Cheap wax jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, always if you buy some kind of plastic equipment you start a competition with it. You have to wear it out faster than it's able to degrade by aging.

My impression is that only siliconised Nylon fabrics make an exception from this rule. You are lucky that you can get such stuff from the British army pretty cheap, cheap enough for own sewing projects.

How old is your Goretex jacket?

Reactions: Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Afterwards they discovered that the Mercedes G is simply the better car and German made Goretex the material for better rain gear.
I think you make a good point. For the type of country dweller that drives a G Wagon, Goretex is the perfect choice.

For those that drive original Defenders, HiLux etc. an old waxed jacket is much more likely. Wax jackets simply don't go with white jodhpurs and Fairfax and Favor suede boots.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, always if you buy some kind of plastic equipment you start a competition with it. You have to wear it out faster than it's able to degrade by aging.

My impression is that only siliconised Nylon fabrics make an exception from this rule. You are lucky that you can get such stuff from the British army pretty cheap, cheap enough for own sewing projects.

How old is your Goretex jacket?

This one was bought a few years before lockdown, so, not ten years old, but heading that way.
Disappointed in it really because it hasn't had hard wear. It has been used, and worn in wet and windy but not muddy. It was a good fit, I liked the colour, I could use it like an everyday jacket around town, etc.,....while it has to be said that my wax jackets are decidedly 'country' sort of wear. Fine for nipping down to the local shops, but not quite the done thing over a frock going into town, even when it's wet.
Would do that if it were heavy snow though, and I were wearing boots, etc.,

My green wax jacket smells of smoke just now. It needs hung out in some sunshine....hah! like there's a lot of that in Scotland in December :rolleyes: ....to air off.
My navy blue one's both faded and old, but still comfortable to wear, still sound and weatherproof :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Being predominantly a climber of mountains, I generally wear goretex. My last one (goretex paclite) lasted over ten years of moderate use, and I replaced it yesterday.

I do have a fjallraven jacket in their G1000 waxed cotton and find that it really isn't water proof and soaks up water in a prolonged shower. What is it that makes a Barbour jacket waterproof, that fjallraven waxed cotton doesn't have? I am not experienced in the field of waxed jackets.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
More wax.
Just add wax, and then heat the jacket up. Hanging it in hot sunshine does wonders for it, but the tumble drier works very well indeed....or hang it up above a radiator....mind the wax will soften and can mark the wall though if you're not careful.

Some folks use a hairdryer....I think it's a commercial version of that that's used in the factories.

A quick wipe with meths on a rag cleans out the tumble drier if you were overly enthusiastic with the wax :) then just let it blow hot for a minute or so with a handful of kitchen towels in it to make sure they pick up anything.

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
wore the new coat out today for the first time. no rain, but a strong wind.
found the coat to be very comfortable and quite warm. definitely not a summer item.
four decent sized outer pockets and a phone and poachers pocket on the inside.
think i got myself a bit of a bargain providing it is waterproof.

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
Let us know what you think of it.
just to update.
the zip jammed on about the 6th wear out. i was able to free it with some pliers but it is very poor quality and awkward to use.
the coat let in water at the shoulders and arms after about 40 minutes of constant rain. Nikewax proofing has made it waterproof though.

wish id have paid a bit more for something of better quality, the zip is quite annoying.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
just to update.
the zip jammed on about the 6th wear out. i was able to free it with some pliers but it is very poor quality and awkward to use.
the coat let in water at the shoulders and arms after about 40 minutes of constant rain. Nikewax proofing has made it waterproof though.

wish id have paid a bit more for something of better quality, the zip is quite annoying.
Can you replace a zip ?

Seriously, look at the jacket and figure out if it's possible, because I have a drawer load of decent zips meant for jackets like this and if there's one that will fit, then you're welcome to it.

Thanks to the wonders of modern machinery there are very few truly bad zips these days, but most of them benefit from a bit of simple lubrication. Give it a rub with something like lipsyl and see if that helps. It doesn't need much, just enough to let it not jam up/bind.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I strongly suspect manufacturers size entirely on the basis of how economical it is for them to make things. I'm tall and, alas, broad, so a lot of women's stuff is hopelessly too short in body and arm. Have to resort to men's. Not helped by much preferring a loose fit, which in this never-ending era of the skinny fit (see manufacturers' benefits again) means several sizes up from where I technically should be buying. Drives me nuts, and that's despite having absolutely no interest in my appearance and merely looking for something in order to avoid accusations of exhibitionism. The thought of trying to find something that genuinely fits me gives me the cold shivers!

But where were we? Oh yeah. Gortex. Can only agree with the previous posts.
Manufacturers make clothing that will sell, otherwise they would go out of business.

They make a range of sizes that will fit a large number of typical people.

People who have proportions far outside of the typical range won't be a good fit for the standard clothes.

I often have difficulty buying trousers. I have muscular legs and glutes, but a narrow waist (my son is the same). Slim fit trousers are no good for me at all, some would not even go over my calves.

I need trousers to be taken in at the waist or I wear an elasticated belt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE