cheap ration packs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
the tricky Items to copy/find are:
vegetable stock drink (though a stock cube like "knor"/"Oxo" would be similar).
Screech (orange/lemon drink powder) closest thing probably Lemsip :( (better for you though).

Vegetable stock drink - try vecon stock powder. Comes in a tub, just decant into a freezer bag.

Orange / lemon powder - lucozade do a powdered sports drink with plenty of e-numbers :)

Should have added I've got a few packs of the real orange / lemon powder if anyone wants some

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Nicked from someone on this forum but can't remember who, Lidl do a couple of fruit teas that are basically fruit drink crystals. Not quite screech (love the stuff) but dump in a shedload of sugar and it's similar enough.

I drink the lemon and mixed berry all the time (prefer the mixed berry) when coffee gets too much to palate.
ADD SUGAR :eek: the ingredients are Sugar then Dextrose as the first two ingredients. The directions say use 5 heaped spoons - I use 2 or 3 if I want it sweet. I do have a sweet tooth but don't take sugar in hot drinks.
It tastes quite good. The peach flavour leaves a little to be desired though

Last edited:

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
I sometimes use Wayfarer foods, although not much now because its so much cheaper to take a bucket of rice or whatever. You can get them from lots of outdoor shops such as Blacks, I did some price comparisons a while ago and you can't get them online for much cheaper.
Where I got mine last: Typical meal £3.50 (+ postage so order in bulk)
www.foxsoutdoor.co.uk/camping/food/

That's cool, but two meals and a pudding will still set you back at least tenner + postage. Loooking at this, for eg. http://www.shoponthefarside.co.uk/Ration_Packs_Ration_Pack_-_Menu_C.asp And you get the three retort packs plus all this:

Chicken Noodle, Crunchy granola bar, Cup a Soup Oxtail, Fruit Biscuits, Kendall Mint Cake Chocolate, Chewing Gum, Mixed Fruit, Isotonic drink, 4 x Tea Bags, 4 x Coffee, Creamer, Sugar, Hot Chocolate, Tomato Ketchup, Scouring Pad, Pocket Tissues, Antiseptic Wet Wipes

Obviously your £5 ration pack, if they can still be got, are better value still. I haven't tried for a while, I've still, just, got some stocks - including my last RCIR :-(

The best way to DIY on the cheap is tins, irish stew, all day breakfast etc, but when doing more than walking from the car park to the woods, there's a reason retort packs are popular - better fit in your pack, lighter waste and you can brew up / heat meal simultaneously.

Does anyone know any such good and cheap meals? Sainsburys do a "Long Life Bacon Brunch" which is very nice for brekky and filling @ £1.69. I've occasionally used "Look what I've found", but while nicer, it's not much cheaper than wayfarer, and the packaging means wasting brew water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE