Cheshire Rabbit Hunter needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Chaps,

i'm looking for someone who's willing to volunteer some time to bagging some rabbits? you'll be helping the BTCV out with a serious rabbit problem, and of course you get plenty of fresh (and well fed) rabbit.

At present the BTCV have a site in Norley, just east of Delemere forest and there is a war being waged. dispite the best efforts of the guys there the tree nursery is being overun by flopsy, mopsy and cottontail, if you wander round the site you'll see signs everywhere of the little blighters and they're getting a little overwhelmed.

i was speaking with one of the chaps and they need someone to come in and shoot some of these blighters, it'll probebly be an air rifle job but there's a nice ex mod command post to use as a backstop (whole site is ex mod). i'd do this myself but i'm no where near setup ready for this yet and probebly won't be until the summer.

if your in the cheshire area and don't mind helping out these guys please drop me a PM to discuss further, we really need help!

thanks

Pete

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I wish I lived a bit closer! Good luck with it, after shooting loads of them it's a good idea to bung them in a pot of boiling water and then simmer for a few hours. Once the meat drops off the bone, you can stow it in freezer bags or tubs until you need it, and it takes up less room this way so you can get more in the freezer. Plus, the wife/girlfriend/mum won't scream when she opens the freezer unlike when there is a skinned corpse staring back at her!

Alessio

Mar 3, 2010
Swansea, Wales
I sooo wish I could do this >.< I love rabbit, its great in stew =D

Where would you get training/ a license for this kind of thing? And what kind of weapons would you use? I'd love to give it a go and see it done with ferrets, could be good fun.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
ideally you'd look at getting yourself a decent air rifle, higher powered the better tbh for range and killshots. you'll want to maybe join a club or practice hitting a 2p size target at about 30 yards consistantly.
then you contact BASC and join them, you'll be able to take up their insurance scheme.

this is all in my general plan for the next few months but until i'm up and running i need peeps to clear these bunnies out before they have pups and everything gets munched!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
ideally you'd look at getting yourself a decent air rifle, higher powered the better tbh for range and killshots. you'll want to maybe join a club or practice hitting a 2p size target at about 30 yards consistantly.
then you contact BASC and join them, you'll be able to take up their insurance scheme.

this is all in my general plan for the next few months but until i'm up and running i need peeps to clear these bunnies out before they have pups and everything gets munched!

Dont worry about power, power counts for jack if you cant hit what your aiming at. If you can hit what your aiming at then power still counts for hardly anything as a head shot will drop a rabbit. Legal limit is all you need unless you cant get within 50 yards of them and thats unlikely, I have snuck up on a hare on a golf course fairway :D

The 2p bit is the most important. 10 shots in a 1 inch circle. When you can do that standing kneeling and prone your a proficient shot. Only then should you consider taking quarry.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Dont worry about power, power counts for jack if you cant hit what your aiming at. If you can hit what your aiming at then power still counts for hardly anything as a head shot will drop a rabbit. Legal limit is all you need unless you cant get within 50 yards of them and thats unlikely, I have snuck up on a hare on a golf course fairway :D

The 2p bit is the most important. 10 shots in a 1 inch circle. When you can do that standing kneeling and prone your a proficient shot. Only then should you consider taking quarry.

what he said! there's guys on the hunting forums that use 7-9flb rifles to headshot rabbits, as long as you can consistantly hit that 1" spot between ear and eye you pretty much get a killshot each time.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I think we're sorted for the current site, however there may be more sites in the future as we work with alot of farmers in the area so i'll pop your name on the list m8 ;)
cheers!

May 22, 2010
Chester
Hi, are you still looking for local rabbit hunters? I shoot with Fort HFT club, and am a full member of basc. I am very keen to help out, please let me know if you are interested, regards, Steve.

dkh66

Oct 14, 2010
cheshire
Hi new on here and just saw your request,i know its a little late but just put me on your list if you or you know of anyone who needs there rabbit problem sorting out . There is three of us all with HW100 and we are all covered by BASC so drop me a line anytime cheers .

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hi,

thanks for the offers guys, i believe this is still being managed but i'll double check either way.
thanks
pete

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I'm still managing the problem, Pete. There isn't much action on the original site now, I only go about once every three weeks to check things over, maybe take the odd 1 or 2. I did get another shoot off the back of it though, and I can still walk away with half a dozen rabbits and the odd pidgeon on a good day.

ATB - PJ

rabbit runner

Feb 17, 2011
bury
Chaps,

i'm looking for someone who's willing to volunteer some time to bagging some rabbits? you'll be helping the BTCV out with a serious rabbit problem, and of course you get plenty of fresh (and well fed) rabbit.

At present the BTCV have a site in Norley, just east of Delemere forest and there is a war being waged. dispite the best efforts of the guys there the tree nursery is being overun by flopsy, mopsy and cottontail, if you wander round the site you'll see signs everywhere of the little blighters and they're getting a little overwhelmed.

i was speaking with one of the chaps and they need someone to come in and shoot some of these blighters, it'll probebly be an air rifle job but there's a nice ex mod command post to use as a backstop (whole site is ex mod). i'd do this myself but i'm no where near setup ready for this yet and probebly won't be until the summer.

if your in the cheshire area and don't mind helping out these guys please drop me a PM to discuss further, we really need help!

thanks

Pete

are you still in need of rabbit control as i would love to come and use my ferrets ant lurcher fully insured and no mess ex mil

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Still under management tbh, i should ask the mods to close this actually.
thanks for the offer but site is being looked after ;)
pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE