Cherry bow finished

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi all,

Well I have to call this one finished. There are a few things i am not happy about but as this one is for me i can be less fussy (read obsessive)
Will try and take some more shots outside but its tricky with the weather, work n little boy.
59 inches nock to nock and 50lbs at 28", prunus avium, silk backing for 2/3 of the limb and buffalo horn nocks. Thanks for looking,

P1010050.jpg

P1010048.jpg

P1010051.jpg

P1010077.jpg

Full draw pinched from another post.

P1010032-1.jpg

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
Beautiful bow, Ii've come to favour this length myself, about 60 inches, not too short to risk breakage and not too long to make it awkward to carry around the woods. I made a cherry bow before but pushed my luck with a draw weight of 70lbs and fairly narrow limbs and I got some compression buckling on the belly, the bow isn't broken but I'm afraid to draw it fully out. I see you've kept the outer limb thick and stiff, to reduce stacking I presume? I made a bowstring, about 5mm thick from wych elm bark the other day it was holding up okay on a hazel bow of mine, but the draw weight is probably only 35 lbs or so, I wonder if the string would snap on your 50lb bow.. hmmm..

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Beautiful bow, Ii've come to favour this length myself, about 60 inches, not too short to risk breakage and not too long to make it awkward to carry around the woods. I made a cherry bow before but pushed my luck with a draw weight of 70lbs and fairly narrow limbs and I got some compression buckling on the belly, the bow isn't broken but I'm afraid to draw it fully out. I see you've kept the outer limb thick and stiff, to reduce stacking I presume? I made a bowstring, about 5mm thick from wych elm bark the other day it was holding up okay on a hazel bow of mine, but the draw weight is probably only 35 lbs or so, I wonder if the string would snap on your 50lb bow.. hmmm..

The tips are pretty thin and yeah stiff, could be less mass there but risking damage from bashing about in the brush. Helps to reduce stacking and i have gone further with previous bows but not as stiff as these. To be honest i was pushing my luck with a stiff handle and tips but as it was for me i always like to experiment a bit. Next time around i would go for a little more length with this combo of "stiff bits". Wych elm is about the only go-to cordage i use due to its abundance at my play woods and it is strong stuff but not with my poor attempts.

Cheers lannyman mate.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That bow is a topper goodjob is there a book you can recommend for a beginner at bow making ?

Jason

Thanks all,

Jason, the bowyers bible books are the best that i know of,
Best advice though is to just get stuck in and bend some wood. Its one of those skills that you just need to have a go at to be able to appreciate what you need to learn from the books.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Nice one! Is the bow a bend through the handle style, can't quite see from the pics? Must be right on the limit safety wise if not would you think? Do you use cherry staves or boards for your bows? I have a 5"x2" board of cherry, not sure what sort but have yet to use it? Would you recommend a backing for all cherry?

Also for Jason, as well as the already mentioned 'Bible' series I recommend a book titled 'The bent stick' by Paul Comstock. I was struggling in Bowyery until I read this book. It's good as it primarily deals with the 'white woods' and not just Osage Orange and Yew.

Steve.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice one! Is the bow a bend through the handle style, can't quite see from the pics? Must be right on the limit safety wise if not would you think? Do you use cherry staves or boards for your bows? I have a 5"x2" board of cherry, not sure what sort but have yet to use it? Would you recommend a backing for all cherry?

Also for Jason, as well as the already mentioned 'Bible' series I recommend a book titled 'The bent stick' by Paul Comstock. I was struggling in Bowyery until I read this book. It's good as it primarily deals with the 'white woods' and not just Osage Orange and Yew.

Steve.

Hi Steve,
No the handle doesnt bend and neither do the tips:goodluck: so in short yeah taking the mick a bit ;)

Working limbs are pretty short but as the bow was for me I didnt mind giving it a go and it seems to work fine. I pulled it to 29 on the board and whilst it put up with it it was starting to complain. But at 28 its fine and my draw with shorter bows seems to be nearer 27 these days.

I have never used a board in my life, not through choice its just most of our timber up here is wubbish, plus i like to know where it has been. Could not help with a backing either sorry as i only tend to make self bows.

Thankd for the comments all.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE