Cheese With Hot Dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do You Have Cheese On A Hot Dog?

• Yes

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Sorry for this.
But having a barbecue this evening and a debate (and, since we're talking barbecues, it's an 'intense' debate) has erupted about whether one should have cheese in a hot dog.
We're not talking burgers.
It's hot dogs.
What do I mean by hot dogs?
Well, I'm encompassing the whole range of sausage type things. Any tube of pink unterfleisch that gets put in a roll. Could be a Cumberland sausage, a good old pork sausage, frankfurter, bratwurst (my favourite), dammit - even a veggie sausage! Plus all those I haven't mentioned.
Now, I know some of you will say, 'I'd put cheese with sausage A, but never with sausage B.' And some of you may say, 'what kind of cheese - a slice of cheddar or a piece of plastic cheese?'
But we have go with an 'on balance' response.
Ideally respond by 5pm this evening.
Simple question - do you put cheese in a hot dog?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
On a Cumberland or good ole pork sossidge, then yes a slice of cheddar melted over it would be most acceptable. I would not consider anything else of a similar form offered even as a comestible.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Do you mean real proper cheese or the horrible processed sliced cheese in plastic wrappers?

As for putting it on hot dogs, I'm with Bob and it has to be a decent proper pork sausage. Anything else isn't really edible

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’m disenfranchised by the clock but:-

Narrowing your definition down to those lurid items labelled “hot dog sausage” you’d HAVE to have something with it or it won’t taste of anything. Cheese and a bit of Coleman’s will do.

How much research went into removing every trace of flavour or taste from an allegedly pork product.
Pork or pork adjacent product if you are a Pratchet reader.

Hope it went well. How did the your actual debate go in the end?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Lidl frankfurters with cheese in a bun, American mustard, ketchup and fried onions..... Food of the gods.

Lidl frankfurters with cheese heated up, popped into a flask, couple of slices of bread in a Chinese takeaway container, in the bag for a days fishing.... Heaven. :)

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
our famous Pinks hotdogs in Hollywood ; bun, hotdog, chile
And cheese. Orson Wells was seen walking away with six the night he passed from a heart attack.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Older than you think.

But how no-one is talking about the amazing brine water that they come in? Neck that like a pirate and be the man you've always wanted to be!! :)

Reactions: Robbi

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
TeeDee,
The author refers to the ‘Native Americans.’ Of the Millions of people and thousands of distinct cultures and four major linguistic groups, none called themselves
‘Americans.’ The usual word often translated as ‘ the people’ names for neighboring groups and the rests ‘enemies.’ NOBODY knew about an Eyetalian geographer named Amerigo Vespucci who never left macaroni land.
Kav; Choctaw, Cherokee, Kiowa Nations and Irish, initiated clan member, White Mountain Apache, voter registration Independent.

Reactions: nigelp

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
TeeDee,
The author refers to the ‘Native Americans.’ Of the Millions of people and thousands of distinct cultures and four major linguistic groups, none called themselves
‘Americans.’ The usual word often translated as ‘ the people’ names for neighboring groups and the rests ‘enemies.’ NOBODY knew about an Eyetalian geographer named Amerigo Vespucci who never left macaroni land.
Kav; Choctaw, Cherokee, Kiowa Nations and Irish, initiated clan member, White Mountain Apache, voter registration Independent.

Is that specifically Hot Dog related as its prime input ? or more an argument / debate regarding the grouping term or a people?? Do you feel its relevant to this topic?

These are all good questions that you may want to ponder in your own time.

Reactions: gg012 and Stew

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I must confess to being surprised to see the scores so evenly split.
OK, so I was on the 'no cheese with a hot dog' side of the debate.
In fact, apart from those German sausage stalls you see at Christmas markets that sell sausages stuffed with cheese, I'd never seen anyone had cheese with a sausage. But that's Germans for you - melted cheese on just about everything.

But I was open-minded about it.
So at the barbecue I thought I'd give it a go - I had one with cheese and one without.
Some caveats first. The sausages were good old pork sausages. Nothing clever or fancy. The cheese was plastic cheese slices.
The one with cheese? It was...OK. No better than that. I didn't dislike it, I just didn't like it either. The creaminess of the cheese got in the way of the taste of the sausage (I presume we all choose not to think about what's actually in a sausage, and just take them at face value. Thinking about what's in a sausage will do no one any good).
So I can now say I've tried it, and I can now say confidently, NO - you do NOT have cheese in a hot dog! All of you who voted in favour of it need to sit yourselves down and give yourselves a stern talking to. Next you'll be having fruit in bombay mix and then, I'm afraid, I shall have to call the Police.
As an aside, when I mentioned this debate at the barbecue, everyone else also screwed their nose at the idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE