chess?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The internet has boosted chess quite a bit. You can download for free some very very strong 'chess engines' that will beat nearly all human players.

You can also play people on line. Interestingly some online players have such high ELO ratings they really ought to be playing in International tournaments - though of course, it's impossible for the opponent to know if they are using their brain or a PC.:rolleyes:

Another nice feature of the chess engines is the 'kibbitz' feature. Kibbitz is a great word that means to give unwanted advice or suggestions. When it's your turn to play, you can set the computer to think more or less deeply (in terms of thinking, say, 8 or 10 moves ahead) and make suggestions accordingly.

All good fun, though I find it all pretty frustrating getting soundly beaten by the PC so often.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Should also add that you can get really beautiful hand made wooden chess sets on Ebay from India at very low cost (£10-£15 for the smaller travel sets). Even if you don't play much, they look very fine in the den, and of course if you have children it's a good game, encouraging logic and reasoning.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A game with a good friend who is just a little better than me, in fireside chairs with a good bottle of scotch is a joy.

I'm a very poor player but its a pleasant, companiable way to pass a wet evening and much better than the idiot box

Red

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'd never played it in my life until recently, and only because it was installed on the lappie I thought i'd give it a try.

Out of 400 games I've drawn (stalemate?) 100x, won 100x, and had my behind handed to me 200x on the easy level - but I'm hooked.

I'll need to do some homework on the game instead of just having a bash.

Liam

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I used to play on the school team when i was eight, sort of lost interest in it as i grew up. I should start playing again :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE