Cheap Tarp Alternative?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ncarvajal

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2008
UK - Colombia - Norway
Hello Everyone,

I am new to bushcraft and though have been camping for a long time using tents, I have decided to migrate over to using a hammock and tarp system so as to have greater flexibility when choosing a camp site.

I have read many of the posts both on hammocks and tarps/bashas/hoochies/etc, and have decided to go for the following configuration:

1 x DD travel hammock
1 x tarp (3m x 3m)

I will pair this up with some reindeer pelts I got whilst on exped in Bodo, Norway and an old sweedish army front zip sleeping bag.

I think I have found a good deal on the DD Hammock but looking at tarp prices I cannot help but think that £40 for one is a bit steep!

I have come across this website where they are selling 3m x 3m tarps at £6.50 for budget and £14.20 for a topgrade tarp.

http://www.tarpaulinsdirect.co.uk/TarpaulinsSite/product/BD.htm - Budget
http://www.tarpaulinsdirect.co.uk/TarpaulinsSite/product/TG.htm - Top Grade

They only have eyelets every metre but I am sure with a hot nail and some brass eyelets some extras could be made up. So my question to you experts is:

Is there any reason why these would not be suitable for camping? Sorry if I am asking a silly question but your help would be much appreciated as it seems a lot cheaper and maybe I am missing a trick here....

Thanks,
NC

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Only reason I could see for not using them is that they're bright blue and extremely bulky. Other than that they make good group tarps.

Not sure what part of the world you're in but get to decathlon, they have nice sized tarps which are light for £20 .. well worth it in my opinion. (nope, I don't have any connection to decathlon other than being a happy customer).

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
My guess is that you could easily find a green one like that for the same amount at your local hardware store. Ok, colour doesn't matter really.

They are okay to sleep under, doesn't pack away as small as others, and can be noisy in wind. A lot of bang for a small buck though.

Traper

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Poland
I use this kind of tarp. I have a green one. It's absolutely ok. I use it with hammock, bivy bag.
There is no problem to add extre eyelets and tie paracord loops.
But it's not ultralight.

Oh, and the budget version will serve You well. You don't need anything thicker.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I recomend the Decathlon tarp (for the price). But you could pick up a basha for another 15 quid. I now have 3 Decathlon tarps and I have had them out in torential rain with no probs.

Stu.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Those budget ones are available in gree. It says so on the site if you read the small print. Personally, I'd only get what I can fully trust and what i know will hopefully be what I want for the next year or two. I'm not saying that these aren't suitable and for the price it is probably worth a pop. I opted for the Tatonka tarp as I wanted the best. I wasn't dissapointed.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Spam just posted pretty much what I was thinking, which was, no doubt it'll do the job and be OK, but I think after a few times you'll be disappointed in it.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
A "basha" normally has loops along the outside edge for the ridgeline whereas a tarp does'nt. So the basha hangs from it and a tarp hangs over it. Generally although not always.
Basha and Hootchie are both military names really.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
If you have a browse on Ebay (type in 'camo tarp') you can find cheap tarps there for not much more than a fiver.
Two disadvantages with the tarp you have found. Firstly, colour. This one is subjective. But, depending on where you are going, you may not want a bright blue tarp advertising your presence. Go for a green (but even the green ones can be a bit bright) or camo one.
The second disadvantage is there is no centre loop on it. I suppose this one is subjective as well. But that centre loop can often prove useful for pulling the basha/tarp up and creating a canopy.
Either Ebay or Google for 'camo tarp' if you want to do it cheap. I have an all singing/all dancing 2x3m basha but also bought one of those cheaper (camo) tarps similar to what you have been looking at off Ebay for less than a tenner and stitched-in (and weather proofed) a centre loop.
Here's a link to one (you can do it cheaper on Ebay hough):
http://www.kover-it.co.uk/camouflage-tarp-c-3_25.html

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm a bit confused by this, I thought that all shelters of this type have outside loops or water will run down the ridgeline if it goes under the 'roof'?

That problem's overcome with drip strings. Without teaching you to suck eggs, water follows the path of least resistance, so any bit of string tied around the ridgeline, just under the tarp edge, will prevent any water travelling further along the ridgeline into your shelter.

ncarvajal

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2008
UK - Colombia - Norway
Thank you very much to you all for you thoughts on this.

I was not aware that having DPM kit was of such importance (I like bright colours), and I thought that having a tarp with dual colours (bright blue on one side and olive green on the other which that site sells) would serve a dual purpose as a tarp (green side) and as a potential aerial signal in an emergency if spread out on ground (bright blue side). But I can see the point about keeping your presence as discreet as possible if wild camping.

As for the lack of ridgeline loops, I would be interested to know if many of you on here go without them and simply use karabiners or drip lines to avoid water ingress under the tarp?

My idea was to get a length of para cord just shorter than the tarp (by an inch or so) and then attach some karabiners and drip lines to it on either end. Then to those karabiners attach 10ft or so of para cord on each end to enable the ridgeline to be tied to a specific location. My hope was that in spite of having the paracord below the tarp as a ridgeline any water ingress would run off via karabiners and drip lines. It would also mean i could adjust the height of the ridgeline (if needed) straight from the hammock or whilst under the tarp.

Does anyone use this configuration?

Thanks to all for the links to fleabay but to be honest the only two times I bought from them my "nearly new" piece of kit came looking as if it had done 18 months in Hemland and been used as target practice so I am a bit reluctant to buy from there.

However, I will look around at the other links and a bit more on google and if I can come up with a cheap Basha might go for that.

If not, I will go for the tarp and let you all know how I get along. If as some of you suggest it turns out to be more hassle than it is worth then I might swallow and go for a DD Tarp. Any of you rate this kit?

Thanks,

NC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE