check out this bit of gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
That looks OK but a bit cheap which means it may not last years. Another idea is to buy a surplus or second hand rucksac which was more expensive new but is now more affordable.

http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr377.html this is an example and only £10! people may not like the exact style but this is current issue to everyone but the infantry in the british army. you can add pockets for £20 giving a big, hardwaring bag for £30.

Whatever you think of that one I would still spend £40 on a secondhand bag rather than the same on a new one.

Bill

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The Forces (make) of gear aren't that bad, my nephew has a 30 ltr day sack which is pretty good all told. And a good price doesnt necessarily mean the item is no good, we all know the PREMAC story - however as Tenbears points out surplus gear is cheap and robust - one thing to watch out for there is grade one can mean excessive wear or damaged parts that while not making the item useless does mean it was rejected by the army and it also means your choice is limited to DPM, faded and worn on the edges but DPM none the less

A good 'between' level of gear is either Hiighland products or Webtex.

If I were to hand on heart recommend anything to you I would have to say get a webtex 3/4 size PLCE Bergen in green - my 13 year old son has one of these and it is the perfect fit for his size and age (and there for I deduce yours too) it is also reasonably priced and has the detachable daysacks.

I have used the full size one since leaving the army and it has never been found wanting so to my mind it is as good as it gets..

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I think this rucsac is by Highlander - see recent thread on Highlander kit.

I have the Forces 25 and it is good and robust, despite significant abuse.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
They look great but i just can't afford £65 at the moment. Perhaps someones got a 2nd hand one they are looking to sell?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I think this rucsac is by Highlander - see recent thread on Highlander kit.

I have the Forces 25 and it is good and robust, despite significant abuse.

Yep your right..... The Highlander Nevis range is olive green, the Highlander forces range is dpm. I had a 33l Nevis and its lasted about 5 years with alot of use, and have now passed it onto a mate..... still loads of use left in it. An excellent piece of kit for the price.

:)
Ed

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I,m using a highlander forces 44 at the moment but find the side pockets to small plus they are,nt detatchable.So i,m thinking of buying a Rocket pack so as to get all my kit in,reading the info on it ,it says that its mean,t to ride high on the back so does that mean it,ll put more strain on my shoulders or are they really comfortable. I would,nt mind some input here as i don,t want shell out 68 quid then find it,s not for me.

J

jimfs1

stuart f said:
I,m using a highlander forces 44 at the moment but find the side pockets to small plus they are,nt detatchable.So i,m thinking of buying a Rocket pack so as to get all my kit in,reading the info on it ,it says that its mean,t to ride high on the back so does that mean it,ll put more strain on my shoulders or are they really comfortable. I would,nt mind some input here as i don,t want shell out 68 quid then find it,s not for me.

Stuart F,
I'm 5' 10 and I found the Snugpak rode a bit high on my back which made the belt sit around my gut never on my waist, so I could never get it to feel right, so I sold it on.
I presume they are for forces folk who have belt kit so it can rest on the pouches.
Dunno?
jimfs1

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I believe that the 55litre has a full back length with a nice padded hip belt, the 44l and 33l are both short back lenghts.....

:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE