Cheaper alternative to meths ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
looked at this a while back, meths in small quantities of dead expensive, your alternatives are bio ethanol, b and q sell it for fires its about £3 a litre. but if your willing to buy 5 litres at a time. meths prices even out to about £3 a litre too, go outdoors sell it and most farm/horse riding stores.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
La Hacienda Bio-Ethanol Fuel 2L is £5 for 2l at B&Q so £2.50 per litre, good price for light users but the methanol at £1.60 a litre is a better option if you use a lot (I use one litre a day minimum in a Heatpal).

Firebow Swagger

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2013
United Kingdom/Essex
Like with Knife laws , the legality of it is vague at best some say you need a licence, But the cops will still nick you and leave it to others or the courts to make up their minds on your guilt

I know a lot of people making bio diesel got nicked for distilling,Aside from the Customs and excise implications, It was probably because of the risk of explosions , and its illegal to store more than 20liters of petrol at home ..so that probably applies too to 90% ethanol/methanol...but not vodka ....what a silly place we live in :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
La Hacienda Bio-Ethanol Fuel 2L is £5 for 2l at B&Q so £2.50 per litre, good price for light users but the methanol at £1.60 a litre

like I said around £3 a litre for bio ethanol.

all depends how it burns too there's not much of a saving if it takes twice as long to cook anything.

how do bio e and ethanol compare to meths in the field?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
As far as energy density is concerned, bio-ethanol, non-bio-ethanol and meths are all much the same.

As far as energy density is concerned, ethanol is much poorer than hydrocarbon fuels like paraffin, petrol and e.g. Coleman Fuel.

As far as energy density is concerned, methanol is even worse than ethanol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#Comparison_with_other_fuels

As far as price is concerned, I buy burning alcohol in France where it's about E1.50 per litre which is still a rip-off if you think that the prices of road fuels include huge amounts of Fuel Duty...

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Distillation for personal (non drinking) use isn't illegal.

Now that is very interesting, have you got a reference on that because that would be good thing to know? You are going to say Google is my friend aren't you? :p

Update from Mountainm: Not in the UK hey, oh well, thanks for checking. Shame, it could have been fun trying. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE