take years to master.Another 20 years and I may be good at it.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Used to play a fair bit, but it would be stretching the truth to claim any great skill at it on my part.

These days? I occasionally beat the computer at it, if I set it low enough :D

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
I sometimes bring one when we head into the wild, specialy in the winter when it gets dark at around 1500 and stays like that unto around 0900 then there can be many hours to kill.

I think its great as there is no luck only skill.

I view it as a combat simulator with diffrent units not a board game with diffrent pieces :) *GG

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I used to play a lot and was never without a board when our in the woods for a few days. :)
Learn a few proper openers and standard repsonses and it makes the game much more interesting. Gotta have somone roughly around your skill level to make it interesting.... You can play against your self but i tend to cheat :eek:

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I don't play chess but I have a travel 'Go' set which I keep forgetting to take when I'm out and about. I think It'd be a good campfire game.

Does anybody play games like chess, go or backgammon by the fireside?

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
I don't play chess but I have a travel 'Go' set which I keep forgetting to take when I'm out and about. I think It'd be a good campfire game.

Does anybody play games like chess, go or backgammon by the fireside?

Yes most oftenly in the winter, see my ealier post in this threat, but to that i can add on our annual cannoe trip we bring RISK :)

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
I love chess and have a couple of really nice poratble pocket sets which means I can take them with me whenever I'm out and about. My brother turned his own set on his small lathe at Christmas for our dad - if he has a photo I'll get him to post it.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
not just by the fire i'm playing about 5 to 10 games a day at the minute and analysing some of them on fritz too i really want to get better.
i'd love to learn how to play backgammon i've tried teaching myself and i still don't get it lol

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I used to play it with my dad when I still lived back home. One or two moves a day (it sat on a side table), usually before I left for school / after I came back. Longest match took about 3 months ...
Great fun!

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Used to play a lot , not so much now but getting back into it . Used to play about 9+ moves ahead but atm still only playing 3 ish . Loving it though .

RE Backgammon - for a beginner it should be pretty simple to get the basics as the dice pretty much decide your move for you . As a beginner it's pretty much like ludo with a few extra rules .
Cheers , Trev .
PS, I'm sure you must be able to play Backgammon OL , picking it up playing is a lot easier than looking at the rules .

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i fancy carving my own pieces, i'll use ray mears as the king and bear grylls as the pawns. les stroud as the rook and mors as the knight :D

yeah i used to play alot but haven't recently, unless you count BATTLECHESS on my recently referbed amiga :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE